Good grief! The ultimate hideous "tennis parent"?

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:32 pm
I don't really know why I'm posting this. Probably because I couldn't quite believe what I was reading in a "respectable" newspaper! Shocked Imagine the terrible pressure that Jelena Docic grew up with, being coached & managed by this man, her father. And now he talks of wanting to drop a nuclear bomb on Australia! And Croation & Vatican conspiracies to brainwash his daughter into returning to Australia. That poor young woman. Her childhood & tennis career must have been pure torture. Just insane!:

....Damir Dokic, who has been kicked out of both the US Open and Wimbledon tournaments after displaying erratic behaviour, was reported in a Serbian newspaper saying he wanted to drop a nuclear bomb on Australia.

He also accused Croats and Catholics of brainwashing his daughter into returning to Australia, where he and his family had lived for seven years.

"Australia with the help of Croatia and the Vatican have brainwashed my daughter," Damir Dokic told the daily newspaper Kurir.

"I have thought about dropping a nuclear bomb on Sydney since Jelena lost in the first round this week, for which Australia is to blame.

"I have even thought about killing an Australian in revenge, but I wouldn't gain anything from it."

Speaking on radio station yesterday, Damir Dokic denied he had made the nuclear bomb threat.

The man who once coached Jelena said his feelings towards Australian tennis had not changed after his daughter lost to Frenchwoman Virginie Razzano in the first round of the Australian Open this week, when a vital line call went against her.

"Jelena has been cheated and the ball was in and this only really happens in Australia and Australians have cheated her again," he said through an interpreter.

He told the radio station that he had not spoken to his daughter for two years and would not speak to her even if an opportunity to do so could be organised.

He made no comment on claims in his newspaper interview that he had sought help from Serbian politicians, including an accused war criminal, to kidnap Jelena, but one of his supposed candidates for the task was awaiting trial in the Netherlands as a war criminal. ....

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/jelena-shuns-erratic-fathers-latest-rant/2006/01/19/1137553714999.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,441 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:16 pm
Someone is not taking his meds.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:23 pm
Yeah, it certainly sounds like it, Noddy.
I was just thinking, though, that his unfortunate daughter had to put up with this man "managing her career" from a very young age. Say nothing of living off her earnings, I suppose. Very scary. Sounds like abuse to me. (where the hell was her mother? Confused ) And this latest bizarre outburst came after she'd not had anything to do with the man for two years! Ughhhh!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:47 pm
This was coming for a loooong time.

Did I dream she ditched him a few years ago?

I hope nothing more yucky than just paranoid controlling madness was going on...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:48 am
She says she hasn't spoken to him for about two years, Deb. Despite that, madness via the media!

Yes, now that I consider the possibilities, hopefully there was nothing more than "paranoid controlling madness" going on. The more I learn, the more I think Jelena is very brave, indeed. Congratulations to the Oz sporting community, media & public for supporting her return so whole-heartedly!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:12 pm
Quote:
He told the radio station that he had not spoken to his daughter for two years and would not speak to her even if an opportunity to do so could be organised

Hint...hint....hint...HINT....HINT...HINT

Meanwhile, he'll just go nova all by his lonesome.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:02 pm
There was an incident in the United States in which the father of one school-boy athlete assaulted the father of another, beating him even after he had fallen, inflicting injuries which resulted very shortly thereafter in the victim's death. This is one aspect of this insanity.

The other is pure ethnic hatred. The Serbs as a nation have a persecution complex larger than the Balkans. It is a mainstay of their national identity that they have been for almost a millenium, solitary warriors valiantly protecting Europe from Turkish hordes. When the Sarajevo psychiatrist, Radovan Karadzic, began the Serb Democratic Party in Bosnia in 1989, he was careful to always brand the Bosnians as Turks--no better method could have been devised to demonize "the other" in the looming conflict. Bosnians are nominally Muslims, although few of them could realistically be described as devout. Calling them Turks was perfect propaganda to appeal to the deep ethnic hatred which Serbs in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Serbia itself cherish as a national heirloom.

The people the Serbs love to hate almost as much as Turks are the Croatians and Slovenes. They are Catholic Slavs in the northwest of what once was Yugoslavia. Croats and Serbs speak two dialects of the same language which are nearly indistinguishable. Croatians, from their long association with and proximity to Austria, are Catholic and write their language using the Roman alphabet. The Serbs, from the long association with neighboring Slavic people (and a particular affinity with the Russians) use the Cyrillic alphabet to write the same language, and because of their proximity to Greece and their affinity with Russia, are Orthodox. When Yugoslavia began to unravel in 1991, the Serbs in Serbia attempted to use the Yugoslav army to suppress separatists in Slovenia, but the Croatians would not roll over on the army crossing their territory, so the Serbs and Croatians went to war instead. Croatia is sufficiently populous and prosperous to mount an effective military riposte--but no so for poor Bosnia. Josip Broz, known to history as Marshall Tito, was descended from Slovenian and Croatian parents, but he favored Serbs in the post-World War Two communist government he founded and maintained as "dictator for life." In 1968 and 1969, he used the Serbs to crush the "Croatian Spring," an independence and anti-communist movement. The deep hatreds between Croatian and Serb were exacerbated by murderous rivalries during the Second World War--and ironically, the Serbs who benefited from Tito's favor despise him and slander his memory because he was Croatian in their eyes.

So you take the first obsession (of probably projecting one's own self-worth through a child's performance in sports) and add it to the obsessive ethnic hatred, and it's easy to see why this gobshite rails against the Croatians and the Pope.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 01:35 am
Setanta wrote:
... So you take the first obsession (of probably projecting one's own self-worth through a child's performance in sports) and add it to the obsessive ethnic hatred, and it's easy to see why this gobshite rails against the Croatians and the Pope.

(...and add to that, your talented child as your (up-market) on-going meal ticket, with you as the controlling adult.)

I know what you're talking about, Sentata. This is a form of obsessive ethnic identification that verges on madness. I've seen a bit of this, up close. Very ugly.
0 Replies