Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:21 pm
No, I'm not speaking of Lord Ellpus here.

I'm strongly considering getting an English Bulldog in a few months, and was wondering what experience (if any) people here had with them.

A bit of superfluous info:

1) My wife and I will soon be moving to Seattle and into a smallish apartment (about 600 sq. feet)
2) I will likely be working from home, so I will be present 24 hours a day.
3) My wife is rather against owning any pets, but is slowly coming over to the dark side on this one.
4) I AM, in fact, hung like a horse though I rarely discuss such things in public.

Thoughts, bytes, info appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,554 • Replies: 19
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:22 pm
I have no good advice but will hang around to see what advice you get since I'm working hard on #3, genders reversed. (How did you do it? I'm pushing the "protection while you travel" angle, limited success so far.)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:42 pm
Oi, I 'eard that!

Here is a photo of my friend's bulldog, who looked so much like that lead guitarist chappie from Queen, that he called him Brian.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/lordellpus/Brian.jpg
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:59 pm
sozobe wrote:
I have no good advice but will hang around to see what advice you get since I'm working hard on #3, genders reversed. (How did you do it? I'm pushing the "protection while you travel" angle, limited success so far.)

I have a bit of a 'leg up' (pun intended, gods!) in that my wife, while claiming to hate having animals in the house, grew up with a smallish dachsund and rather enjoys 'cute' things.

I also bought several issues of a Bulldog magazine so she could read through and see that they would be perfect for us.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:59 pm
Oh.

Cute won't work.

Drat.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:01 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oh.

Cute won't work.

Drat.

I'd go with the protection angle. Also you could try the 'It's either the dog or the pool boy.' bit.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:04 pm
<eyebrow lifted high enough it's practically on top of my head>
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:30 pm
Hrm, did I faux pas?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
Well, pool boy has a certain connotation, and when paired with dog, as either pool boy or dog, it, well...

But then again I've been long aware that my mind is dirtier than most, so pay no attention.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:23 pm
sozobe wrote:
Well, pool boy has a certain connotation, and when paired with dog, as either pool boy or dog, it, well...

But then again I've been long aware that my mind is dirtier than most, so pay no attention.

Oh well, no, I did actually mean something dirty by that. Though not really anything actually involving a dog in the act. Though that may have some pot. . . . no, no.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:26 pm
Yeah, it was the second level, that you didn't mean, that I was raising my eyebrow at.

Anyway!

I've told him either we get a dog or we have another kid, that got his attention but I'm not actually cut out for this ultimatum business. (Plus I don't actually want another kid, so am not prepared to call a bluff...) I'll only do it if he comes around, so I keep trying...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
A truly sticky situation. Here's to spouses seeing the light.

Cheers!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:59 pm
Soz--

Try: The dog will always be available to listen to me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:01 pm
Hmm. It has promise, but he (husband) actually likes when I talk to him. (I know, he's an odd one, part of why I married him despite the very sad anti-pet stance...)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:23 pm
I grew up around English Bulldogs and have a soft spot for them. My grandparents had a series of them: Esther, Simon, Jeeves, Dickens. Rosebud and Headley. The reason they had so many is that they tend to have short lives, 8 years is an old bullie. They also tend to have serious breathing problems because of their poorly bred snouts. You can hear them snoring three rooms over. My grandparents would never have put in air conditioning if it was not for the dogs. I don't want to advise against them, but do take into consideration the problems and possible extra expenses of health care. Make sure you find an excellent breeder with a track record you can check. Also be prepared to spend about $1000 or more for a pup.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 07:25 pm
green witch says it all. Ive known people with English Bulldogs or Irish Elkhounds. Thwo breeds that (like the boxer) arent known for long lives. The breathing problems and nasal polyp issues can make them a real problem with annual vet bills.
I learned another thing. They cant swim, so if you have one fall into a pool or jump off a dock.They usually sink like a stone, dont know why.

You need a dog for a small space? try a terrier (just not a jack russell). I hear that greyhounds, for all their reputation and size, are just great couch potatoes and afghans (except I know that afghans are about the dumbest dog next to a golden)
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 07:43 pm
I will add a hearty second to the Greyhound nomination. Not only are they fabulous dogs who do spend a great deal of their time sleeping, but if you adopt a retired racer, you will not only save a lot of money (adoption groups charge less than $300 in our area), you will also have the added benefit of being considered noble for having rescued them from an untimely end.

To sum up: great dog, low price, admiration from complete strangers. Not a bad trifecta.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:21 pm
farmerman wrote:
They cant swim, so if you have one fall into a pool or jump off a dock.They usually sink like a stone, dont know why.

My grandfather was once asked if Jeeves could swim and he said: "Yeah, like a brick". I think it's because their chests are so wide and the front legs are so far apart that they literally can't doggie paddle. It all comes down to selective breeding and anatomy.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:39 am
farmerman wrote:
You need a dog for a small space? try a terrier (just not a jack russell). I hear that greyhounds, for all their reputation and size, are just great couch potatoes and afghans (except I know that afghans are about the dumbest dog next to a golden)

I'm trying to avoid the smaller, more energetic dogs for obvious reasons, and I doubt seriously that my wife would go for having a horse walking about. Good advice none-the-less!

I hadn't heard that Bulldogs require a ton of veterinarian care though.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:41 am
Green Witch wrote:
Also be prepared to spend about $1000 or more for a pup.

Shocked

Guess I hadn't considered that possibility. I had found several ranging from $200 - $300, and even had a friend offer me one from his litter for free.

Perhaps they weren't the best stock.
0 Replies