Current Books/Bestsellers

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:00 pm
Are there any bestsellers, or anything that's current but not necessarily a bestseller, that you've read recently that you would recommend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 982 • Replies: 10
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:01 pm
Right now I'm reading "Seven Types of Ambiguity" and despite it's ridiculous title it is really very interesting and clever.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:10 pm
One of my last guilty pleasures along those lines was the book about Seabiscuit, the racehorse. I enjoyed the story immensely.

(Readers note: Stop reading the book when you get to the end of the story, and skip the author interview and book club questions...Trust me on this.)
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 11:24 pm
Ah yes, I kept meaning to read that one, LionTamer. Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to put that one on my list!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:52 am
LionTamerX wrote:
One of my last guilty pleasures along those lines was the book about Seabiscuit, the racehorse. I enjoyed the story immensely.

(Readers note: Stop reading the book when you get to the end of the story, and skip the author interview and book club questions...Trust me on this.)

Yes, I was surpristed I liked Seabiscuit so much.

One or twice, during a race, I actually found myself holding my breath!

cool.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:09 am
Any mystery by Stuart Woods.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:12 pm
Current books/bestsellers
If you're in the mood for some non-fiction written with a light touch, but with underlying seriousness, you could try John Mortimer's latest, "Where There's a Will".
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:14 pm
Current books/bestsellers
And if you're a mystery fan, P.D. James is always a very good bet.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 04:41 pm
Thank you all. Some very good suggestions here. I'd like to hear more!!

Tomorrow, I'm going to get "For Laci," written by the mother of Laci Peterson, Sharon Rocha. I've heard raves about it.

Of course, it's a tragic story, but I always think it's such a testament to the human spirit how people can survive such things and conduct themselves with such courage.

I think Sharon Rocha is a brave and admirable woman. I'll let you know what the book is like once I've read it.

On a lighter note, I've been hearing about a book called "The Driveway Diaries" (by Tim Brookes). It's the story of a guy who decides to buy a "fixer-upper" in a beautiful, rustic area of Vermont. It's about his trials and tribulations trying to make his new home livable. You might say, it's also a testament to the human spirit, but in a more lighthearted way!

There is also a book called, "Bold Spirit: Helga Estby's Forgotten Walk Across Victorian America." In the early 1900's, a woman named Helga Estby literally walked across America from one side of the country to the other (along with her daughter, I believe). It's an interesting account of the people and things she encountered on her travels.
0 Replies

Relay

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 01:08 pm
Re: Current Books/Bestsellers
Stray Cat wrote:
Are there any bestsellers, or anything that's current but not necessarily a bestseller, that you've read recently that you would recommend?

After my months working in a second hand shop and handling hundreds of books. My point is that the bestsellers often are the ones who dont will be classics. The bestsellers are often very light stuff people like to read and then throw away. Many of these titles are hard to sell beacuse nobody want them. I got alot of Sydney Sheldon on the shelfs but the customers never buy them even if they are very very cheap in this second hand shop.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
Yes, every now and then there is a "best seller" that will come along that's really good. But many of them just aren't. That's why I put "current" in the title of this thread along with "best seller." There are often books around that may not be on the best seller list, but they are really good reading -- sometimes much better than anything on the "best seller" list.
0 Replies