Tarbabies Anonymous: Or "stop worrying and love the wrong"!

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:52 pm
nimh wrote:
Trap?

Nah...trap doesn't have the sticky, entangling feel that is needed. Briar patch is probably quite close to it...you know how thorny creeping shrubs wind themselves around you as you try to get free?

The only recourse is to stay absolutely still, and then, with enormous, slow care, disentangle yourself from each thorn, while you attempt with great difficulty to avoid getting caught up in others. The key is you have to stop fighting, which was the point of the whole metaphor on this thread.

Barbed wire will do it, too.....

I have some experience with these matters, having been dumped into a blackberry tangle by a bolting horse.

Owie, owie, owie.....

Heehee...someone is trying to turn this thread into a briar patch as we speak!

Quite three dimensionally onomatopoeic. (Sp???)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 07:59 pm
Some kind of variation on a spider web...?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 08:14 pm
In order to be immobilized by a tar baby, the "victim" must be a belligerent victim.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 08:18 pm
<dances a spirited jig>

I don't know...it seemed like the right thing to say.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 08:20 pm
Snakepit comes to mind, but is too broadly indictful without giving much sense of that.. that.. that.. tarry quality.

I didn't see this thread before and get a kick out of seeing it now.

I notice Setanta said something earlier about the lack of popularity of Song of the South after the Civil Rights movement, so it seems there was offense taken. I dunno, I have this feeling it is offense-by-mistake, but that it is imbedded as an offense by now.

So, I guess honey pot doesn't cover it either... (blinks)

I like this thread and having a term for those gumball threads. Why, just today I had to absent myself..

Taffy... is taffy only an eastern U.S. thing?

I suppose gorilla glue isn't a good idea.

Bye.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 08:25 pm
Did anyone else read Toni Morrison's Tar Baby?

I read it - I dunno, ten years ago or so. Was deeply impressed. A gripping, disturbing story.

I also read her Jazz, later, but wasnt half as pulled in by it, though I appreciated the writing. I started reading Beloved but I didnt really make it in.

Thing is, when I read Tar Baby, I didnt know about the meaning of a "tar baby", apparently. Would have to read it anew to see how it changes it, I suppose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 08:29 pm
And my comment about offense by mistake may not be that the "hearers" mistake the meaning of the word, but the "sayers" of it may be mistaken, or, perhaps both going on, thus engendering a real ball of twine...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:29 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Snakepit comes to mind, but is too broadly indictful without giving much sense of that.. that.. that.. tarry quality.

I didn't see this thread before and get a kick out of seeing it now.

I notice Setanta said something earlier about the lack of popularity of Song of the South after the Civil Rights movement, so it seems there was offense taken. I dunno, I have this feeling it is offense-by-mistake, but that it is imbedded as an offense by now.

So, I guess honey pot doesn't cover it either... (blinks)

I like this thread and having a term for those gumball threads. Why, just today I had to absent myself..

Taffy... is taffy only an eastern U.S. thing?

I suppose gorilla glue isn't a good idea.

Bye.

Lol!!!

I am thinking combination off Venus fly trap and briar patch. A venus fly briar?

I haven't seen song of the south, but I do wonder if it has a happy slaves singing theme or something? Dunno.

Nimh said:

"Did anyone else read Toni Morrison's Tar Baby?

I read it - I dunno, ten years ago or so. Was deeply impressed. A gripping, disturbing story.

I also read her Jazz, later, but wasnt half as pulled in by it, though I appreciated the writing. I started reading Beloved but I didnt really make it in.

Thing is, when I read Tar Baby, I didnt know about the meaning of a "tar baby", apparently. Would have to read it anew to see how it changes it, I suppose."

That is interesting. You could not get the meaning from the content of the novel, I assume?

