Message in a bottle: Don't litter

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:11 am
cool story, but the name, henry biggelsworth sounds like something monty python would use

Message in a bottle: Don't litter

Monday, February 6, 2006 Posted: 1214 GMT (2014 HKT)

NAPEAGUE, New York (AP) -- A boat captain who sent a message out to sea in a bottle says he received a reply from Britain -- accusing him of littering.

"I kind of felt like no good deed goes unpunished," Harvey Bennett, 55, told the East Hampton Star.

The plastic bottle was one of five that Bennett placed in the ocean off New York's Long Island in August.

Last month, he excitedly opened a letter from England, and was stunned by the reply:

"I recently found your bottle while taking a scenic walk on the beach by Poole Harbour. While you may consider this some profound experiment on the path and speed" of "oceanic currents, I have another name for it, litter.

"You Americans don't seem to be happy unless you are mucking about somewhere," says the letter, signed by Henry Biggelsworth of Bournemouth, in the southern county of Dorset.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,032 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Eva

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:51 am
Poor Mr. Biggelsworth. I pity his wife. He has no sense of romance whatsoever.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:07 am
the english don't need romance, they have hot water bottles
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:35 pm
Do you think a banana peel is littering?
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/212364/2/istockphoto_212364-banana-peel-in-the-road.jpg
chai2

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:49 pm
@alex240101,
alex240101 wrote:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/212364/2/istockphoto_212364-banana-peel-in-the-road.jpg

I would if it were dropped in the middle of a courtyard or something. I don't consider it littering if it's tossed under a bush. Then it's food for something else.

Years ago, when I smoked, I was sitting in my car at a red light, having a ciggypuff, and some green peacer pulled up next to me and yelled at me for flicking ashes.

I would have liked to make him yell by putting out the butt in his eye.

Kids, don't smoke.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:54 pm
@djjd62,
H. Spendius Bigglesworth

I always knew it
djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
ha, perfect
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:58 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

alex240101 wrote:

I would if it were dropped in the middle of a courtyard or something. I don't consider it littering if it's tossed under a bush. Then it's food for something else.

yup
Mame

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 06:51 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah, it may be food for something else, but it could be death or something nearly as bad to a human. Picture this - someone is climbing out of a 2 storey window after visiting his beautiful girlfriend (okay, so the someone is a guy) and he climbs down ledge after ledge, performing feats of acrobatics, then he jumps to the ground, lands and rolls onto his feet. He then hears his g'f's dad shouting at him, threatening him even. So he scrambles into the nearest bush and ooops! slips on that damn banana peel that chai2 through out her car window, hours ago, giving it time to get really mushy and slimy. He slips so hard, he whacks his head on a nearby oak tree that had been planted by his g/f's grandpa in memory of his wife, and he's out cold. Cold-cocked, as it were. His g'f's dad comes around the corner of the garden and sees him. He figures out what happened and, enraged, he goes inside, berates his daughter, and consigns her to a life in the convent.

Now, see what destruction you have wrought?

This could easily have been a Shakespearean play.
chai2

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 05:43 am
@Mame,
What if it had been an apple core, huh?
Mame

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 05:48 am
@chai2,
Please, chai, use your imagination. That would be nearly as bad, depending on the size, apple variety, and how much of the core was thrown so carelessly by human hand.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:29 am
Plastic rubbish is a major problem in the worlds ocean. If this serves to highlite the problem I'd be quite happy.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 07:07 am
@Mame,
Ear to ear reading your story.
Pondering if an avocado was car eats. Definite foot meets ball bearing effect.
Once in a while: "You dropped something" passes my lips when seeing a cigarette butt being dropped.
0 Replies