How do I take a photo that can be enlarged to 8 X 10?

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 07:29 pm
I get my photos developed at this place that has an online photofinishing service, very cool. When I get my photos developed (from film) I either get a CD with all of them or have them uploaded to an online album, and then I can order enlargements and such through them.

So far, every time I've tried to order an 8 X 10, there has been a red x next to that option, an icon that translates to (and I quote), "not recommended to print at this size." The best, most crisp ones I have are fine for up to 5 X 7 -- and that's all. (The not-as-good ones are only fine for up to 4 X 6, the 5 X 7 option sports the red X, too.)

Should I be getting different film? I usually get Kodak 400.

Should I ignore their "recommendations"?

Would there be a difference if I brought in the original negatives?

Any advice appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,235 • Replies: 15
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:43 pm
Hey Soz,

Digital images are set at a fixed resolution (DPI: dots per inch). While decreasing the size is ok, going up in size is not recommended because you lose resolution. For example, if you have a 4 x 6 at 300 dpi (recommended printing resolution) and you double the size, you are at the same time, halving the resolution. Every time you decrease the resolution you decrease the quality of the image. If you bring in the negative, they should be able to increase the size to 8 x 10 because it is a pure image (ie. not digital).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:46 pm
How come sometimes it's OK for 5 X 7, then?

(And sometimes it isn't?)

They're all printed as 4 X 6's, but I think the digital information is taken from the negatives. (I have a regular 35 MM, not a digital camera.) When I open them on my screen they're large. I can send you one as an example, if you'd like.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:51 pm
I can check the resolution if you send me one.

It all depends on what resolution they scan your negative in at. I'm not sure why some would be ok at 5 x 7 and others not if they are all the same resolution. It probably shows up large on screen because it is full size at 72 dpi which is what your monitor resolution is. In order to get it to 300 dpi (assuming that is what they are printing at), they would have to shrink the image size.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:54 pm
I'd have to do it as an email attachment, tried photobucket and imageshack but they both resized it so that defeats the purpose.

I think I still have your email, just a sec...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:56 pm
sent
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:01 pm
Got it. The image is 8.222 x 5.556 at 72 dpi.

If they are printing it at 6 x 4 it is only at 98 dpi... which is really low.

This is only if you use the digital version, though. If you bring in the negative they can either scan it at a real high resolution or use an enlarger to print a new picture.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:02 pm
ps... nice picture.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:03 pm
The following is scan information from negatives to CD. You would need at least base*4 to produce a good 8x10.

Name Resolution File Size

base/16 128x192 0.07MB
base/4 256x384 0.29MB
base 512x768 1.2MB
base*4 1024x1536 4.7MB
base*16 2048x3072 18.9MB
base*64 4096x6144 75.5MB

The 8x10 could be printed directly from the negatve.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
Hmm, I wonder if THAT image was resized by Yahoo, because that doesn't sound right at all. I already have the 4 X 6 photo and the 5 X 7 phot -- both excellent. When I have the original viewed as full-screen it looks very good/ crisp. Maybe tell me how you find the dpi and I'll go from there.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:08 pm
Any time good view a picture on screen it will look good because your monitor is at 72 dpi (unless you have a HD monitor). It is possible that yahoo compressed it. Any chance you have access to an ftp sight?

I use photoshop to check resolution. Open in photoshop. Go to Image > Image Size and that will bring up a window which will show your resolution.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:27 pm
Best buy has a nice explanation of resolution. Do a googlew search for "resolution for an 8 x 10 image" it is the third link from the top.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:30 pm
I figured out what happened with that photo I sent you, but I still can't figure out the dpi of the original and don't really want to do the whole thing again...

I don't have Photoshop, haven't figured it out in iPhoto.

As far as I have gotten is that it is 1800 by 1215 pixels, and 549 KB.

I'll take in the negatives (if I can find them!! this whole thing came about because I was organizing photos from the past year, saw that one, said hey not bad, and thought about getting it enlarged -- the negatives are somewhere in a box upstairs) and see what happens.

Still appreciate any general tips on how to make a good 8 X 10 more likely. (A certain kind of film? Etc.)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:35 pm
You mentioned that you use 400 ASA film as a general rule. The higher the ASA, the courser the grain in the film. I would suggest that you use 200 if lighting conditions do not dictate otherwise.

Also, are you trying to get the prints from the CD or the online uploads. The CD would be higher resolution than the upload.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:38 pm
CD. They seem to be the same, though.

The online upload has thumbnails for viewing, but then you can download a "full size" version. Those are the ones I have saved, and they seem identical to the CD ones.

Thanks for the 200/ 400 distinction, I have 200 film now so will see what happens with that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:03 pm
To get the size you can print at 300dpi, just divide the size by 300. Your 1800 x 1215 would give you a 6x4 at 300dpi. You can get a pretty clear print at 150 dpi but it won't be photo quality. At 75-100 dpi the dots are fairly obvious up close. A lot of large banners are printed at lower resolution because they are only seen from a distance.

Film is a lot higher dpi than digital photos. It costs more to get a decent hires scan but it can be done if you go to a commercial photo or print shop. If you want it blown up and have the negatives take in the negatives and do it the old fashioned way. You will get a much better photo that will probably last longer too. Inks tend to fade in printed pieces unless you are paying more for specialty inks.
0 Replies