The Alphabet game

The Pen is

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:07 am
Pretty impreessed with the Aussies too.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:02 am
Quietly hoping for another positive result next Tuesday against Italy.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:33 pm
Really delighted that Australia made it. The world and his uncle will be supporting them against Italy next week. Italian football is not flavour of the month after recent allegations of bribery and match-fixing came to light.

On paper, Italy should be stronger, but no game was ever won on paper now, was it? :wink:

Go the 'roos! How are your sleep patterns these days, Dutch? Laughing
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:13 pm
G'day lmur!

Sacrilegious it may be to mention this, but the rugby union test match between Ireland and Australia is on tonight. I'm looking forward to it!
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:17 pm
Take it easy on us, will yaz! Our boys gave the All Blacks a run for their money over the last 2 weeks but still came up short.

How are you, lezzles?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:07 pm
Up until 3 am this morning doing a crossword puzzle, then woken at 7 am by a cement truck delivering and pouring cement across the road - so having a quiet day snoozing over the computer!

Hopefully I'll have a sleep-in tomorrow. I'm a Formula 1 fanatic and the race tomorrow night is at 2.30am our time.

Apart from that, I'm fine thank you lmur. And yourself?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:45 am
Very nice of you to drop in lmur and lezzles. Managed to stay awake this long today, but will have a snooze in front of the fire tonight. Smile

Proud of our Aussie boys, they're on a roll and who knows they may surprise the world.

I will leave rugby alone as I don't know anything about it lmur, but no doubt Butterfly will fill you in after the Aussies win Cool

F1 lezzles, never realised you were a petrol-head Very Happy Trust your favourite will win whoever he is.

Have a nice weekend my friends.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:59 am
Wishing Dutch a pleasant snooze by the fire. Get plenty of rest before the Italian game, my friend!

Hi lezzles - doing just fine, if a little zombified by the minimum four hours a day football-watch over the past two weeks.

Rugby now less than 10 minutes away. I'll be watching more in hope thn expectation.

Btw, I'm now the proud owner of a Roos soccer jersey! Cool
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:05 am
Xtra help required at this time of the game lmur, score 11 - 3 in favour of the Aussies at the 40 minute mark. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:13 pm
Yikes - comprehensive, nay, overwhelming victory for the Wallabies.

Ah well, it's a silly game anyway!

Congrats Oz.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:55 pm
Zapping feeling you must have lmur after that 37-15 drubbing, commiserations my friend, I'll probably have that same feeling when the Socceroos get eliminated from the WK Smile
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:54 pm
Almost ashamed to be happy about the Wallabies, lmur - almost.

I like watching most team sports - perhaps it's all those spunky young guys vying with each other (you know, the females, quietly standing around chomping on grass, feigning any interest in the males clashing horns for supremacy of the herd, and all that survival of the fittest/mating urge stuff).

Not really a rev-head at all, Dutchy. Can't abide the sedans (may as well go and stand on any street corner during peak hour - doesn't cost anything and probably more exciting) and just going around in circles as they do in the Indy 500 etc, seems pretty boring also.

Perhaps it's the design of the F1 cars, the romance of it all (the milieu of the rich and famous, Monte Carlo, Le Mans, etc) or again, just the plethora of gorgeous guys to ogle....

Cool
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 05:57 pm
Beautiful people you're into Lezzles, well I guess that leaves an ordinary old codger like me out on a limb, despite my Gucci sunnies I wear to the Goldcoast street races in October each year. Smile

Know what you mean though, never missed any of the Grand Prix races when they were staged in Adelaide, don't go to Melbourne now in protest because they pinched the race from us.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 02:37 am
Can't say I'm "into beautiful people", Dutchy, so please don't underrate yourself. Codgers are among my favourite people! (Depending, of course, on the codger in question!) :wink:

(I taught myself to read at age 4 when I found an Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Tarzan" book and in it there was a line "I do not trust beautiful men". At the time, I had no idea what that meant, but it stuck, and for me it has quite often proved to be true.)

Actually, I got hooked on F1 when my son was small - he loved it and as it was one of those rare things that bridge the generation gap, we used to watch every race together and over the years it was something we could both relate to and share. Our "heroes" started with Nicki Lauda, Nigel Mansell and then Michael Schumacher. (?Spelling). Whle I do think Shuey is a bit of a dish, I don't think either Nicki or Nigel would qualify as "beautiful".

And why they took the GP from Adelaide I will never know! It seemed to generate such an incredibly festive air - which has somehow never eventuated with the change.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:43 am
Devastated for my Aussie friends. To dominate a game virtually from start to finish and then to lose it in that fashion .... : Sad

Your team made a lot of friends along the way with their never-say-die spirit. I believe that the tournament is the poorer for their exit.

I'm sure they'll get a heroes welcome when they return. They deserve it.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:57 pm
Echoing your sentiments lmur, thank you for your kind words, agree the Aussie boys did exceptionally well and have achieved hero status in this country. Football was just a game here before the WK started now everybody is talking about the "Socceroos". A pity it ended in such a dismal fashion.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:00 pm
Echoing your sentiments lmur, thank you for your kind words, agree the Aussie boys did exceptionally well and have achieved hero status in this country. Football was just a game here before the WK started now everybody is talking about the "Socceroos". A pity it ended in such a dismal fashion.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 12:05 am
Funny, isn't it, that we turn the tragedy of defeat into something wonderful (like Gallipoli). I guess it makes them seem more human. Very proud of their efforts, and, there's always the next one!

Thanks for your commiserations, lmur.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:32 am
Good to have got so far, the pundits on the BBC are saying - turn it into a victory! Only a brief 4 years till the next time...
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:36 am
Have done that Clary, wait for the reception when the boys return home, Melbourne and Sydney are already fighting for the honour!

Have been thrown off a2k more times than I can remember today, must be some overhaul taking place. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies