FINALLY, WE KNOW HOW BUMBLEBEE BOOGIE DOES IT!!!

Diane

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:29 pm
I'm impressed, BBB.

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060110_bee_fight.html

Scientists Finally Figure Out How Bees FlyBy Sara GoudarziSpecial to LiveScienceposted: 09 January 20057:00 am ET

Proponents of intelligent design, which holds that a supreme being rather than evolution is responsible for life's complexities, have long criticized science for not being able to explain some natural phenomena, such as how bees fly. Now scientists have put this perplexing mystery to rest. Using a combination of high-speed digital photography and a robotic model of a bee wing, the researchers figured out the flight mechanisms of honeybees. "For many years, people tried to understand animal flight using the aerodynamics of airplanes and helicopters," said Douglas Altshuler, a researcher at California Institute of Technology. "In the last 10 years, flight biologists have gained a remarkable amount of understanding by shifting to experiments with robots that are capable of flapping wings with the same freedom as the animals." Exotic flight The scientists analyzed pictures from hours of filming bees and mimicked the movements using robots with sensors for measuring forces. Still frames from the bee movie.Credit: Douglas Altshuler and Jason Vance A movie of a bee in flight, filmed at 6,000 frames per second by Douglas Altshuler and Jason Vance, is here [the link is temporary]. See Also: Flight of the Fly
Turns out bee flight mechanisms are more exotic than thought. "The honeybees have a rapid wing beat," Altshuler told LiveScience. "In contrast to the fruit fly that has one eightieth the body size and flaps its wings 200 times each second, the much larger honeybee flaps its wings 230 times every second." This was a surprise because as insects get smaller, their aerodynamic performance decreases and to compensate, they tend to flap their wings faster. "And this was just for hovering," Altshuler said of the bees. "They also have to transfer pollen and nectar and carry large loads, sometimes as much as their body mass, for the rest of the colony."Try this! In order to understand how bees carry such heavy cargo, the researchers forced the bees to fly in a small chamber filled with a mixture of oxygen and helium that is less dense than regular air. This required the bees to work harder to stay aloft and gave the scientists a chance to observe their compensation mechanisms for the additional toil.The bees made up for the extra work by stretching out their wing stroke amplitude but did not adjust wingbeat frequency."They work like racing cars," Altshuler said. "Racing cars can reach higher revolutions per minute but enable the driver to go faster in higher gear. But like honeybees, they are inefficient."The work, supervised by Caltech's Michael Dickinson, was reported last month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.The scientists said the findings could lead to a model for designing aircraft that could hover in place and carry loads for many purposes such as diaster surveillance after earthquakes and tsunamis. They are also pleased that a simple thing like bee flight can no longer be used as an example of science failing to explain a common phenomenon. Proponents of intelligent design, or ID, have tried in recent years to promote the idea of a supreme being by discounting science because it can't explain everything in nature. "People in the ID community have said that we don't even know how bees fly," Altshuler said. "We were finally able to put this one to rest. We do have the tools to understand bee flight and we can use science to understand the world around us."ยท
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,213 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Diane

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:30 pm
Pretty fancy wing work.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:35 pm
Where the bee sucks there suck I.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:36 pm
How many flaps does she get up to when she boogies, I wonder?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:39 pm
Ace that Sister Diane.I haven't laughed as much for at least 25 minutes.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:42 pm
His Honour,The Lord Of Droitwich Manor wrote-

Quote:
How many flaps does she get up to when she boogies, I wonder?

I've no idea but I'll wager good money it was enough to drop you in it more than once.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:50 pm
Spendius, I think BBB might like the thought of you sucking where the bee sucks. The only problem I can think of is how you would be able to keep up with her.

Lord E, let's hope BBB comes along and tells us how many flaps she gets up to, or in, or if it depends on Spendius.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:55 pm
Spendius, I think BBB might like the thought of you sucking where the bee sucks. The only problem I can think of is how you would be able to keep up with her.

