Biology + Zoology (International Student in US needs help)

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:19 pm
I'm an international student at FIU, this is my second semester in U.S, since English is not my native language, and I always need some extra help.

I'm NOT cheating, if you guys want I can take a picture of the actual exam and post it here Smile

Last week I had my first Zoology exam (100 questions), in my opinion it was pretty hard, especially since we have only had 5 classes so far.

I was very disappointed to see that the professor didn't mark the right answer whenever I got wrong, he only put an X right next to every single question I got wrong.
Since I got it wrong I obviously do not know the right answer, however I would still like to know what the right answer is for future references.

Here are the questions I got wrong; it would be great if someone could help me out.

1. Ethnologists have studied various animal behaviors, which are largely inmate. These Behaviors:
A. Have a sign stimulus
B. Stimulate an inmate releasing pattern in the animal
C. Lead to a fixed behavior
D. Only A and C are true
E. A,B and C are true

2. Animals
I. Are eukaryotic
II. Are heterotrophic
III. Are protests
IV. Have cell walls

a. Only I and II are true
b. Only I, II and III are true
c. Only II and IV are true
d. I, II, III and IV are true

3. Monera
I. Includes the Archebacteria
II. Are eukaryotic
III. Have mitochondreia
IV. Have a nucleus

a. Only I is true
b. Only II, III, and IV are true

Some animals' behaviors are largely determined genetically. There behaviors
a. Are subject to natural selections
b. Are not modified by experience
c. Should be optimal behaviors
d. A and B are true
e. A and C are true

4. Migrating birds are captured and moved south of any point that they had previous encountered in their lives. When these birds are released, they follow the same bearing line that they would normally follow during migration and end up migrating to a different place than they normally would migrate to. These birds migrate using:
a. Piloting
b. Orientation
c. Navigation

5. Human populations tend to have a_____________ distribution.
a. Random
b. Uniform
c. Clumped

There quite a few more true or false questions, which I didn't answer, so
if anyone want to help me out with those I'll be more than happy post them.

Thank you and God Bless Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 842 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Mandso

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:05 pm
it seems that your questions are a little to advanced - well, for my pathetic brain, anyhoo
0 Replies

GlobalDJ

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 02:24 am
Mandso wrote:
it seems that your questions are a little to advanced - well, for my pathetic brain, anyhoo

We are in the same boat mate Laughing
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:36 am
Are you quite certain that the word INMATE is appropriate Confused
I have always thought that the term INMATE is a reference
to someone who is incarcerated....in jail???
Could you possibly mean INNATE? Now, THIS is a term
frequently used in description of animal inborn behaviors.
0 Replies

GlobalDJ

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:50 pm
babsatamelia wrote:
Are you quite certain that the word INMATE is appropriate Confused
I have always thought that the term INMATE is a reference
to someone who is incarcerated....in jail???
Could you possibly mean INNATE? Now, THIS is a term
frequently used in description of animal inborn behaviors.

You are right :wink:

Is anyone gonna help me out???
Please
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:52 pm
I wish I could, Global DJ, but in looking at those I come up with guesses but nothing definite.

It seems like you could find a fair amount of those via Google. (As in, if I knew it, I'd tell you; since I don't, it doesn't seem to make sense for me to Google the answer for you since you could do that yourself.)
0 Replies

GlobalDJ

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:37 pm
Q:
When animal's range becomes divided, there is a pressure toward evolution into new spicies.
True
or
False
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 06:30 pm
Quote:
1. Ethnologists have studied various animal behaviors, which are largely inmate. These Behaviors:
A. Have a sign stimulus
B. Stimulate an inmate releasing pattern in the animal
C. Lead to a fixed behavior
D. Only A and C are true
E. A,B and C are true

I have no idea. Gibberish to me...

Quote:
2. Animals
I. Are eukaryotic
II. Are heterotrophic
III. Are protests
IV. Have cell walls

a. Only I and II are true
b. Only I, II and III are true

Only I and II are true.

Animals belong to the kingdom Eukarya -- a nucleus, membrane-enclosed organelles, and so forth. It's all about cell structure. Animals are heterotrophs because they must derive energy from molecules synthesized by other living things (that is, they don't photosynthesize).

Protists (not protests) are single-celled eukaryotic organisms.

Animal cells do not have cell walls.

Quote:
3. Monera
I. Includes the Archebacteria
II. Are eukaryotic
III. Have mitochondreia
IV. Have a nucleus

a. Only I is true
b. Only II, III, and IV are true

Only I is true. There are plenty of microbiologists who do not like to see Eubacteria and Archaeobacteria grouped in the same kingdom (I've known a couple, at any rate), but that's where they are with "Kingdom Monera."

Quote:
Some animals' behaviors are largely determined genetically. There behaviors
a. Are subject to natural selections
b. Are not modified by experience
c. Should be optimal behaviors
d. A and B are true
e. A and C are true

I know a bit about animals and biology, I think, and I don't like this question one bit. "A" definitely is true. "B" is definitely not true. I'd say "C" is false, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that the prof might think otherwise. At any rate, "optimal" is in no way measurable, especially as it pertains to animal behaviors. Mating displays, for example, may be spectacularly wasteful in terms of an animal's energy and safety, but also essential if a particular individual is to reproduce and pass on its genes. Bad question, in my opinion.

Quote:
4. Migrating birds are captured and moved south of any point that they had previous encountered in their lives. When these birds are released, they follow the same bearing line that they would normally follow during migration and end up migrating to a different place than they normally would migrate to. These birds migrate using:
a. Piloting
b. Orientation
c. Navigation

Not familiar with the distinction in the terminology here. From this sampling of questions, though, I'm finding it a little difficult to figure out what the central focus of the course might be.

Quote:
5. Human populations tend to have a_____________ distribution.
a. Random
b. Uniform
c. Clumped

Clumped. You can just think this one through. Look at a map. People are centered around cities, and cities (frequently, anyway) around harbors and waterways. On the face of a continent, then, the distribution of human beings is neither randorm nor uniform, but focused in geographically determined "clumps." (What an ugly word that is...)

Quote:
Q:
When animal's range becomes divided, there is a pressure toward evolution into new spicies.
True
or
False

True, assuming the evolutionary pressures in each of the new ranges are different in some way. If they are essentially the same, evolution is more likely to be a product of genetic drift. It's a subtle but very significant distinction.
0 Replies