I'm not a naughty little sister any more!!!!!! Waaaaah!

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:24 am
That is great, Boomer!

You are kind of doing the same dance with Mo and his "family" aren't you? No wonder you are good at it!

Come back, Msolg aand Dys.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 05:36 am
But I DID come back, Deb! And revealed all!
And Dys came back, too.

Really interesting thread, this is!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:54 am
I'm third of nine. We range in age from 46 - 17, so the last 3 weren't born until I was out of the house.

I think I'm fairly typical middle child, peacekeeper, avoid conflict, the helper. Also have more natural ability in seeing the problem (psycho-social, not on paper type problems) but don't offer opinions unless asked. Wouldn't want to offend or cause conflict!!!

Being third of many also meant finding creative ways to play and keep myself and younger siblings entertained. That has served me well. My most enjoyable employment involves creativity, decorating, colors, design, etc.

I was often the caregiver for the next three youngest siblings, so I take to that naturally. But, decided early on that teaching wasn't really for me. I think that had a lot to do with Grndma always telling me to find something else to do since I'd been tking care of kids since I was very young.

(Grandma - Bless her. She thought she was doing right by me, but at the time I took it as another vote of no confidence since eldest sister was beautiful and could do no wrong)

The most influence on work from childhood probably came from being on a farm. Much different work ethic. Dad would send us out the driveway at 16 (oldest sister) and 13 (me) with thousands of dollars, horses, equipment, etc. to go to horse shows alone all over the country. Before we pulled out he always said "What's the word?" Our answer was "Be professional."

That still rings in my head no matter where I work.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:11 pm
Eva wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Lol!

No...is it GOOD?

(That's to Eva)

At this stage in my life, comfortable IS good!

More seriously...people do gravitate to whatever is familiar. I suppose that explains a lot of why we repeat childhood patterns.

That, and they become hard wiring, and part of our cognitive schema, or habitual state of mind.

sakhi wrote:
I am an only child too. I had lots of friends but loved being alone. That trait continues till today.

Child of an alcoholic father. Frequent fights at home and disliked my mom, loved my dad. Wanted to run away (but always hung around because of my dad). I remain, till today, an escapist. I tend to run away from problems, especially fights.

And yes, i have always been everyone's confidante Smile - and i've loved that.

Hmmm...yes, I do the confidante thing, and I used to run from fights. It's interesting when you start to face them, and face up to other habitual patterns.

I think part of that is meeting people who fight well, and it can, of course, be done.

msolga wrote:
I'm the youngest of 2 daughters.
Actually, my parents had 3 daughters in all, but daughter no 2 died before I was born.
I was given daughter no 2's name. The replacement, I guess. Thanks, M & D!

Role in the family?: A sort of Henry Kissinger/UN role. It was my job to make peace between the waring factions in the family. Keep the wheels turning smoothly, so to speak. As in : "Mom doesn't understand why you .....", etc, etc, etc ...
I was also the confidant: "Don't tell your mother, or your sister, but ....."
I was also considered the smartest, the most together & blessed with not having any problems what-so-ever of my own. So lucky!
The family members I felt happiest with we're always the cats! :wink:

To this very day I have to fight the urge to find "right" solutions to other folks' problems. Whether they want them or not!
To not listen to secrets I don't really want to know about, meant only for my ears.
To try not to find too many excuses for appalling behaviour.
& most of all ... to stop bloody rescuing drowning folk! Enough, already!

<sigh>

Oy! You have done well.

I had a friend with that role, (and there was violence from her dad in the mix) who, as a nurse, also thought she knew all about "counselling", but was unutterably intrusive and would^be dominating in that role. Drove me insane! But, it was all from terrible fear. As soon as there was the faintest hint of angst or anger in the air, she would be into her fixing thing.

And REPLACING the dead sister! OW! That sucks.

sozobe wrote:
That was my other question -- if you had the same name, how did they refer to her? The first msolga? The dearly departed msolga? :eek:

As I was composing the question I realized that a family that would do that (name a newborn after a dead child) would likely not speak of the dead child.

This is all so... Victorian!

I'm understanding things you've said about your family more fully now (well, I already understood, but that is an extra layer).

Victorian? South Australian, too (Ozzie in joke).

I just KNEW I wasn't allowed to mention my dear sister ever again. I think it was a few years before I knew what she died of...much less got warned about my 2 in 3 chance of being a carrier of the same disease. (Figured it out in genetics in science class, and a random bit of info I picked up somewhere about cystic fibrosis being on a recessive).

Now, the denial in my family was at weird proportions, but I don't think it was all THAT weird at the time.

Like...families often had huge problems getting medical info about sick members of the family. Doctors hardly communicated at all. The dying person seems not to have been told (my mum and sister certainly were not, which drove me nuts in the case of my mum, because I thought it so wrong, but didn't quite dare tell her myself).