Lord E, let's hope BBB comes along and tells us how many flaps she gets up to, or in, or if it depends on Spendius.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:56 pm
Well, there I was, flapping around more than once. It takes me time to get up to speed.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
Can BBB flap in E sharp minor.I have had a few rather refined tutoresses.I like the ineffable mystery of that key.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:13 am
What a crappy article, it doesn't even say what they found.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:39 pm
Stuh, if you read the article, it tells how bees can fly---look in the second paragraph for a good description.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
A variety of Bumble Bees
A variety of Bumble Bees

http://www.gardensafari.net/english/bumblebees.htm
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:25 am
Bumblebee Economics
This is one of my all time favorite books.---BBB

Bumblebee Economics
by Bernd Heinrich

Book Description

In his new preface Bernd Heinrich ranges from Maine to Alaska and north to the Arctic as he summarizes findings from continuing investigations over the past twenty-five years by him and others into the wondrous energy economy of bumblebees.

Reviews of the previous edition: This is a remarkable and rewarding book, complementary to, yet in some respects going far beyond, its predecessors. It is highly recommended.

Caryl P. Haskins, New York Times Book Review: Extraordinary the implications of work such as Heinrich's seem to me more resonant than the promise of a rich harvest of new research.

Fred Hapgood, Harper's Magazine: A magnificent book that combines the best of both writing and science.

Matthew M. Douglas, Quarterly Review of Biology: Heinrich has performed a masterful job of sharing his personal research efforts and those of others in his field. He has written an extremely interesting book and in the process has shown how one kind of organism can be used as a model to investigate behavior, physiology, ecology and evolution. Bumblebee Economics should serve as a model for good scientific writing.

About the Author

Bernd Heinrich is Professor of Biology at the University of Vermont. He has written several memoirs of his life in science and nature, including One Man's Owl, and Ravens in Winter. Bumblebee Economics was twice a nominee for the American Book Award in Science, and A Year in the Maine Woods won the 1995 Rutstrum Authors' Award for Literary Excellence.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
Are you a Libertarian Bee or Cooperative Honey Bee?
Obviously, I'm am of the Honey Bee persuasion rather than the Ayn Rand Orchard Mason Bees. But mess with me or do harm and I can obtain a bit of the Africanized Honey Bee character.---BBB

Which kinds of Bees, and their traits, are most useful to agriculture? Which bees best safeguard the planet's plant life on which all land-based life depends?

THE FOLLOWING ORCHARD MASON BEES COULD BE DESCRIBED AS FAVORING THE AYN RAND LIBERTARIAN PHILOSPHY OF LOOKING OUT ONLY FOR THEMSELVES, NOT THE COMMON GOOD:

Orchard Mason Bees - Osmia Lignaria - are native to the contiguous United States and into Canada. They usually can be found near wooded or brushy areas in the early spring. There are two subspecies of Osmia Lignaria in the United States, Osmia lignaria lignaria and Osmia lignaria prorinqua. Osmia lignaria lignaria live in the more humid areas (above 60% annual humidity) while Osmia lignaria prorinqua live west of about the 100th parallel in the arid portions of the USA.

Their common name is the Blue Orchard Bee due to the blue cast on their blackish colored bodies. Because of the humidity requirements of the two subspecies they cannot be moved far outside of their natural ranges. If they are, they disperse from where they emerged to try and find the right nesting habitat and they won't re-nest in your nests.

Blue Orchard Bees nest at the same time as the Hornedfaced Bee (Osmia cornifrons), sharing the same niche in the ecology. However, studies show that Osmia lignaria prorinqua only place 4-7 young in each nest as compared to the Hornedfaced Bee placing 8 on average. Blue Orchard Bees are a mason bee that use existing holes to nest in. They sting only for self preservation - they do not attack. If disturbed they will hide in the nests or fly away.

