What songs/compositions really freak you out?

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 08:41 am
Personally, music that tries to be scary is generally laughable to me. I must have a David Lynch-style viewpoint on what is scary, because songs like Lee Hazelwood & Nancy Sinatra's "Some Velvet Morning" (which would be perfect in a Lynch film, I think) freak me out way more than any Marilyn Manson crap. Nick Cave came close with "The Carny", and "Your Funeral, My Trial". Blind Willie Johnson's haunting "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground"....Hildegaard von Bingen's "Ordo Virtutum" Shocked What tunes really freak you out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,373 • Replies: 63
No top replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 11:26 am
"Killing me softly" - I know it's supposed to be beautiful, but I can't quite see how killing can ever be beautiful...it just sounds like a horrible co-dependent relationship, at best!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 11:41 am
Currently it would be "Aerials" by System of a Down. Hate that song - guy sings it like he's possessed by demons.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:08 pm
There were also some moments in the Dr. Who theme...
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:29 pm
I always get the creeps from "Ring Christmas Bells". I know it's a Christmas song, but it sounds like it could be the soundtrack to a horror movie.

Daaaa da da da da, we come from hell, daa da da da, with evil spells.........
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:37 pm
Here's a handfull of killer songs that blow me away

We Got To Get Out Of This Place by Eric Burdon
Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
Politician by Cream
Living Loving Maid by Led Zep
I'm Going Upstairs by John Lee Hooker
White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane

There are plenty more.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 12:37 pm
Toby Keith, "Courtesy Of The Red White And Blue".

Another asshole with a hard on for war because he doesn't have to go.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 01:14 pm
How about that "It's a small world after all" song? By the time that's over, I wanna cut my own throat...

oldandknew had some good ones....when Eric Burdon sings that Tin Pan Alley standard, you can almost hear his mind snapping...creepiest Zep song for me might be 'Hangman' from Zep III....

To BPB: "Verily I say unto thee, never trust anyone who owns a clapper" Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 01:20 pm
The all time favs that are introductions to SATAN

Carmena Beurana (sp)

Tubular Bells
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 01:29 pm
True enough farmerman, Carmina Burana was of course, made famous by Carl Orff, but was taken from a set of medieval poems about horny blaspheming monks....it is still quite haunting in its original medieval musical settings. And Tubular Bells...just whatever happened to Mike Oldfield after that anyway? Makes you wonder...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 02:20 pm
"Come on Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners. I used to hear it all the time when I was younger in night-clubs and it was such a doofus song that there was no way to dance to it. Plus my moms name is Eileen and that freaked me out that I thought of her everytime I heard it!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 02:27 pm
Dexy's Midnight Runners were scary indeed....but creepy? Only on 'Behind the Music', I think...

Echo and the Bunnymen: 'A Promise' and 'Killing Moon', while we are on the era....and 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' by Specimen.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 02:30 pm
Dancing to DMR - hahahahahahahaha!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 02:33 pm
Hmm...on an 80's trip now....Joy Division's 'Closer' album...creepy especially with Ian hanging himself not long after and all...
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 02:33 pm
Etta James' version of "You Can Leave Your Hat On" gets me all of a jelly and Joe Cocker's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends" lays me flatter than my wife's rolling pin.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 04:19 pm
Oldfield has been doing the same kind of stuff. Last one I bought, a few years ago, was "Millenium Bells".

I'll be back with the Oldfield/satanic theme.
0 Replies

crazy daisy

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 06:11 pm
spanish train by chris de burgh

it freaked me out so bad when i was little and still kinda does. the whole god and devil thing about them playing poker for souls of the dead! it totally scarred me when i first heard it(i was about 6). i think its the way he sings it that freaked me out, screaming in some parts, and softly in others.....WOO! i'm freaked just talking about it!
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 06:34 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Hmm...on an 80's trip now....Joy Division's 'Closer' album...creepy especially with Ian hanging himself not long after and all...

Completely creeped me out as well cav!

I know it's meant to be creepy, but maybe coming from the "good boys," Helter Skelter freaked me six ways to Sunday! Maybe being of the era to have been through Sharon Tate's death media-wise.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 07:09 pm
who did'' theyre Coming to take me away ha ha "

also Johnie Cash's version of 9 in nails "I Hurt Myself today"

e RAmoones have always weirded me out. These big geeky Howard Stern lookalikes witth music like "Pet Semetary" and "I just wanna be sedated"

Bach's D Minor fugue also is reminiscent of some bad trips during the 70s
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 07:22 pm
I'm not gonna lie
I'll not be a gentleman
Behind the boathouse
I'll show you my dark secret

"Possum Kingdom" always freaks me out.

And "DOA" remember that one?

Iiiiiiiiiiii remember
We were flying low and hit something in the air

One freak-out one that I really like is the Talking Head's "Psycho Killer".

<you'd better run run run run run run run run away>
0 Replies