OK you Colonials....I KNOW where you came from.....

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 02:38 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I should have mentioned the site that is specifically for the colonial of non British descent.

Since Mrs. Walter qualifies as being of zonial British descent as well (I would, too, but lack to certification Crying or Very sad ) ...

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/4369/britischerausweisvornea8fm.th.jpg http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/8314/britischerausweisinnena9wn.th.jpg

... I could of course trace here back to Norwich (1881) and York (1998) :wink:
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:00 pm
clustered nicely in the south around bournemouth, just as i'd always been told

now to see were we went (bloody slow website)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:11 pm
we've spread out and moved a bit north but still mostly in the south
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:50 pm
There were a bunch of people with my/hamburger's surname in the southeast (Kent, Set says) in 1881.

The name seems to have vanished since.

Odd, since I had no idea the name really existed in the English-speaking world.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
ehBeth wrote:
There were a bunch of people with my/hamburger's surname in the southeast (Kent, Set says) in 1881.

The name seems to have vanished since.

Odd, since I had no idea the name really existed in the English-speaking world.

I'm pretty sure that your family must have been those wretched Lowans.
They were deported to Australia for stealing apples, I'm afraid.

Bloody hundreds of 'em. Bred like rabbits.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:09 pm
mmmmm

unlikely

hamburger's originally from errrrrrrr Hamburg in Germany

and why we'd have gone to Australia before going to Germany and then Canada .... <shakes head>... nope not likely
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:12 pm
"WE ARE CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING VERY LARGE VOLUMES OF TRAFFIC SO IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER."

Hey! Get off the line!

So, looks like my surname is celtic-scottish. But, we knew that was part of the mix.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:14 pm
littlek wrote:

Hey! Get off the line!

Embarrassed Sorry, littlek. (Italo celts?)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:16 pm
My crossing relative arrived in Virginia in about 1617, fellow named William Jeoffrey (now Jeffries) and his wife Fryswith. They were glad to be upon free soil and did not, nor did any of their progeny, with the exception of one mad uncle, ever return to England.

Waiting for the traffic to clear on the site.

Joe(yes, before the bloody Pilgrims) Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:17 pm
Looks like Setanta's folks were pathfinding all over the goldang island in 1881. Not just minding their Celtic business. He's not going to like knowing he's got Brit relatives.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
My crossing relative arrived in Virginia in about 1617, fellow named William Jeoffrey (now Jeffries) and his wife Fryswith.

Fryswith? Cool. Sounds like some kind of cool drink, well, more like some kind of would-be sophisticated yoghurt drink (cool in the literal sense). Drink Fryswith!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:29 pm
Western Scotland. Family got tossed out of there in the 18th century ended up in Pennsylvania. Got tossed out of there in 1784 and ended up in Canada, got... never mind.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
littlek wrote:

Hey! Get off the line!

You'd be surprised at how many there are of us. This is the melting pot, after all.

So, I got the map, but I have no idea what counties are represented (I do know that some are in London.

Hang on...

My atlas doesn't list the counties, but, the heaviest populations of people with my surnames are around glasgow and edinburgh - makes sense, since that's where most scots are.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:36 pm
littlek wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
littlek wrote:

Hey! Get off the line!

around glasgow and edinburgh - makes sense, since that's where most scots are.

Nowadays, most Scots have either migrated to Canada, in the Pub or living in London and working as an M.P. in the house of commons.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:41 pm
well, those with my last name are definitely in glasgow and edinburgh. Hmmm, maybe canada has one of these databases.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:42 pm
Lordie, did you know that there's one of those surname searches for the US too?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 04:57 pm
< An aside to Dagmar http://feefhs.org/SLOVAK/SKDB1/SLRPI.HTML >
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:11 pm
littlek wrote:

"feefhs org skdbi slrpi html"?

Wow, even the URL is in Slovak!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:16 pm
littlek wrote:
Lordie, did you know that there's one of those surname searches for the US too?

I have no idea, littlek. I believe that it was an enormous task, just entering the UK's piffling little Census population onto computer, so I would imagine that the USA would be a bit of a nightmare.

The response for the Census website, when it first came online was tremendous, and it took me about five days to actually manage to log on.

This surname site is causing just as much interest at the moment, so I would imagine that it would be best to re-visit it from time to time, until it has all calmed down.

Maybe your government website would be able to give you some information as to any similar projects.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:19 pm
Nono! I'm saying that there is! We had it on the site some time ago.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:32:50