Tesseract Terror

chris2a

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:20 am
I wake up in an empty room with six doors. One on each of four walls, one on the floor and one on the ceiling. So now I am getting pretty hungry and want to leave the room to get some breakfast.

I open the door to leave the room only to find myself in an identical room. At some point, I discover that each door of the room I am in opens into an identical room on the other side. Now I am starting to suspect that I have found myself in what appears to be a hypercube or tesseract.

There is one question that repeats over and over again in my mind and grows louder with every passing moment until all other thoughts are drowned out.

I can leave the room but can I leave the tesseract?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,463 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Mandso

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 02:11 am
nope
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:05 am
Is ther something special about the doors?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:47 am
You can leave by not making the 90 degree turn into fourth-dimensional space as you walk through the door.

Think of a 2-D being living on a square who would normally exit through one of the edges. If the square is one side of a 3-D cube, the being must make a 90-degree turn in leaving through the edge of its square in order to enter the adjoining square (which BTW is NOT the one he just left, but one of six different squares making up the cube). If it goes straight through the edge as usual it exits the cube.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:06 am
'And He Built a Crooked House'
-Robert A Heinlien
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:08 am
Ummm... What if the tessaract was built out of a Klien Bottle?
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:25 am
Terry wrote:
You can leave by not making the 90 degree turn into fourth-dimensional space as you walk through the door.

Think of a 2-D being living on a square who would normally exit through one of the edges. If the square is one side of a 3-D cube, the being must make a 90-degree turn in leaving through the edge of its square in order to enter the adjoining square (which BTW is NOT the one he just left, but one of six different squares making up the cube). If it goes straight through the edge as usual it exits the cube.

I was also thinking about the analogy in 2D with a flatlander on a particular side. But can you call it a 90 degree angle with respect to a bounding cube of a tesseract. (And yes, I know it is not the room you just left as was portrayed on one of the Star Trek Next Generation episodes.)

Would you consider the door something of a transform function; a kind of intradimensional, 3D portal? If so, then we can't just break through the wall.

http://cosmotheory.com/images/A4tesser.jpg
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:56 pm
If the 2-D plane was wrapped around the cube (like wrapping paper around a gift), then the 2-D being could crawl around the edge into another square. But that's not how it works. The cube is in 3-space and one face happens to be congruent with a square on the 2-D plane. If the 2-D being crawl across the edge of the square as usual, it would exit it, and could only enter another face of the cube if it could make a 90 degree turn out of its normal space.

A 3-D being could not walk into a room outside of its 3-space without turning 90 degrees in a direction that is unimaginable to those of us whose minds are limited to the x, y, and z axes. If you were in the "inner" square in your diagram, you would walk out into 3-space, just as a 2-D being would remain in its own plane even after crossing the edge of a 3-D cube image projected onto its plane.
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 01:21 am
Terry

The mental image is quite a challenge. I was considering a hyper sphere before the tesseract but my brain started to overheat.

Oh yes. In the tesseract image, don't forget the bounding cube that does not appear succinctly. It is the one that is "inside out" and extends infinitely out into 3D space.
0 Replies