Ancient society and "Gods"

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:15 am
It is naturally assumed that the concept of deities existent in our society are taken from past civilizations and their beliefs, but where does the original idea for a "god" begin? How does the notion of "god" just come into existence in the minds of the previous civilizations? There must be some sort of explanation for this.

Please expand on this and offer some suggestions, your responses are very much appreciated thanks ^^.

oh and would it be possible if you could help me with my use of vocabulary and offer some suggestions as to how i might go about increasing my vocabulary? I know I do not sound as professional and educated as all of you do Sad if i could write like this online community, it would be a great benefit to me Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 700 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Individual

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:27 am
Welcome to A2K, crayon.

I'm sure it went something like this:

"Oh, hey...some bird just shat on me"
"Yeah I know, same thing here. Do you think it'll stain?"
"I hope not, they're crapping all over the place. What do you think is happening?"
"Actually, this looks more like that wet stuff we drink instead of bird poop."
"Iiiiinteresting...."
"Indeed, I would say that some invisible man way up high is creating that wet stuff and is now pouring it all over us because he favors our journey and wants us to worship him."
"..."
"I'll call him 'God'."
"Sounds logical to me."
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:18 am
Er, Philosophy is that way --->, this is a Science section, not religion nor anthropology - the study of faith systems sorry!
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:25 am
I suspect that our earliest brethren gradually linked the infinite number of causes and effects that were experienced from day to day in living upon earth.

All effects for which no cause could be understood would gradually be attributed to an 'unknown' (and 'probably more powerful than them') CAUSE that become known as GOD.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 12:59 pm
thx for replies , sorry for posting int he wrong section. I jsut thought that the mindset of our ancestors was some how linked to science through evolution and thought processes which is why i posted it here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
Joe Nation had a recent thread with a theory on this topic:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67672&highlight=
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:06 pm
g-day - anthropology is considered a science by some. A 'soft' science, perhaps. Anthropology also includes much more than the study of faith systems.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:14 pm
cultural anthropolgy does indeed include "gods/religious" religious belief systems in its' baliwick, however, it's more commonly found in the realm of sociology.
0 Replies