A question of gene duplication

J-B

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:31 pm
Quote:
A cell must duplicate its entire genome each time it divides into two daughter cells. However, accidents occasionally result in the duplication of just part of the genome, which retention of original and duplicate segments in a single cell. Once a gene has been duplicated in this way., one of the two gene copies is free to mutate and become specialized to perform a different function within the same cell. Repeated rounds of this process of duplication and divergence, over many millions of years, have enabled one gene to give rise to a whole family of genes within a single genome.
(Page 21 of Molecular Biology of THE CELL)

I can get the drift of this text, but not the details.
I mean I cannot formulate the reasonable picture inside my mind.

1. How to understand "duplication of just part of the genome"? So what about the rest? Yes sure unduplicated. But one part duplicated, the other unduplicated, what will this genome be like after that? Isn't it going to split? into three double-helixes?
2. And what is a "family of genes"? What's it relationship with the original genome.

I will try to read several more times in order to figure it out on my own. (That's the idealest way I suppose) But your help will greatly appreciated Smile

JB (Enthusiast as well as fresh chick in molecular biology)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 649 • Replies: 2
No top replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
Quote:
A cell must duplicate its entire genome each time it divides into two daughter cells

Suppose you have a big house and each item present on the house has a copy. You've got to divide the house into two portions.
Each portion should have the same content. So, what do you do? You give each portion the one of the two pieces of each item. Thats it.

Quote:
However, accidents occasionally result in the duplication of just part of the genome, which retention of original and duplicate segments in a single cell

Suppose you , by mistake, put both the pieces of one item on one portion.
So, now the house is not equally divided.

Once a gene has been duplicated in this way., one of the two gene copies is free to mutate and become specialized to perform a different function within the same cell[/QUOTE]

The owners of both the portions have the freedom to change the settings of items in any way.
Quote:

family of genes refers to the offsprings of genes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:32 am
Re: A question of gene duplication
^JB^ wrote:
1. How to understand "duplication of just part of the genome"? So what about the rest? Yes sure unduplicated. But one part duplicated, the other unduplicated, what will this genome be like after that? Isn't it going to split? into three double-helixes?

If the genome duplicates incompletely while the cell divides, you end up with one cell whose genome is incomplete and another cell that has surplus DNA in its chromosomes. The `gene-depleted' cell will likely be infertile, so won't produce any successors for geneticists to study. The cell with the `super-sized' gene, by contrast, may well multiply, and multiply the surplus genes with it.

^JB^ wrote:
2. And what is a "family of genes"? What's it relationship with the original genome.

I cannot directly answer your question about the relationship between the new genes and the old genome, because that involves an apples-to-oranges type of comparison. But there is a meaningful relationship between the new and the old genes. By `family of genes', your text means a set of new genes within a new genome that derives from some old gene within some old genome. `Derived' means that the new genes are copies of copies of (...) of copies of the ancestor old gene. (With incompatible mutations creeping in during the copying process.)
0 Replies