some quiz questions

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:06 am
Hope i have done this ok, as it is my first time using A2K. so here goes!! I have a few questions that are in a local quiz, and hope someone may be able to help me with the answers.
1 In Tigger -The Movie, when Tigger searches his barrel for his family roots what ship's name is on the lifesaver he throws out?
2 I am looking for what comes next in these sequences.
fgr, gal,sas,mam, ld, lal, pp ?
1, 111, 10, 121, 11, 12 ?
3 These next two are anagrams.
Trendy climactic snog (a tv series)
Lacerate as woodenly top (novel and author)
4 What is the missing number. 4, 8, 6, 18, 15, 60, 56, 280, ? 1650
5 Who connects the numbers 1. 2. 3, 4, 5, 16, 44, 49, 69, 78, 84, 88 with respect to 31st March 1964?
6 These are good!! If you take a bar of chocolate which is 4 small squares by 5 small squares, what is the least number of breaks you can take to have the 20 small squares separated (always breaking along the lines)?
7 A room contains one grandfather, one grandmother, two fathers, two mothers, four children, three grandchildren, one brother, two sisters, two sons, two daughter, one father-in-law, gone mother-in-law, and one daughter-in-law. What is the smallest number of people who could be there? If anybody is clever enough to work this one out, could you please explain how you get your answer!!
8 According to statistics 300,000 to 1 are theodds of a certain sport's participants to do what?
9 Jimmy Greaves once said 'If Chopper Harris was in a good mood he'd put ........... on his boots'. What word is missing, represented by the dashes?
10. And finally - A Times announcement on 22nd July 1974 was as follows; 'now returned to the shores, a revitalised man. All faculties intact, wishes to deny premature reports of his demise previously recorded in these columns. Will shortly address the nation re affirming that his fingers are the one' To whom did it refer?
Sorry if there is a lot in this post, but they are the last ones in a quiz of 130 questions, so don't think i have done too bad without asking for help.
Thanks for any answers i may receive Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,183 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:53 am
Your answer for 9 is "iodine"
See http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Sport/Question185521.html
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:09 am
Question 5, I think, refers to positions held by The Beatles in the Billboard Top 100 on 31/3/1964:

From GOOGLE:
Quote:
By March 31st, The Beatles held the top five hits on the Billboard chart:

No. 1-"Can't Buy Me Love" 2-"Twist And Shout" 3-"She Loves You" 4-"I Want To Hold Your Hand" 5-"Please Please Me"

A musical first.

By April 4th, the group held 14 spots on Billboard's Hot 100: besides the top five mentioned above, there was also:

No. 31-"I Saw Her Standing There" 41-"From Me To You" 46-"Do You Want To Know A Secret" 58-"All My Loving" 65-"You Can't Do That" 68-"Roll Over Beethoven" 79-"Thank You Girl"
0 Replies

blondeboy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:27 pm
Thanks, keep them coming, all contributions welcome!!
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:37 pm
4. 275
6. 19
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:52 pm
Check out the thread "What Comes Next". Some of your questions appear there too.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:27 pm
Quote:
8 According to statistics 300,000 to 1 are the odds of a certain sport's participants to do what?

Just a guess - a golfer to be struck by lightning?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:41 pm
lmur

You are about 276.000 to 1 off the mark.
See: http://www.walterindenver.com/archives/000723.html Smile
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:47 pm
Hi lmur

But than again you could well be right, depending which statistics you believe. Smile
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:48 pm
Sorry Lmur, but I forgot to mention to have a look at the following site: http://www.beauproductions.com/golfswingsws/healthpages/lightning.html
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:51 pm
Dutchy wrote:
lmur

You are about 276.000 to 1 off the mark.
See: http://www.walterindenver.com/archives/000723.html Smile

What's 276,000/1 between friends?

From GOOGLE:
Quote:
Approximately three hundred thousand sperm cells take off from the starting gate. With few exceptions, only one will unite with the egg cell at the end of the tunnel.

Can you provide the sporting context?
0 Replies

blondeboy

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:15 am
Hi lezzles, guess someone else is looking for help with this quiz too!! Thanks, and for the other answers or discussions that are going on about the golf and lightening, will try and look a bit further into that one, now i have an idea of what it might be.
0 Replies

blondeboy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:12 am
Hi Imur, yes thats a great answer, it's certainly a sporty thing to do, but not sure if that would be in the right context for this quiz. An extra thing, can you tell me how to put a quote or a proverb under the line in your answers, as i am new to this i haven't figured out how it is done. Thanks.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:17 pm
blondeboy wrote:
Hi Imur, yes thats a great answer, it's certainly a sporty thing to do, but not sure if that would be in the right context for this quiz. An extra thing, can you tell me how to put a quote or a proverb under the line in your answers, as i am new to this i haven't figured out how it is done. Thanks.

Hi blondeboy (never thought I'd hear myself say THOSE words!).

Click on "Profile" near the top of the page, scroll down to "Signature, enter your text in the box provided, then press "submit" at the bottom of that page and Bob's your uncle! You can't post links or images there, btw
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:30 am
Hey lMur - with that snowy mo of yours, why not?

Oh yes! Thank you for the x's - they came in very handy!!

About the 1 in 300,000 - I thought about a hole-in-one, but those odds are much smaller - but I couldn't find anything about getting more than one in the same game. Any ideas there???
0 Replies

blondeboy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:01 am
Thanks Imur, saying hello to a blondeboy wasn't that difficult was it? I am sure you will manage it again when i post my next question.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
lezzles wrote:
About the 1 in 300,000 - I thought about a hole-in-one, but those odds are much smaller - but I couldn't find anything about getting more than one in the same game. Any ideas there???

This link suggests that the odds of the above are astronomical.

http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/holeinoneodds.htm

Glad you found the x's useful!!

Hope you find the answer, blondeboy, please post it if you do.
0 Replies

blondeboy

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 02:57 am
Yes i sure will post the answer, i am finishing the quiz of today, thursday 26th so still not sure what to go for, maybe the sperm one, that certainly sounds the most interesting one!!
0 Replies