Animal Rights Leader Wants to Be Barbequed

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 09:38 am
The head of "People for the Ethical Treatmant of Animals" has written a will, where her body parts will be used in some of the ways that people use animals. She did this to point out to people the various things that are done to animals, that she considers abhorrent.

Quote:
Animal Rights Leader Wants to Be Barbecued
Fri Apr 25, 9:15 AM ET
By Francois Murphy

LONDON (Reuters) - The leader of a prominent U.S.-based animal rights group said she had drawn up a will directing that her flesh be barbecued and her skin used to make leather products in protest at man's ill-treatment of animals.

Ingrid Newkirk, 53, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), said on Thursday she had chosen to donate her body to her organization for use in a variety of startling protests.

Newkirk also suggested her feet be removed and made into umbrella stands similar to those made from elephant feet that she had seen as a child.

"I want to find ways to have my work live on when I'm gone and this has been my first idea. I will make a stir when I am long in the ground," Newkirk told Reuters.

A PETA spokesman said Newkirk held British and U.S. citizenship and a copy of her will would be kept in both countries.

In the document she also suggests her liver be vacuum-packed and sent to France to be used in a campaign to persuade shoppers not to buy foie gras, made from the livers of force-fed ducks and geese.

"We are in the business of getting people to think about what happens to animals," she said.

"When they go to the grocery store and buy foie gras in a tin, there is absolutely no thought of the geese. If my liver makes people talk about the issues then some good will come of it."

Newkirk said she had not heard of anyone making similar arrangements in their will.

"We hope it will start a trend," she said, adding that she had received a letter from a person interested in using their remains to promote vegetarianism.

But one body part listed in the will is not protest or animal related. It says a small part of her heart should be buried near the Hockenheim Formula One racing circuit in Germany, preferably near the Ferrari pits.

"I love Formula One. I love Michael Schumacher, and I thought I would have a little bit of personal indulgence there," she said. "But it's not without a connection to animals because he actually signed a letter for us against experiments on monkeys in Germany."

Since she is only 53, her wishes would probably not be carried out for awhile. What do you think of her manner of bringing her issues to the public?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 977 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:17 am
I think she has a right to make her point this way. There are plenty of ethical issues regarding treatment of animals, some silly, but, many are very real and serious. A very good couple of examples are cited already - force feeding of ducks and geese and making umbrella stands from elephants' feet.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:20 am
I think she should leave her asshole to be hung in the lobby of the offices of PETA as a self portrait.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:21 am
Bi- You have a way with words! Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:24 am
I am a full cadaver donor myself, but what I really always wanted was to be stuffed with my arms straight out and an erection so that I could go right in the front hall as a coat rack with a place for two hats.

Alas, against the law. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:40 am
I'll bring the beer Very Happy Those PETA freaks also want to change the name of New Hamburg, in a state I forget, where they had a conference or something, as they found the reference to "ground up cow" offensive...if any of them knew a lick of German, they would know that 'Hamburg' refers to 'meeting place of the Burghers', city officials, not ground up cows. Is it my imagination, or has a hoaxter taken over PETA and is now doing a parody of PETA for the world's entertainment?
0 Replies