Coloring Your Hair/ A Thread for Men and Women

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:57 am
I have been fooling around with coloring my hair, since I was very young. As a 13 year old, I used to run peroxide through my hair, in the hope of achieving highlights. At around 14-15 I started frosting my hair.

Over the years I have played around with all sorts of hair colors, sometimes professionally done, but mostly on a whim that I had while perusing the drug store aisles.

At one time, in my mid-twenties, I had my hair bleached dead white, as was the fashion in those days. The problem was, that it had to be touched up every three weeks, which is expensive, and it turned my hair into straw. In those days, hair coloring was not as advanced as it is now.

Do you (both men and women) color your hair? Do you intensify your basic color, or do you change it completely? Do you use permanent dyes/bleaches, semi-permanent products, or wash out rinses? Do you use color for dramatic effect, like having an orange streak? Why do you color your hair?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,340 • Replies: 80
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:06 am
When I decide I want a change, I tend to lean to a highlighting type of color instead of changing the whole color.

My hair, naturally has some red highlights to it.
So I go to a salon and get a shade lighter color put in for highlights.

I have tried buying hair color at the stores, but those 'color deposit' products do a number on my hair.
They dry it out and with in a week or so, it can sometimes look brassy- like a bad blonde .

I prefer a color lifter , wich I get in a salon.
It basically takes a bit of color out of my hair and , on its own, it shows a brighter red .

I have not done this in a while though..

now... you got me thinking... ;-)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:08 am
The only time I ever colored my hair I had to repaint my bathroom as a result. I took it as a sign that I shouldn't color my hair.

My creative daughter has been coloring her hair since she was in 8th grade. She's done bright streaks, highlights, overall color and assorted designs. Last year she died her long tips dark, dark blue below an overall auburn (it was very pretty). As much as I am a plain Jane, she is the opposite and considers her hair to be a canvas to be used as a platform for personal expression.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:14 am
i would like to see that blue/auburn combo
That does sound pretty neat!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:17 am
My hair is a medium brown, with reddish highlights. Up until now, I had very little grey. All of a sudden, last week I looked at my hair in a magnifying mirror in the sunlight, and found that I had sprouted quite a bit of grey. It was not something that could be readily seen, but it still bugged me.

I went out and bought one of those "lasts for 28 shampoos", semi-permanent stuff in a medium blonde. It blended in all the grey, and gave my hair a bit of a "sparkle", without changing the color much.

I find that when I am feeling particularly stressed, sparkling up my hair gives me the "lift" that I need.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:19 am
In a way I admire all of you who color your hair. I never dared. The color changes naturally a bit- lighter in summer and now more and more silver in it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:21 am
I sometimes dye my nose hair.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:22 am
I used to bleach my hair constantly. Some times I would add some blue, some times some green, once I did red. Mostly I just left it blonde.

This was, of course, back in my college days. I haven't done anything like that in awhile for fear that it'll all just fall out.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:24 am
I have always thought that women with dark brown or dark red hair, who had grey temples, or a grey crown , looked beautiful.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:28 am
I'v always been blond with just a tinge of gray in my beard. What's to change?
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:33 am
Never have and probably never will change it. It's not all that cool for a guy anyway.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:33 am
Well, Phoenix, I see no point in coloring my hair as the sun has always bleached it for me. <smile>

Happy Valentine's Day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:39 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I have always thought that women with dark brown or dark red hair, who had grey temples, or a grey crown , looked beautiful.

My mom. who is 96, is all white around the front of her head, and pepper salt in the back of it. It looks like that same pattern is emerging in me, but there still is not enough grey yet. If that happens, I won't touch it.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:53 am
Ah, better blonds through chemistry -

my first experience with chemicals was in the early 50's and I used a product called "Light & Bright" that did turn my hair blond. Then my mother decided to give me a home perm which melted my hair at the rootline. We lifted the rollers off leaving a scraggly mess. I had to wear a do-rag until it grew out.

When I attended a class renunion several years ago someone mentioned it. Horrors!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:54 am
Oh boy. My hair has been black, all shades of brown, various reds and even a dark blonde. I've been playing around with haircolor since high school.
As a matter of fact, I'm making an appointment to have it done next week.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:06 am
Clairol Nice 'n Easy #104 is my friend.

Otherwise, I'd be mousy brown with shades of metallic grey and white -- extraordinarily unattractive on a Spring.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:07 am
Blonde... it stays blonde... most I do is put intense auburn tips on my hair (like now)... and I use sun-in to bring out the natural highlights in my hair...

I want to dye it black... but I think that would be bit of a drastic change...
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:23 am
I see no reason to tamper with the perfection of what hair I have left. I have always had a rather odd hair color mixture and the gray hairs have been few. The hairs in my beard seem to match what is left on my head, a mix of copper, light brown, dark brown and almost black along with the stray white hair here and there. This said, even if my hair were to go completely white I would see no reason to do anything to it...might as well just keep it as is. Now if I could only figure out to do with these travel bags forming under my eyes...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:26 am
I loved my natural hair color. Auburn. In the summer, the sun would highlight it naturally, and I always recieved an inordinate amount of compliments (especially from older women...now, that I'm an older woman, I know why they admired it!)

I started going silver in my 20's. My mother has the most gorgeous (to me) shining silver page boy, and I do aspire to that look in a few years. I don't have enough silver, and I'm NOT doing the salt and pepper, so I vacillate between coloring auburn (in summer months) and chocolate in winter. I have run the gamut--chunky streaks, caramel, blond, black. I've settled happily, tho.

My daughter is like JBs. Her hair is a form of self-expression. Black, blue, pink, blond, blond chunks, blue under black (a personal favorite of mine), and her medium brown--which makes her face look angelic.

Viva la Loreal.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:35 am
My mother was a big fan of haircoloring. We can date family photos by what color hair she had at the time....dark auburn, early '50s....platinum blonde, late '50s-early '60s...light brown frosted, late '60s...medium red-brown, '70s...champagne blonde, '80s...golden blonde, '90s. I think her natural color was salt & pepper most of those years, but nobody knew for sure.

She taught me well. I started coloring my hair at 15, and except for 6 months when I was in my mid-20s (I was curious...yep, it's still dull) I haven't seen more than 1/2" of my real color since. Like Jes, it's a mousy brown with some grey (I hear) which really doesn't suit my very fair coloring. I take in a photo of myself when I was in 4th grade when I loved my hair...it was blonde then with lots of red and gold highlights...and I say, "Make it like this again."
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Coloring Your Hair/ A Thread for Men and Women
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 08:58:59