Should bring a smile on the face of some of you old timers

au1929

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 08:42 am
Should bring a smile on the face of some of you old timers.. Laughing

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even early 80's probably shouldn't have survived. Here's a look back that will tell you why you were a "Lucky" kid. It's sure to put a smile on your face and bring back some fun memories.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors! We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We didn't have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones--that was only for the "Get Smart" show, no personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends! We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees and played a variety of tag games. We got cut, broke bones and chipped our teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us.

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it. Shortly after, we'd have fun playing a game of punch ball.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls, gave ants caramel candies to carry to their home and caught bees and fire flies in jars to let loose after a while.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own with consequences that were expected. There was "No wiggling out of this one!"

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that! Not to mention the neighborhood adults who were allowed and expected to scold you if they saw you in mischief.

This generation of kids has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them! Congratulations.

After reading this, you're sure to feel "Lucky"
to have had the luck to grow up as kids,
before lawyers and government regulated our lives,
for our own good.

Happy Spring!
Now Go Outside and Play.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,863 • Replies: 16
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 08:45 am
Wanted to write a long answer, but then I saw the last line, so I'm going out to play, it's a beautiful day anyhow!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 08:50 am
Yeah, but kids DID die from polio, whooping cough and scarlet fever. A girlfriend of mine developed rheumatic fever, and had to stay in bed for a YEAR. You never hear about stuff like that anymore.

I have read though that children are developing asthma at a much higher rate than in the past. Scientists are ascribing this to the fact that today, kids live in TOO sanitary conditions. They don't have the opportunity to develop immunity that the kids who drank from the garden hose did!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 11:17 am
It has not only been lawyers and governments.
Insurance companies, doctors and pharmaceutical companies have played a role in the shift.
So has the media, always eager to overstate dangers.

This has been a revolt against life, maskerading as a revolt against death.

I think it was Hegel who said that the master embraces death, and by doing so he embraces life, with its options and perils; the slave fears death and ends up in limbo, without real life, embracing nothing.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 11:29 am
In my own 'just a few months shy of 30" defense, I had this childhood too. I also had scarlet fever and whooping cough. Sad
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 12:06 pm
Thanks for posting that, au. I get tired of that Greatest Generation stuff: It's us, man. Look at what we put up with--and survived to tell the tale!

[I'm being a little tongue in cheek here, but I am semi-serious about the Greatest Generation BS. Enough already...]
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 12:37 pm
What? We're not supposed to drink out of garden hoses anymore???
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 12:54 pm
Yeah, really. And I just found out I can't drink out of the rain barrel anymore. Something bird droppings getting in there. Jeez...
0 Replies

Francie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 09:56 am
Quote:
Lucky kid
You bet I was ! my brothers liked to play cowboys and indians and when I was 6 yrs old they decided they were the indians and I was their prisoner. They tied me to a tree and piled pine straw around it and set it on fire. When it blazed up they took off ! My dad drove up and saw smoke ,came running and rescued me ! Just in time too, I was about to pass out from the smoke ! My dad blistered their behinds ! but that did not stop them . Every time they though up something new I was their victim. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 06:40 pm
Ahhh.... This is my first post. I remember riding and sleeping on that little ledge above the back seat of the car.

Here's a story:

One day, (in the nineties), my son and his friend were running around in the back yard yelling and "shooting" at each other. "What are you doing?" I asked. My son replied, "I'm a cowboy and he's a Native American!!" Ha!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 06:42 pm
Piffka wrote:

I heard salmonella.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 06:43 pm
Piffka wrote:

I heard salmonella.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 05:08 am
fealola- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:12 am
There was a item on BBC News the other day about a kid here in England who got hit by a discus while in the school playing field and subsequently died. A very sad story and I feel for his family.
Back in the 50s I also got hit by a discus while in the school field. I survived, having had my mouth sown up at the local hospital. I was told that's it back to school, the exams were fast approaching.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:18 am
When i was eleven, i was wiring a lamp i'd built in shop, when one of the boys thought it would be amusing to plug in the lamp. Man, that one sat me down, on the other side of the shop. The shop teacher had me sit on the steps for awhile--like about two minutes: "Kelly, you gonna sit there all day? You want me to come hold your hand?" He was not without his pragmatism, though--he let Jim leave early, and held me back, so's he could get a head start . . .
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:11 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
fealola- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Thanks, Pheonix!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:28 am
fealola, WELCOME to A2K. According to my older brother, I shouldn't be here. When we were kids, we used to go to the Sacramento River to play. I slipped and fell into the water, and another kid caught the back of my shirt and dragged me back. Thanks to him, I've lived for another sixty years plus. Wink c.i.
0 Replies