Blue Orchard Bees are larger than Hornedfaced bees and will nest in a hole diameter as small as 5/16th of an inch without changing the sex ratio of the offspring. This is the same size as the largest sized hole that Hornedfaced bees will use without changing the sex ratio. Smaller holes may be nested in, but there will be more males produced in them. Females are an average of twice as large as the males. However, two males are normally produced for every female.

The Orchard Mason Bee is the common name of a nonsocial native bee that pollinates our spring fruit trees, flowers and vegetables. This gentle, blue-black metallic bee does not live in hives. In nature it nests within hollow stems, woodpecker drillings and insect holes found in trees or wood. Sometimes there may be dense collections of individual nest holes, but these bees neither connect or share nests, nor help provision or protect each others' young. Also, they are active for only a short period of the year. They are not aggressive and one may observe them at very close range without fear of being stung, which makes them excellent for enhancing our yards and gardens. They add beauty, activity and pollination to our plantings. However, they do not produce honey.

THE FOLLOWING HONEY BEES COULD BE DESCRIBED AS SOCIAL BEES WHO COOPERATE FOR THE COMMON GOOD OF THE HIVE:

Honey Bee Biology: Honey bees, like ants, termites and some wasps, are social insects. Unlike ants and wasps, bees are vegetarians; their protein comes from pollen and their carbohydrate comes from honey which they make from nectar. Social insects live together in groups, cooperate in foraging tasks and the care of young, and have different types, or "castes," of individuals. There are three castes of honey bees:

Workers - Reproductively underdeveloped females that do all the work of the colony. A colony may have 2,000 to 60,000 workers.

Queen - A fully fertile female specialized for producing eggs. When a queen dies or is lost, workers select a few young worker larvae and feed them a special food called "royal jelly." These special larvae develop into queens. Therefore, the only difference between workers and queens is the quality of the larval diet. There is usually only one queen per colony. The queen also affects the colony by producing chemicals called "pheromones" that regulate the behavior of other bees.

Drones - Male bees. A colony may have 0 to 500 drones during spring and summer. Drones fly from the hive and mate in the air with queens from other colonies.

The queen lays all her eggs in hexagonal beeswax cells built by workers. Developing young honey bees (called "brood") go through four stages: the egg, the larva (plural "larvae"), the inactive pupa (plural "pupae") and the young adult. The castes have different development times.

Newly emerged workers begin working almost immediately. As they age, workers do the following tasks in this sequence: clean cells, circulate air with their wings, feed larvae, practice flying, receive pollen and nectar from foragers, guard hive entrance and forage.

Unlike colonies of social wasps and bumble bees, honey bee colonies live year after year. Therefore, most activity in a bee colony is aimed at surviving the next winter.

During winter, bees cluster in a tight ball. In January, the queen starts laying eggs in the center of the nest. Because stored honey and pollen are used to feed these larvae, colony stores may fall dangerously low in late winter when brood production has started but plants are not yet producing nectar or pollen. When spring "nectar flows" begin, bee populations grow rapidly. By April and May, many colonies are crowded with bees, and these congested colonies may split and form new colonies by a process called "swarming." A crowded colony rears several daughter queens, then the original mother queen flies away from the colony, accompanied by up to 60 percent of the workers. These bees cluster on some object such as a tree branch while scout bees search for a more permanent nest site - usually a hollow tree or wall void. Within 24 hours the swarm relocates to the new nest. One of the daughter queens that was left behind inherits the original colony.

After the swarming season, bees concentrate on storing honey and pollen for winter. By late summer, a colony has a core of brood below insulating layers of honey, pollen and a honey-pollen mix. In autumn, bees concentrate in the lower half of their nest, and during winter they move upward slowly to eat the honey and pollen.

During winter, bees cluster in a tight ball. In January, the queen starts laying eggs in the center of the nest. Because stored honey and pollen are used to feed these larvae, colony stores may fall dangerously low in late winter when brood production has started but plants are not yet producing nectar or pollen. When spring "nectar flows" begin, bee populations grow rapidly. By April and May, many colonies are crowded with bees, and these congested colonies may split and form new colonies by a process called "swarming." A crowded colony rears several daughter queens, then the original mother queen flies away from the colony, accompanied by up to 60 percent of the workers. These bees cluster on some object such as a tree branch while scout bees search for a more permanent nest site - usually a hollow tree or wall void. Within 24 hours the swarm relocates to the new nest. One of the daughter queens that was left behind inherits the original colony.

