Your absolute favorite Floyd album

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:51 pm
Obscured by Clouds is good, but seems a little directionless. And it reminds me strongly of hippies. But, I liked Wot's...Uh, The Deal, The Gold It's In the..., and Free Four. Other than that, what can I say? It was a movie soundtrack.

And if the native chanting taking up half of Absolutely Curtains does you, then more power to ya. But, it freaks me out a little.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:52 pm
And did no one like The Final Cut?? I rank that one high in my list. http://www.discussanything.com/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 02:00 am
The first full album that I'd heard from Floyd was Animals. It's still one of the top three for me. I sank into a deep depression right out of high school with the help of The Wall. The other two that I consider part of the top three are Meddle and Wish You Were Here.

One of the most memorable experiences I've had listening to Floyd was early dawn right when the sun was about to break over the desert horizon, traveling east down an endless far West Texas highway, listening to Shine On, and right when Gilmore picks those first notes of the main melody, the sun erupted, Gilmore continued picking those incredible notes, the sun came up a bit more, and the rest of the band came in and continued the song. It was like a greeting to the sun. The timing was serendipitous.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 02:52 am
I think I've said this before, but my most memorable Floyd moment was when I saw them at Knebworth (UK).

Big crowd all milling about and making a noise, waiting for the band to appear. There was then a gradual hush as the distinctive noise of a diving Spitfire came from the direction of the setting sun.
The crowd turned round to watch the approach, and cheered as it roared overhead (bloody low) , past the stage and carried on out of sight.

It was then we noticed that the band had sneaked onto the stage while we were looking the other way. They launched straight into the first number, with perfect timing.

A brilliant entrance and a wonderful evening.

30 years ago, eh?..............
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0507041.html
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:08 am
CrazyDiamond wrote:
And did no one like The Final Cut?? I rank that one high in my list. http://www.discussanything.com/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif

umm, check my post on page 2 :wink:

i'm with you on obscured by clouds, the actual "songs" are quite good, but the other soundtrack bits i can take or leave
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:19 am
CrazyDiamond wrote:
Obscured by Clouds is good, but seems a little directionless. And it reminds me strongly of hippies. But, I liked Wot's...Uh, The Deal, The Gold It's In the..., and Free Four. Other than that, what can I say? It was a movie soundtrack.

And if the native chanting taking up half of Absolutely Curtains does you, then more power to ya. But, it freaks me out a little.

reminded you of hippies? A Floyd album? Wherever did you get that?
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:43 am
Well, you know, they usually don't put off that kind of feeling. It's a unique album. Almost doesn't sound like floyd at all.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:06 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:
Well, you know, they usually don't put off that kind of feeling. It's a unique album. Almost doesn't sound like floyd at all.

oddly enough, it sounds like it should be a syd barrett pink floyd album

sort of like one last kick at the can before they went on to the big stuff
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:12 pm
Wish You Were Here and Ummagumma.

IMO, Pink Floyd went down hill with the release of The Wall and their subsequent albums.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:26 pm
djjd62 wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:

oddly enough, it sounds like it should be a syd barrett pink floyd album

sort of like one last kick at the can before they went on to the big stuff

Yeah, that's a good way to put it.
Except, a Syd Barret PF album would leave you, on 50% of the songs, saying 'What the hell is this stuff?' That guy was crazy(literally). And he was into wierd noises and songs that sound like they would be good if only you were high on some acid, like he surely was when he wrote it.
0 Replies