Hope this helps.
0 Replies

cazdaisy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:33 am
Thanks for the help much appreciated
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 01:52 pm
I STILL can't get a copy of the Holiday Collection and it's been out over a month. My newsagent just doesn't have a record of it being distributed. Neither do 2 other shops I"ve tried that stock all the Lovatts books.
I emailed Lovatts last night so hopefuly they'll sell me a copy via post or something.

Just one question, when is the closing date for the comps on that book?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
Hi Julksy

Holiday Crossword No.55 still on shelves in Adelaide. Closing date for competions is 16 February, 2006.

I'm sure Lovatts will help you out with a copy if you contacted them, they are usually very helpful.

Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:56 pm
I hope so Dutchy, coz I've just finished the Colossus cryptic and I want another one to play with....hehe.

But only one that I can post in....funny how I don't often do the other cryptics, just the ones I can post. ( I think I have a contest addiction...*laughs*)

While I was at the Lovatts site last night I bought her 'How to do Crypic hints' book....and a pack of those erasable pens....both are gonna do me good I think.....*nods*
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:32 pm
Hi Julksy,

Sorry to hear you've had trouble getting hold of the Holiday Collection. Hope Lovatts are able to send one to you!

The 'How To Do Cryptics' hints book sounds good- could you let us know how you go with it and if you find it very helpful? Might be a really good investment in the future!

Julksy, if you get stuck on any of the clues once you do manage to get hold of your 'Collection' book, don't panic over the shorter deadline time- just post here, and I'll gladly help you. :wink:

Take care.
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:19 pm
Holiday Collection in Melbourne
Julksy

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you - very far from the city? (I'm in Fitzroy)

As of yesterday (Wed) McGills in Elizabeth St had at least one copy of Holiday Collection left.

It's a shame what they've done with their puzzle books - relegated them to the end of the magazine racks, bunched up, even with the UK 'Puzzler' mags and kid's mags etc. Other newsagents have them all facing forward on their main racks - as they should be!

I buy Lovatts titles from McGills because of their Rewards Program. Every time you spend $100 you get a $10 credit. I've had the $10 at least 7-8 times since they've been doing it.
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
Thanks Butterfly......I think Im about ready to beg for help..I've got such a brain ache.....*L*

Shekeda...Yeah....I'm a fair way out from the city.....Down in Frankston....I love Lovatts....but I don't think I love them quite enough to drive for over an hour there and back to get a book......*laughs*

Butterfly....Actually....I'm a bit disappointed in the book.....$14 something from memory...It has 50 small cryptics in it with the 'crack the code' hints in the back.....A bit disappointing because I was thinking it would be an instruction manual into Christine's mind.....I just want the easy way out don't I?

The erasable pens are pretty cool though....But they do leave a shadow visable after you erase.

I ended up getting a phonecall from a very lovely lady at Lovatts re: the Holiday Collection.....They are going to make sure my local Newsagent doesn't miss that one anymore and they send me a copy of it for free.

I am SO going to make a payment on my creditcard this week so I can subscribe to the thingy that gets me the Colossus, Big and Collection.

IS anyone else besides me thinking of getting a second job to support their crossword habit?.....hehe
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:24 pm
Hi Julksy,

julksy wrote:

Quote:
Butterfly....Actually....I'm a bit disappointed in the book.....$14 something from memory...It has 50 small cryptics in it with the 'crack the code' hints in the back.....A bit disappointing because I was thinking it would be an instruction manual into Christine's mind.....

Thank you for letting us know what you thought of the 'hints' book Julksy, much appreciated.

Glad you've got your Holiday Collection at last Very Happy
Post if you need help with anything.

Have a good afternoon.
Talk to you soon.
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:40 am
Hi Julksy

Some years ago Christine Lovatt wrote a small (42 pages) booklet titled "How to do Cryptic Crosswords". A step-by-step guide to cracking cryptic crosswords. It came as a gift with one of her magazines.

I have found it very helpful and often refer to it. You can copy my booklet but how do I get it to you? Perhaps, better still, you could contact Lovatts and ascertain whether they have any copies left, and who knows they may send you one.

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

ftlocks

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 10:22 pm
Has anyone done colossus 102 stinker?
Having trouble with one clue
159a Fertility deity. Letters ?aal

By the way, I was given a cryptic book for Xmas.
It's called "Cryptic Crossword CLuefinder" A dictionary of crossword clues
by JA Coleman.

Have used it a couple of times since. It's laid out like
a crossword dictionary.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:19 pm
ftlocks wrote:
Has anyone done colossus 102 stinker?
Having trouble with one clue
159a Fertility deity. Letters ?aal

By the way, I was given a cryptic book for Xmas.
It's called "Cryptic Crossword CLuefinder" A dictionary of crossword clues
by JA Coleman.

Have used it a couple of times since. It's laid out like
a crossword dictionary.
Hi ftlocks!

BAAL is the fertility deity you seek.
0 Replies

ftlocks

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 01:37 am
Hi lezzles
Thanks so much for that
I can now send this lot off
0 Replies

conorbear

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:38 am
Lovatts Holiday crossword collection No 55, help required!
Hi, I am a brand new user and lurvvvvve the lovatts books. Need help with the Stinker, 49 ac, Ink-Drying agent, .... oil.

The letters I have are T?NG

any help gratefully accepted or if anyone needs a hand with theirs, I am happy to help Smile
0 Replies

conorbear

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:40 am
'tis ok, answered my own question!
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:52 am
Hi Conorbear,

Welcome to A2K, it's nice to meet you!

"tung oil" was the answer you were seeking.

Post any time you need assistance and we'll do our best to help you.
Hope to talk to you again soon.
Regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

conorbear

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:56 am
thanks butterfly!

i have just finished the stinker. I must admit I love lovatts difficult crosswords. Have u had any success with lovatts?

I have had quite a bit over the years and just recently received cheques totalling $130 from Colossus no 100!
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:10 am
Hi Conorbear,

DT?

Congratulations on your wins- a just reward for all of your hard work!

I too, have had success over the years in Lovatts competitions- a nice bonus when it's something you love doing!

Post anytime you need assistance- there are many Lovatts fans on A2K, and we all do our best to help each other whenever possible.

Looking forward to talking to you again soon Conorbear.
Regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies