Good soil tests for ex-lawn to garden lot

XepBam

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 11:49 am
I just inherited a small lot of lawn behind my house and I would like to use it for a small garden. I have no idea about the soil type in this place and it doesn't seem like any of my neighbors are doing gardening. I looking for a good home soil test kit available on the east coast of US (Boston) area. By good I mean combination of low price and pretty reliable, comprehensive. I'm pretty good with Chemistry, actually I used to work in different analitical labs. The problem is that analysing sulfur content in steel is not the same as purely agricultural testing and I don't have any equipment or chemicals at home.

My land is adjacent to wet lands and I spoke to a conservation lady here. She said that she grows her veggies in a wooden frame placed on the lawn with top soil filled in. I guess that's one way to do it, but that's a lot of top soil.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,272 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 12:40 pm
For the beginning--and the sophisticated grubbers of dirt:

http://www.organicgardening.com/

Good luck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:19 am
For ordinary garden soil testing, your local good nursery should have a kit. To find out a full range of chemical components in your soil, which is probably not necessary, you may find some kind of Soil Testing Service in your area. If I find a likely link I'll come back and post it here.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 11:04 am
Try your County Agricultural Agent--listed in the blue pages under "Government".
0 Replies