Want Change of Scenery/Become a Plumber in the Antarctic!

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 09:03 am
Interested in good job with great environment? Check this out!

Quote:
Plumber wanted in Antarctic
The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is searching for plumbers to stop the pipes from freezing on its bases and ships near the South Pole.
The group is holding an open day in Cambridge on Wednesday and hopes to find 15 plumbers prepared to do the job for 18 months.

They will work on its bases and ships near the South Pole, where temperatures can reach - 50C.

The BAS is hoping the spectacular Antarctic scenery will compensate for the salary shortfall.

Workers will be paid a maximum of £18,888 a year, whereas back home an in-demand plumber could earn up to £80,000 annually.

But BAS spokeswoman Athena Dinar said the surroundings made up for the shortfall.

'Tears'

"It is so remote and you get a feeling of how insignificant you are in the world," she said.

"There's no noise and nobody else there, it can bring tears to your eyes."

Prospective applicants can fill in applications and find out more about the company, which examines the impact of global warming on the environment.

IT engineer Pete Lens spent 18 months working on one of the company's three research islands, Signy.

He said: "To be working surrounded by icebergs, penguins and seals is just fantastic. There is also a great atmosphere between all the staff on station."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/2977561.stm

Published: 2003/04/26 03:11:30

© BBC MMIII

If you qualified, would you be interested in doing this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 952 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 09:07 am
Funny thing, just reading this, it piqued my interest. If I were a lot younger, with no family responsibilities, (and knew how to work with pipes) I think that this might interest me. I think that it would be eighteen fascinating months. There is something about being out in the middle of nowhere that really interested me!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 09:15 am
Antarctica at less tlhan one fourth normal pay and no scheduled ride back home if the scenery turns out to be a bit bland long before the 18 months are up. Let me think about it for a while.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 09:18 am
Hey Rog- We could all go. What a great A2K gathering we could have there. Beaches aren't much, though! Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 09:21 am
We could also have a gathering someplace where the sun doesn't disappear for months at a time, and where beaches were meant for bare feet and sandpipers.
0 Replies