When I worked in a hospital from 1984 to 1989 we struggled to make it part of hospital policy that all patients were told diagnosis and prognosis in clear, plain langyuge. A lot of the surgeons talked gobbledygook, deliberately, and people did not know they had terminal cancer, for instance (though custom and communication varied widely)...we lost. Now, of course, they HAVE to explain everything. And, of course, lots of people complain and say they wish they had not been told! Such is life.

Families with sick kids get way more support, too...and sometimes people even think of the poor, bloody siblings, too, bless 'em.

But that naming you thing, Olga...that's just plain sick.

Though...if she died at birth, your mum probably never even saw the body, and was expected not to grieve and just get on with it.

msolga wrote:
It was strange, soz. They never spoke about daughter no 2. (or msolga no 1!) But her death obviously had a huge impact on my mother. She couldn't make much of a connection to me at all. Unless, of course, I was busily resolving family conflict! Weird, hey?

Actually, not weird at all, Olga. Grief'll do that, especially unsupported and unfaced grief.

Sounds just like my family!!!! Only, my poor mum found out her older daughter was dying when she was in hospital having me.

What mum could possibly connect with a new babe in those circumstances? Aargggh, it drives me nuts thinking how little things were understood then.

2PacksAday wrote:
I'm both first and last.

My mother was very young when I was born so we lived with my grandparents until I was about 8, then my mom had another baby {little sister} and we got our own place. I lived with my mom but still spent most weekends and school breaks with my grandparents. When I was 12ish my grandfather was working out of town a lot so I moved in with my grandmother to keep her company....things were reversed then, spending weekends at my moms now. A few years later my mom ended up moving to KC, and I stayed with my grandparents. Besides my mom, who is the oldest she has a brother, he was 14 when I was born.

So for a part of my younger life I was the oldest, but it always felt more as if I were the baby of three kids. Most people in town think of us that way, and most have even forgotten that I really am a grandchild, until my mom comes for a visit, and mentions something about her "son"....she's had a few people question her about that, and it really hurts her feelings.

My sister moved back when she was 20...and after living 15 or so years apart, I once again took the place of older sibling. So usually when I'm around her, I take on the role of the more organised one, the straightfoward nononsence one...the boss. And the opposite when my mom and her brother are here...usually only twice a year...{Christmas, etc} but I still fall into my place as the baby. I set back and let them talk, maybe adding a comment here and there, usually a silly comment, and waiting for the cookies to be done...cause I get the first one.

I'm self employed, an extreme perfectionist with my craft, and not real easy to work for...I tend to be very demanding. I'm not much for silliness or unnecessary talk while working, I generally set the tone and the speed at which we work, and don't like deviations from those. But when not working, I'm very carefree and laid back, basically the total opposite.

I see my work habits as being similar to being the older sibling, when something needs to be done, I'm the one to do it...step back and watch and learn. While not working, I slip into the youngest sibling mode...I couldn't care less if the sky fell in....I'm just here for the ride.

Lol!!! So, you move between roles with ease, but when in one or other, you are really in it! That is interesting. Does that suit you, or would you like to have aspecrts of both roles happening all the time?

dyslexia wrote:
2nd born am I, 1st born died age 3, I was always the one that lived, unfortunately.

I understand you completely.

Only, I was lucky, I got to really know my sister, ad that was a damn fine thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:15 pm
squinney wrote:
I'm third of nine. We range in age from 46 - 17, so the last 3 weren't born until I was out of the house.

I think I'm fairly typical middle child, peacekeeper, avoid conflict, the helper. Also have more natural ability in seeing the problem (psycho-social, not on paper type problems) but don't offer opinions unless asked. Wouldn't want to offend or cause conflict!!!

Being third of many also meant finding creative ways to play and keep myself and younger siblings entertained. That has served me well. My most enjoyable employment involves creativity, decorating, colors, design, etc.

I was often the caregiver for the next three youngest siblings, so I take to that naturally. But, decided early on that teaching wasn't really for me. I think that had a lot to do with Grndma always telling me to find something else to do since I'd been tking care of kids since I was very young.

(Grandma - Bless her. She thought she was doing right by me, but at the time I took it as another vote of no confidence since eldest sister was beautiful and could do no wrong)

The most influence on work from childhood probably came from being on a farm. Much different work ethic. Dad would send us out the driveway at 16 (oldest sister) and 13 (me) with thousands of dollars, horses, equipment, etc. to go to horse shows alone all over the country. Before we pulled out he always said "What's the word?" Our answer was "Be professional."

That still rings in my head no matter where I work.

That is fascinating, especially the "BE professional" part!

I just bet, though, if you asked your "beautiful older sister" that she would say YOU were the "one who could do no wrong" because you were so smart, or some damned thing.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:05 pm
Dlowan

Lol!!! So, you move between roles with ease, but when in one or other, you are really in it! That is interesting. Does that suit you, or would you like to have aspecrts of both roles happening all the time?

