Tarbabies Anonymous: Or "stop worrying and love the wrong"!

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:04 pm
Here is the story of the Tarbaby...one of Uncle Remus' (and please DON'T let's have this thread become one...the tales are set in a particular time and place, and they are fascinating tales despite this):

THE WONDERFUL TAR BABY STORY
"Didn't the fox never catch the rabbit, Uncle Remus?" asked the little boy the next evening.

"He come mighty nigh it, honey, sho's you born--Brer Fox did. One day atter Brer Rabbit fool 'im wid dat calamus root, Brer Fox went ter wuk en got 'im some tar, en mix it wid some turkentime, en fix up a contrapshun w'at he call a Tar-Baby, en he tuck dish yer Tar-Baby en he sot 'er in de big road, en den he lay off in de bushes fer to see what de news wuz gwine ter be. En he didn't hatter wait long, nudder, kaze bimeby here come Brer Rabbit pacin' down de road--lippity-clippity, clippity -lippity--dez ez sassy ez a jay-bird. Brer Fox, he lay low. Brer Rabbit come prancin' 'long twel he spy de Tar-Baby, en den he fotch up on his behime legs like he wuz 'stonished. De Tar Baby, she sot dar, she did, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

"`Mawnin'!' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee - `nice wedder dis mawnin',' sezee.

"Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nuthin', en Brer Fox he lay low.

"`How duz yo' sym'tums seem ter segashuate?' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee.

"Brer Fox, he wink his eye slow, en lay low, en de Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nuthin'.

"'How you come on, den? Is you deaf?' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee. 'Kaze if you is, I kin holler louder,' sezee.

"Tar-Baby stay still, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

"'You er stuck up, dat's w'at you is,' says Brer Rabbit, sezee, 'en I;m gwine ter kyore you, dat's w'at I'm a gwine ter do,' sezee.

"Brer Fox, he sorter chuckle in his stummick, he did, but Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nothin'.

"'I'm gwine ter larn you how ter talk ter 'spectubble folks ef hit's de las' ack,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee. 'Ef you don't take off dat hat en tell me howdy, I'm gwine ter bus' you wide open,' sezee.

"Tar-Baby stay still, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

"Brer Rabbit keep on axin' 'im, en de Tar-Baby, she keep on sayin' nothin', twel present'y Brer Rabbit draw back wid his fis', he did, en blip he tuck 'er side er de head. Right dar's whar he broke his merlasses jug. His fis' stuck, en he can't pull loose. De tar hilt 'im. But Tar-Baby, she stay still, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

"`Ef you don't lemme loose, I'll knock you agin,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, en wid dat he fotch 'er a wipe wid de udder han', en dat stuck. Tar-Baby, she ain'y sayin' nuthin', en Brer Fox, he lay low.

"`Tu'n me loose, fo' I kick de natal stuffin' outen you,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, but de Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nuthin'. She des hilt on, en de Brer Rabbit lose de use er his feet in de same way. Brer Fox, he lay low. Den Brer Rabbit squall out dat ef de Tar-Baby don't tu'n 'im loose he butt 'er cranksided. En den he butted, en his head got stuck. Den Brer Fox, he sa'ntered fort', lookin' dez ez innercent ez wunner yo' mammy's mockin'-birds.

"`Howdy, Brer Rabbit,' sez Brer Fox, sezee. `You look sorter stuck up dis mawnin',' sezee, en den he rolled on de groun', en laft en laft twel he couldn't laff no mo'. `I speck you'll take dinner wid me dis time, Brer Rabbit. I done laid in some calamus root, en I ain't gwineter take no skuse,' sez Brer Fox, sezee."

Here Uncle Remus paused, and drew a two-pound yam out of the ashes.

"Did the fox eat the rabbit?" asked the little boy to whom the story had been told.

"Dat's all de fur de tale goes," replied the old man. "He mout, an den agin he moutent. Some say Judge B'ar come 'long en loosed 'im - some say he didn't. I hear Miss Sally callin'. You better run 'long."

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG97/remus/tar-baby.html

So, this thread is where weary A2kers, stuck in unpleasant and interminably argued "Tarbaby" threads, in which the more they attempt to finalize the damned argument and get away, the more the thing ensnares them, and their struggles but make them stick more, may come to get support in resisting the lures of the tarbaby!

Now, some love tarbaby threads...they adore the long chain of point and counterpoint...and they can either remain calm and rational, or enjoy the rough and tumble....this thread is not for such as they.

