Your absolute favorite Floyd album

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:26 pm
The time has come for you to make the most important decision you will ever make in your lifetime. Which one is it???

I chose Wish You Were Here because, although The Wall and DSTM first captured my attention and made me a fan, Wish You Were Here has been the closest to my heart ever since I listened to it. Then, comes The Wall. For me this album has always been meaningful and I've always thought that there wasn't a weak point in the entire album. I know I'm giving DSTM the shaft (because I did love it, really I did), but it was a very close race and The Wall just barely pulled ahead. Anyway, here's my list:
1. Wish You Were Here
2. The Wall
3. Dark Side of the Moon
4. The Final Cut
5. Animals
6. Meddle
7. Atom Heart Mother
8. The Division Bell
9. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
10+. A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Obscured by Clouds, More (the motion picture soudtrack), Relics, Ummagumma, A Saucerful of Secrets etc., etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,556 • Replies: 29
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:05 pm
Love them all, but right now my favorite is Is There Anybody Out There. A live version of The Wall that has the same lyrics as the movie.

I had to cast my vote for Pulse because it is still a conversation starter to this day, not to mention a great compilation including all of DSTM.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:11 pm
Stuck my hand up for Dark Side.The only time I saw them LIVE was on the Animals tour in London.These buggers owe me money! After listening to the early multi-channel sound that they used live,stereo was never enough for me after that.Starting the upgrade with Quadraphonic 12 inch LP,ending up with SACD..........pure heaven Very Happy
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:27 pm
I didn't put the live albums in the list sublime, except for Pulse, because otherwise I knew someone would bring up the flashy light, which is, by the way, still friggin' cool to this day. And a complete waste of money. (the light, not the album)

But, I think that Is There Anybody Out There is probably the best live album they released. And, just to let anyone out there know: The Delicate Sound of Thunder blows hole! PF cannot function creatively without Roger Waters (aka: the creative genius of Floyd and the brains behind the lyrics) or his singing. I don't care if Gilmour's got a great voice, which he does, Roger Waters sings many of the songs, not some replacement.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:36 pm
Agreed and agreed.

I have to admit A Momentary Lapse of Reason is up there with my favorite albums even though it was not looked upon favoribley by critics. I'm curious why you didn't include it in your poll.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 01:05 am
Atom Heart Mother.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 02:01 am
I'm one of those wierdos who likes another album, purely because it was the first one of theirs that I ever heard and so it took my Pink Floyd virginity.

UMMAGUMMA.

Mad scotsman galloping on a horse and yabbering away about anything and everything. A bloody great fly, buzzing around the room and being splatted.....and....of course.......

Careful with that axe, Eugene ......originally called "Murderistic Women", when first aired as they played live on radio one (UK), back in the late 60's.

Stereo was just coming in, and Ummagumma was also the first album I listened to on my dads brand spanking new "stereogram". This contraption was like a small sideboard, set up on four spindly wooden legs.
I found that, to get the best possible stereo effect, I had to lie on the floor with my head directly underneath the stereogram. MARVELLOUS!

The album belonged to my older brother, who used to put me in a headlock and give me what I believe you Americans call a noogie, everytime he caught me using it without his permission......aaaah! Happy days.....
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 03:26 am
DSOTM and The Wall...

fantastic albums!

Not a huge Pink Floyd fan, but great musicians.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:32 am
careful with that axe eugene
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:36 am
I consider Pink Floyd to be one of the most overrated bands of all time.

Pink Floyd and The Eagles are two bands that, when I hear them on the radio, I can't turn the dial fast enough to escape the wretched sound.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:44 am
sublime1 wrote:
Agreed and agreed.

I have to admit A Momentary Lapse of Reason is up there with my favorite albums even though it was not looked upon favoribley by critics. I'm curious why you didn't include it in your poll.

Well, I just didn't like it too much. For post-Roger Waters PF, I liked The Divison Bell much more. And I just didn't think it would be good enough to be anyone's favorite...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:46 am
Meddle was damn good too. I saw them on tour promoting that album. They did Atom Heart in it's entirety on that tour and performed part of Ummagumma as well. Stunning!!!!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
wish you were here

dark side of the moon

the wall

the final cut
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 02:13 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I found that, to get the best possible stereo effect, I had to lie on the floor with my head directly underneath the stereogram. MARVELLOUS!

And I thought I was the only silly bugger to do that Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 02:17 am
If the Wall doesn't win i'm going to take my lap top in the backyard douse it in gasoline and torch the son of a bitch.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 02:34 am
I'm a friggin' weirdo and I like one of the ones that you didn't say...

Momentary Lapse Of Reason

"Learning To Fly" is one of my favorite songs.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:34 am
At Christmas I purchased a number of discs to give to my nephews. Among others, I decided on three Pink Floyd selections:

Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here and

The Wall.

The first two were part of my own coming of age. Even though I think they need to be part of any collection, it's been years since I listened to Wish You Were Here; I skip by it every time. Dark Side of the Moon is a listening rarity for me, and though The Wall gets put on more often, I definitely cherry pick.

I'd like to add The Division Bell to your list. Although I didn't purchase it for them, I have it, and it's gotten the most play from me in the last few years. It's a fine album.

But then, I'm a friggin' weirdo. I still like The Eagles Razz
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:02 am
I like The Division Bell and The Eagles. :wink:
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:29 pm
barrythemod wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

And I thought I was the only silly bugger to do that Laughing

We were MILLIONS all over the world.
And watching the cover while listening was nearly orgasmic.

Anyway, about the poll:

1. UMMAGUMMA
2. Atom Heart Mother
3. The Wall (a great film, besides)
4. Dark Side of the Moon

(I'm no Ratzenhofer, but I once was almost kicked out of a party for saying: "Pink Floyd is a great Second Division band").
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:33 pm
So noone ever listhen to Valley Obscured by Clouds?
0 Replies