CREATURES OF HABIT

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 05:19 am
Between four and four-thirty this morning, Miss Cleo (whose picture appears to the left) began a low, throaty, growling sort of bark, actually rather quiet, although it awakened me right away. She wanted to be let outside. So, calling Mr. Bailey, the other dog, as well, i let them out the back. Just a little while ago, just after six, i put the kettle on. I then heard Miss Cleo on the stairs, and she hurried to the back door to be let out. Nevermind that she had been out two hours earlier, the dogs are let out just after six each morning, and have an expectation of it. I gave her a charcoal biscuit when she came back in--its a digestive aid they seem to enjoy--and Mr. Bailey appeared silently, expecting his biscuit, too.

By eight o'clock, i will need to have cut up stale bread for the birds, because they will have assembled in the shrubbery, and will expect it. At about nine, the squirrels will have decided that all is quiet on the doggy front, and that they can descend into the yard to steal the birds' bread. At that point, it will only be necessary for me to say "Squirrel" in a normal speaking voice, and then quickly open the back door and stand aside. The dogs will burst out, intent on murder. The squirrels will have their morning work-out in running and climbing.

None of them have been known to wear wrist watches or otherwise consult clocks, but their expectations have been conditioned (as has my behavior), and they are ready on the mark at the appropriate hour.

We are all creatures of habit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,642 • Replies: 3
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 05:49 am
None more so than edgar.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:00 am
Or, inded, Set.

Note how the beasts have conditioned him to proffer them their necessary victuals and actions at the same time each day.

They are probably commenting amongst themselves upon how biddable and trainable these odd beasts are.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 06:06 am
Of that, Miss Wabbit, there is no doubt . . . the Sweetiepie Girl and i have often commented on it . . .
0 Replies