Here is where you can come when you are weary and sore...but simply CANNOT (or so you think) resist trying to explain why you are right just ONE more time.....when you mean not to look at a single 'nother post, and yet you do.......where you dream that one more elegantly argued and empirically backed up post will enlighten your opponent, as you have dreamed for the last fifty pages.......when you know that posting is feeding the horror, but you offer just one more tempting morsel to the madness.....where you simply cannot let that last insult or obtusosity lie there, even though you have said you will a hundred times.....

Come here, we will use cognitive strategies to free you, behavioural ones, (like sitting on you, or knocking you out)...sweet blandishments like drugs and cuddles....or we will just yell at you.

"STOP POSTING ALREADY!!!!!!!"

Sit down, have a drink.....and DON'T GO BACK.....we are here for you....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,322 • Replies: 79

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:10 pm
(Br'er Rabbit has an interesting lineage back to African folklore, and many other "trickster" figures in most folkloric traditions:

here is Wikipedia on the topic:

Br'er Rabbit
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Tar Baby)

Br'er Rabbit is a fictional character, the hero of the Uncle Remus stories derived from African American folktales of the Southern United States.

Br'er Rabbit in Disney's adaption of Song of the SouthThe word "Br'er" in his name (and in those of other characters in the stories) presumably reflects a Baptist practice of including the title "Brother" in addressing male members of one's church congregation. The stories, however, can be traced back to trickster figures, particularly the hare, that figured prominently in the storytelling traditions of West Africa. These tales continue to be part of the traditional folklore of such people in Africa as the Wolof of Senegal. The rabbit in Africa was called Zomo. In his United States incarnation, Br'er Rabbit represents the Black slave who uses his wits to overcome circumstances and even to enact playful revenge on his adversaries, representing the White slave-owners. Though not always successful, his subversive efforts made him both a folk hero and friendly comic figure.

The first Brer Rabbit stories were written by Robert Roosevelt, uncle of President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt. Teddy Roosevelt wrote in his autobiography, about his aunt from Georgia, that "She knew all the 'Br'er Rabbit' stories, and I was brought up on them. One of my uncles, Robert Roosevelt, was much struck with them, and took them down from her dictation, publishing them in Harper's, where they fell flat. This was a good many years before a genius arose who in 'Uncle Remus' made the stories immortal."

These stories were popularized for the mainstream audience in the late 19th century by Joel Chandler Harris, who wrote up and published many of the stories which were passed down by oral tradition. Joel Chandler Harris heard the tales in Georgia. Very similar versions of the same stories were recorded independently at the same time by folklorist Alcee Fortier in southern Louisiana, where the Rabbit character was known as Compair Lapin in Creole French.

The Disney film Song of the South was based on the Br'er Rabbit stories, including these:

The Laughing Place
The Tar Baby
The Briar Patch
The Magic Kingdom and Disneyland thrill rides, both known as Splash Mountain have a Br'er Rabbit theme.

[edit]
The Tar Baby
The tar baby was a trap made of tar used to capture Br'er Rabbit in a story which is part of American plantation folklore. Br'er Fox played on Br'er Rabbit's vanity and gullibility to goad Br'er Rabbit into attacking the fake and becoming stuck. A similar tale from African folklore has the trickster god Anansi in the role of Br'er Rabbit.

The story was originally published in Harper's Weekly by Robert Roosevelt of Sayville, New York.

Years later Joel Chandler Harris wrote of the tar baby in his Uncle Remus stories.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_Baby

But I seriously digress....)

Easier to understand version of the Tarbaby:

http://www.otmfan.com/html/brertar.htm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:17 pm
Here are some cognitive strategies to use to convince yourself it is ok to stop trying:

(If only I used them)

: S/he is just as wrong if s/he never knows it.

: One day, probably during sex, or their deathbed, or a really, really, important career making/breaking moment, s/he will suddenly, in a horrifying pang of remorse and humiliation, realise you WERE right all along, and it will be unbearable for them, and they will stuff what they are doing up irrevocably.

: All the REALLY intelligent people know you are right.

: (If a theist) My deity will punish them, or at least point out the truth, later.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:30 pm
Good idea, dlowan. I have tried to stay away from posting to 'those' threads for a few days now. I even stopped reading most of them.

I'll have a gin and tar, please.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 01:13 am
Here you go.

You are a mighty and wonderful exemplar to us all, Little k....and a teeture, to bootsie!
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 02:03 pm
Oh, Deb's, thank you for providing this refuge from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, a haven devoid of the insults I have endured defending all things Australian. Perhaps I may linger awhile to regain strength enough to re-enter the affray. In the meantime, I wonder if you would be good enough to elucidate:

"One day, probably during sex, Â…realise you WERE right all along, and it will be unbearable for them, and they will stuff what they are doing up irrevocably."

