OK you Colonials....I KNOW where you came from.....

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
Now....if you were born in the USA, Canada, Oz or NZ, chances are, unless Great Grandmama married a Johnnie Foreigner, you have more than a fair chance of having a fine upstanding British surname lurking within the family tree during the last couple of generations.

Before you get too excited, this DOESN'T necessarily entitle you to lift your finger whilst drinking tea, be excused from showering everyday or shedding a tear when England lose at cricket.

You see, there is now a little list of websites that are causing a bit of a stir over here, showing that people didn't move around the place quite as much as we thought they did.

About a year ago, the national Census records were put onto the web, which promptly crashed as we all logged on at once. Now, they have used data from these records, to come up with some fascinating bits and pieces.

Don't all log on at once, now.......

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002171,00.html

My, you've come a long way - without even leaving home By Nicola Woolcock

"SURNAME maps that blow apart the myth of mass geographical mobility are the lure of the latest family history website to be swamped by huge demand.
The Surname Profiler website was set up only five days ago but has received more than three million hits from people keen to trace their roots. Its findings put paid to the belief that recent population movement around Britain has left a jumble of surnames with no discernible regional patterns.

Users can look at maps that compare the distribution of more than 25,000 surnames in the 1881 Census with that of the 1998 electoral register.

They throw up startlingly similar pictures for many names and indicate that relatively few people move far from their birthplace. But a part of the website that will prove most interesting for social climbers allows people to check the relative status of their surname......."

MARVELLOUS!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,226 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:37 am
By the way, you won't find Ellpus anywhere, owing to the fact that it is a family tradition to enter our surname as Fortescue-Smythe on any Census form, purely for the purpose of tax avoidance.

The surname site is "surnameprofiler.org", with the usual w's at the front.

It may be experiencing heavy traffic, but if you are interested, just keep it on file somewhere until it is less busy.

Good luck.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:04 pm
I found nothing... Apparently the Von Schnitzelhosen clan never made it to the sceptered isle.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:10 pm
Checked the String-Hems, LTX.

I have it on good authority <Miss Noddy, the finest of authorities> that this may be your paternal maiden name.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:16 pm
apparently I'm gaelic, does that mean Scots?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:16 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
I found nothing... Apparently the Von Schnitzelhosen clan never made it to the sceptered isle.

Wait a mo ?.........I knew a Lion tamer by the name of X. Von Schnitzelhosen once!

Bugger got me drunk in Singapore.

Woke up on a putt putt, halfway up the Yangtze.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:17 pm
no pure bred slovaks in that database. what's it good for then?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:35 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:

Wait a mo ?.........I knew a Lion tamer by the name of X. Von Schnitzelhosen once!

Bugger got me drunk in Singapore.

Woke up on a putt putt, halfway up the Yangtze.

That would have been my great uncle Xerxes von Schnitzelhosen. He made his fortune on motor-scooters and mini-golf.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:36 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Checked the String-Hems, LTX.

I have it on good authority <Miss Noddy, the finest of authorities> that this may be your paternal maiden name.

Now, that is hitting below the belt...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:39 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
no pure bred slovaks in that database. what's it good for then?

I DO apologize my dear, I should have mentioned the site that is specifically for the colonial of non British descent.

You need to go to :- www.bloodyforeigners.wotwot
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:45 pm
grrrrr. bloody brits. at it again.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:47 pm
http://cetl1.geog.ucl.ac.uk/output/GBnames_CETL121204052412905.png

Apparently this is where I came from.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

That's what I get: Imported From Abroad; European; German Laughing

Pretty accurate, no?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Gosh darn it I don't see Kaczinsky in there
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:48 pm
Or Wraclowicz either...ah, I see the Wilkens thread is a bit better...but volume is making me wait.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 01:36 pm
I'm not even gonna try birth name.

The brits seems to insist there be at least one vowel in it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 01:47 pm
AHA! You must be Polish or something. Czrszkyzsnzsynski I'll bet!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 02:03 pm
Shocked how'd you guess!

perfect except for the "i" on the end, it's "sky"
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 02:18 pm
Bonnie Scotland...looking at that map makes me really want to see her.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
Quote:
The maps confirm the Scottish heritage of many politicians. Despite Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Sir Menzies Campbell and Ken Livingstone now being based in London, most of their kin have stayed north of the Border

They're all Scottish! Shocked

Its a veritable coup d'etat...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » OK you Colonials....I KNOW where you came from.....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:24:49