You know, I doubt there would be many Australians who would have a clue what the name means, either....either as a character in a tale, as a metaphor, or as an insult.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:37 am
it was suggested on the other thread that there are "dozens" of substitutes for tarbaby...but I also have yet to think of a satisfactory one. Sad Well, I'm glad to see so many good minds are hard at work on this task, I'm sure one of you will soon have a replacement word for us.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:00 am
Know what, cyphercat?
I think I'm the one who said there were "dozens" of synonyms, and I am wrong about that - used the way dlowan did in this thread originally, the word pretty much stands alone as the only one that would fit there.

I think I may even have seen dlowan's original thread, and thought it was kind of a cute idea - the whole "come to me, ye weary of the neverendingarguments, and I will give ye solace" was a giggle.

It is just so so obvious that dlowan had no hint of suggestion of anything but the Uncle Remus story "tarbaby" that held on and wouldn't let go.

Its just a little different when someone combatively brings up the word in the context that "only the perpetually offended could find anything wrong here" that I disagree with. It's possible for the word to be misunderstood, say, if spoken by someone either known for insensitivity, or for rightwing ideology.

This is a funny, cute thread, and if there is anyone in A2K that took offense from it, I don't know who they are.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:04 am
I am offended... o' course I haven't read any of the thread yet... but why not?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:07 am
I'm offended too. What the hell are we talking about?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:32 am
I think it was something about you and Bi-Bear's butt.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:26 am
snood wrote:
Know what, cyphercat?
I think I'm the one who said there were "dozens" of synonyms, and I am wrong about that - used the way dlowan did in this thread originally, the word pretty much stands alone as the only one that would fit there.

I think I may even have seen dlowan's original thread, and thought it was kind of a cute idea - the whole "come to me, ye weary of the neverendingarguments, and I will give ye solace" was a giggle.

It is just so so obvious that dlowan had no hint of suggestion of anything but the Uncle Remus story "tarbaby" that held on and wouldn't let go.

Its just a little different when someone combatively brings up the word in the context that "only the perpetually offended could find anything wrong here" that I disagree with. It's possible for the word to be misunderstood, say, if spoken by someone either known for insensitivity, or for rightwing ideology.

This is a funny, cute thread, and if there is anyone in A2K that took offense from it, I don't know who they are.

Why, thank you Snood.

I was quite distressed when I found out the word was considered hateful by many, and has been used hatefully by some ....not especially because I thought people would attack me, but because, as I have said previously, I see no reason to use a word that is hurtful in that way, and I was grateful to not be left in ignorance.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:05 am
snood wrote:
Know what, cyphercat?
Plenty of other people think the same thing. It is psychotic for you to call them racists, and give your bud a pass for saying the same thing. You've lost all credibility on the issue.
Proving your whining about tarbaby was complete bullshit.
It is also obvious that Mitt Romney meant the same thing, and it is equally obvious that those who bitched about it were thrilled to have something to bitch about.
Its just a little different when someone combatively brings up the word in the context that "only the perpetually offended could find anything wrong here" that I disagree with.
Good try. You failed. Combatively, huh? Laughing
It's possible for the word to be misunderstood, say, if spoken by someone either known for insensitivity, or for rightwing ideology.
So this is what I've been waiting for. He actually said it. If you're a conservative, you can't say it. Laughing Thanks for spelling it out. I don't think we need to talk about it anymore. Here it is in black and white.
No one took offense, and that is the whole point. You've cleared the entire issue up perfectly. Your fake indignity was nothing more than intentional race baiting and divisiveness.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 07:07 am
Well, if nothing else, this whole episode has clarified my understanding of the word.
Used in the classic 'Uncle Remus' sense, Lash is the tarbaby on both these threads.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 08:02 am
No. The issue is the tarbaby. It's not a person.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2017 11:41 am
Pretty balanced review of Song of the South.
jespah

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2017 12:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched that (and thought it was terrific). A similar issue to tarbabies is sealioning:
http://wondermark.com/c/2014-09-19-1062sea.png
roger

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2017 12:41 pm
@jespah,
Perfection!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/15/2024 at 10:44:07