Thanking you in advance.

I remain your submissive servant.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:23 pm
dlowan wrote:
Here are some cognitive strategies to use to convince yourself it is ok to stop trying:

(If only I used them)

: S/he is just as wrong if s/he never knows it.

: One day, probably during sex, or their deathbed, or a really, really, important career making/breaking moment, s/he will suddenly, in a horrifying pang of remorse and humiliation, realise you WERE right all along, and it will be unbearable for them, and they will stuff what they are doing up irrevocably.

: All the REALLY intelligent people know you are right.

: (If a theist) My deity will punish them, or at least point out the truth, later.

These are brilliant! I'm going to repeat them to myself until I have them memorized...

The last one is something I actually told myself all the time as a kid, when I still believed in God...I would get so frustrated when someone didn't realize I was right, and I'd imagine them getting to heaven, and how I'd make Jesus tell them I was right.

The only problem was that I sort of figured that if you got to heaven, you probably weren't supposed to be caring about winning arguments anymore. And I'd picture myself being all good and holy and not needing to be right all the time, but it just didn't seem like I'd be ME anymore if I didn't care about winning arguments. That conundrum (you must be very good to get into heaven-- but if I was that good, I wouldn't be myself) was one of the first problems I started having with the idea of heaven...

The first one really is a good thing to remember, though. Thanks for the little bit of sanity. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:26 pm
This thread is so wrong . . .

Whatever you do, don't throw me in that briar patch . . . i've used that expression on people too many times to recall, and it always gives them pause. They may not remember the specific context, but it lingers at least on the fringe of their memories, and they are brought up short by the possibility that they may be doing what i want . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:35 pm
I had an Irish Setter who used to insist on having the last word. The first Mr. Noddy was insecure enough to object.

A2K members would be very impressed to know the vast numbers of people who have ceased to exist because I've turned by back upon them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:54 pm
I actually thought the briar patch was part of the tarbaby story, and I was shocked to find Br'er Rabbit seemingly left all stuck up at the end.

How are we all going on our tarbabies, siblings?

Have we eschewed the last word, and given the grace to identify a tarbaby?

Have we duly failed to identify a higher power, and found strength in ourselves?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:57 pm
Tryagain wrote:
Oh, Deb’s, thank you for providing this refuge from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, a haven devoid of the insults I have endured defending all things Australian. Perhaps I may linger awhile to regain strength enough to re-enter the affray. In the meantime, I wonder if you would be good enough to elucidate:

“One day, probably during sex, …realise you WERE right all along, and it will be unbearable for them, and they will stuff what they are doing up irrevocably.”

Thanking you in advance.

I remain your submissive servant.

It means you will **** up their **** ing.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:54 pm
Once upon a time there was a very naughty little rabbit who liked to tie squirrel's tails in knots. The squirrels were, naturally, very upset by this and appealed to the Spirit of the Woods.

The sprit appeared before the little rabbit and said "You are a very bad little rabbit and if you tie just one more squirrel's tail I will change you into a goon!"

The rabbit promised she would be good, for she surely did not want to be a goon but, before long, she yielded to temptation and tied another squirrel's tail into a knot. The Spirit reappeared instantly and with a puff of smoke - changed the little rabbit into a goon.

The moral of the story, of course, is ... "Hare today, goon tomorrow." "stop worrying and love the wrong"!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:44 pm
That has nothing to do with tarbabies, you know.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:30 pm
sounds like a useful thread..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:32 pm
Heehee...let us help you, little fishy brother!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:25 am
Siblings in tar!!!

I may need your strength here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1840372#1840372

Help me NOT lose to the tar!!!!

If JW continues, I shall need your strength!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:06 am
I saw that!!

I squinted and then tried to figure out whether it was worth it, and came back with a resounding "no."

Other current tar-resistance:

Roxxxanne's insistence that td8181 must embrace penises (so to speak).

The whole Danish cartoon thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:07 am
Oooh, flushd got the Roxxxanne thing as I typed (crossing item off list).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:37 am
Tar Babes against the Tar Babies!

Winner gets to wear my Queen of Hearts crown for a day. "Off with their heads!"
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:55 pm
Oh, man! Whew! Do we ever need this thread!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Deb.

(I thought it was just me.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tarbabies Anonymous: Or "stop worrying and love the wrong"!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:20:13