After the swarming season, bees concentrate on storing honey and pollen for winter. By late summer, a colony has a core of brood below insulating layers of honey, pollen and a honey-pollen mix. In autumn, bees concentrate in the lower half of their nest, and during winter they move upward slowly to eat the honey and pollen.

RACES OF HONEY BEES:

Honey bees are Old World insects that were introduced into North and South America by European settlers. The most well-known races of honey bees in the New World are:

Italian bees, Apis mellifera ligustica - Originally from Italy, this is by far the most popular honey bee. Italian bees are yellow in color, relatively gentle, overwinter well and build up quickly in spring. They are easily provoked to rob weaker neighboring colonies and sometimes exhaust honey stores rapidly in winter.

Carniolan bees, Apis mellifera carnica - These bees originated in the Austrian Alps, northern Yugoslavia and the Danube valley. Gray/brown in color, they are extremely gentle, conserve winter food stores well and build up quickly in spring. Carniolan bees construct new comb slowly and swarm frequently.

Caucasian bees, Apis mellifera caucasica - These bees originated in the Caucasus mountains between the Black and Caspian Seas. They are lead-gray in color, very gentle and swarm infrequently. Caucasian bees overwinter poorly, build up slowly in spring, are susceptible to Nosema disease and gum up their hives with propolis (tree resins and beeswax).

German black bees, Apis mellifera mellifera - Originally from throughout northern Europe, this was the first honey bee brought to the New World. They are brown/black in color and overwinter well. German black bees are nervous, aggressive and build up slowly in spring.

Africanized honey bee, Apis mellifera scutellata and its hybrids - These honey bees originated throughout east Africa. In the 1950s, this race was imported to Brazil and began migrating northward. Compared to European races, this bee and its hybrids are extremely defensive, have smaller nests and swarm more frequently. Africanized honey bees will probably colonize certain regions of the United States in the 1990s.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:31 am
FINALLY, WE KNOW HOW BUMBLEBEE BOOGIE DOES IT!!!

I'll bet she does it just like everyone else does it . . . subject, of course, to various Kama Sutra variations . . .

(That's old news about how the bumble bee warms up her wings in the morning--i saw it on television many moons ago.)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:42 am
BBB beats I.D.
Bees are among the most amazing life forms on the planet. We can learn a lot about human social interaction by studying the different types of bees.

"Proponents of intelligent design, or ID, have tried in recent years to promote the idea of a supreme being by discounting science because it can't explain everything in nature."

"People in the ID community have said that we don't even know how bees fly," Altshuler said. "We were finally able to put this one to rest. We do have the tools to understand bee flight and we can use science to understand the world around us."

I know bees dance in code to send messages to other members of their hive. And I knew BumbleBees could boogie, but I never imagined they were powerful enough to cripple the Intelligent Design Movement.

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/050527_bee_dance.html

Boogie on, evolutionists! But watch out for the Nun Gone Bad!

BBB
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:27 pm
Um, BBB, Spendius has been waiting since yesterday to hear if you can flap in E Sharp Major. While answering his question, you might educate Setanta as to how boring Kama Sutra is, compared to the swinging, always creative, wildly enthusiastic Bumblebees.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 12:09 am
Bumble Boogie - the music
Freddie Martin's Bumble Boogie - the music:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:7j5DcLP9HOcJ:www.wadepreston.com/bumble.htm+Freddy+Martin%27s+Bumble+Boogie&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 08:29 am
Diane wrote-

Quote:
you might educate Setanta as to how boring Kama Sutra is,

The KS is a male chauvinist operator's manual for beginners.
0 Replies