Barcelona and Sitges Info needed..Spain

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:44 am
Besides Montserrat any other place worth visiting ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,373 • Replies: 10
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:45 pm
I was in Barcelona last September,in fact my first trip to Spain.Here's a few places I enjoyed.

1. La Sagrada Familia. From the outside,the still work-in-progress of this zany basilica is a joy.Inside,it's still a building site,but there is a small mueseum including material on Gaudi's life and work.

2. La Rambla. Flanked by narrow trafic lanes and plane trees,the middle of La Rambla is a broad pedestrian boulevard,crowded every day untill the wee small hours.Dotted with cafes,restaurants,kiosks and newsstands,and enlivened by the buskers,pavement artists,mimes and living statues,there's rarely a dull moment.

3. The cross-harbour cable car. Sweep right across the water from the foot of Barcelonete to the top of Montjuic with a stop in the middle.The views are stunning.

4. The beach front. Stroll,at your leisure along the recently transformed waterfront.

5. Parc de la Ciutadella. A large park,of which there are many dotted around the city,which also houses the Zoo.A nice place to sit under the shade of a tree and watch the world go by.This is where I read the latest Harry Potter,cover to cover.

Not one of my favorite cities of the world,but I'm sure I'll return one day.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 02:38 am
The first three by Barry, plus:

Parc Güell
Houses by Gaudí, specially along the Diagonal St.
The Gothic City & the Cathedral
Montjuic

Seafood at The 7 Portas Restaurant
Butifarra at La Repanocha
Tapas in cafés and bars at the old city
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
Hey thanks for the tips ! Anything mystical ?
0 Replies

The Pen is

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 01:51 pm
Sitges is the Gay Capital of the Med. Is that relevant to you? No stern untoned.

Pretty little town, very overpopulated in summer.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 08:53 am
There's a book by Rainer Zerbst - Antoni Gaudi - The Complete Buildings, which might be good to look through if you're interested in the architecture/art.

Go to the Old Town for mystical....

If you head down La Rambla - towards the statue of Columbus
down by the docks, somewhere 3/4 of the way down on the left side (sorry, I've lost my rough guide) there's a pub that's very mystical - infact, it has gnarly trees growing inside it and a very friendly atmospere if my memory serves me well.
Ask around.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:29 am
Hello thanks all from above they were great locations:I even got my photographs into the Museum of Contempory Art ;Barcelona; Got a room with a balcony overlooking the Ramblas with the living sculptures below. Sitges was fun but is indeed the Gay Capital later on in the season now it is more or less mixed company of all ages sharing the place harmoniously.

Now I am in
Merrakesh heading to the beach town west.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:31 am
Oh yes we saw Montserrat after a huge snow storm closing the roads.We saw the ancient peaks with bursts of sun light streaming through the clouds;
0 Replies

The Pen is

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:21 am
How is it in Morocco? They say it's the Hassle Capital of the world.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:36 am
Hi Pen,no the place has certainly cooled it´s jets regarding the full time hassle non stop.It´s stillthere but only partially...actually they are a bit afraid of someone or something.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:45 pm
The dreamy world of Essaouira where Jimi Hendrix and others found their musical souls unraveling still remains magical.
0 Replies