------

Yeah, it seems to suit me as is, but sometimes I wish I would have had a more normal family life...but I can't complain. The older I get, the roles become less profound...and actually the role of "dad" has taken center stage now...teenage daughter... Confused
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:10 pm
hey Wabbit, i didn't know you're a green bay fan Arrow http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/149195516743f24d99e7eff.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 01:22 am
What?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:04 am
there was a big ol' hunk of cheese perched atop your wabbity ears yesterday, but its gone now... didn't u SMELL it??

or did u just get hungry Razz
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:09 am
may post later......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:14 am
Region Philbis wrote:
there was a big ol' hunk of cheese perched atop your wabbity ears yesterday, but its gone now... didn't u SMELL it??

or did u just get hungry Razz

You're all MAD, I tell you!

I hope you do come back, Chai!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:43 am
You didn't respond to my question about feeling the need to not be yourself in your new job, Deb. <yes, I'm feeling ignored but I'll get over it, sniff>

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1859885#1859885

Are the new folks giving you grief?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 03:20 pm
Ack, sorry, JB!

That is an interesting question, and I am not sure of the answer.

I think anyone going into a new work environment is careful for a while, don't you?

I was in the same job for a looooooooong time, (16 and a half years)...but, in that time, I had secondments to three other jobs, so I haven't forgotten the "be careful" phase. And, this one is permanent, so I don't want to foul any waters.

I DO prune myself (I am just beginning to let them see my really black humour, and my kind of repartee humour, but I don't try associative or literary humour, cos they wouldn't get it....actually, a couple might...hmmmm....I find that really hard, actually, but it isn't anyone being mean. I just miss it, though people who would appreciate that waxed and waned at my old job, too. Hmmmm again...all the people who DID get it at my old job are still good friends, some have been for years now), and I DO find a couple of the new people hard to be around, because they seem very closed and bossy. But....that is a pretty damned small number, and is often a part of people having been somewhere a long time, no? And it might be projection....everyone is actually very welcoming and lovely.

I AM a bit isolated, but that is partly because I am doing a different job from everyone else. This means that I do not join anyone in their trenches. I have my own, but they are different, and a lot of camaraderie is built up in the trenches...and their trenches are pretty deep and constantly under fire.

I also have a very different way of working from other people there. I am much more into child/parent/caregiver/attachment based work, and they, in their therapy, while what they do is fantastic, IM not so humble O, neglect this aspect of the work. Frankly, when I hear clinical presentations, I am sitting, as it were, on my voice box NOT to express concern that, what they see as barriers to work, are, indeed, crucial components of the work.

I have had relative success, for me, in shutting up....and have been able, gradually, to interest them in different stuff. We all went to a training thing n Monday and Tuesday in work based on attachment repair, (booked in well before I got there) and six of us are now going to a long training thing on more of this type of work...that one because I made them interested.

Sorry you asked, yet?

So the answer is...a couple of people are giving me a tiny bit of grief...but nothing big.

Any other grief is normal, or I am giving to myself.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 03:50 pm
dlowan--

Glad to hear you're settling in. Becoming a legend in one's own time in a new place doesn't happen overnight.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 04:48 pm
I'm a legend in my own mind.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 09:01 pm
dlowan wrote:
Oh, and the "default" reaction of some neglected kids is aggression, or frenzied activity.

See? I never could do anything right....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 09:54 pm
You look pretty frenzied to me, Noodles.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:31 am
I just have to pee.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:37 am
I think it's more difficult when you've been in the prior job for so long. It isn't just the work and people but the work dynamics, people dynamics, group dynamics (politics) are all so 'normal'. When you leave that behind and go into a group where you might know the work and slowly get to know the people, it still isn't the same as being an integral part of the dynamics.

I do think that birth order has something to do with how we react and interact with others, whether it be family, friends, or workplace, but there are other things that impact it too. Individual temperament and family stability during childhood (the old nature and nurture combo) probably have a stronger influence than birth order. It's an interesting question though about how much birth order affects temperament.

After being in your old place of employment for 16 years it's probably much harder to be the new kid than if you had been there a short time. I once left a job of 12 years and went to a new company where I shifted from being an integral part of the atmosphere of the workplace to not having a clue who the players were or how they interacted with each other. I'd forgotten what it was like to be clueless and it was a difficult transition. I eventually became comfortable in the new setting and they eventually became comfortable with me but it took time. There were times when I questioned whether I'd made a good move and there were times when I thought I hadn't. It took me over a year to finally think of it as a good working environment for me. I don't think I would have faced nearly the transition difficulties I did had I not been in my prior company for so long.

It's good you have some folks in the new place that you can relate fairly well to, and that you've kept contact with the old friends. I can certainly empathize with the transition difficulties.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:42 pm
Oh, indeed, birth order is just part of an enormous mix!

I think the hardest thing for me right now is, as you say, not being a real CENTRE of things (doesn't that sound bad!).....that and not having the easy availability of debriefing and getting consultation really quickly on really tough cases.

The first is good for me.

The second sucks.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 11:45:36