humor

JPB

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:04 pm
I thought of putting this on the philosophy board or the humor board, but I don't think it quite fits either of those, so I'm dumping it here.

I've been reading different threads and the idea of humor keeps popping up. Farmerman commented about humor being pain turned inward on one thread, CoastalRat commented about some finding humor in poking 'fun' at beliefs or groups. The first seems to be laughing at oneself, the other laughing at others. I sometimes read the humor board and wonder what's so funny. I'm begining to think I'm humorless.

I burst out occasionally from some of LordE's posts or a well hidden pun or inuendo, but I rarely find much funny.

So, my question is, what's funny to you and what's not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,407 • Replies: 31
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:11 pm
Oh man!

I don't know if I could possibly quantify it. I have a weird sense of humor, though it tends to go more towards thinking something is funny that nobody else does than the other way around. (One of my best friends became my friend after he started laughing at an aside from me -- I sometimes think things I can't quite keep in but I never expect anyone to "get" them/ laugh at them because people so often DON'T. He did.)

But whatever I do find funny doesn't seem to fall in any particular category -- I am more readily offended at humor that insults someone than any other kind, but even then I often think "inappropriate" things are funny. (Though if it's said to a person who is hurt, any humor is quickly squelched.)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:48 pm
I find many things funny....here are some...

1. Astute observations on everyday life, presented in a humorous way.
Billy Connolly is a classic example.

2. Someone who can tell a good story, or be informative, in such a way that you can't help laughing.

Story telling....Gus, Kicky, Gargamel to name three that spring to mind.

Informative.....Farmerman, Set and Asherman.

3. Just plain off the wall, lateral thinking style of humour.

A2K.....Sturgis, Crazy Diamond, Bella, shewolf, Chai....there are so many here.
Famous ones.......John Cleese, Spike Milligan, Tommy Cooper, Ronnie Barker, Robin Williams, Steve Martin, Groucho Marx, Emo Phillips and many more.

4. Short and sweet bullets, that really make you laugh but occasionally think at the same time.
Noddy, Prince, Roger etc.

I just love everyone, really.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:18 pm
I grew up watching the Three Stooges and Lucille Ball. She was funny, they weren't, but my brother wouldn't miss an episode because he thought they were hysterical. I saw all the eye-ball pokes and head bashing of the Stooges as physical attacks, but the situations that Lucy got into were very funny.

I think I get over sensitive when someone is the object of the joke. I probably get more upset about it than they do, which is ridiculous. Too PC, I guess.

Soz, I know what you mean about connecting with people who understand a different sense of humor.

And Elpus, I agree with many on your list and how they are funny, but you forgot to include yourself.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:44 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

http://www.discussanything.com/forums/images/smilies/23.gif I knew it...finally coming out of the closet.

Okay, about the whole closet thing, I must say I'm sorry for locking you in there, and I really did think you had enough peanut butter to last you, and I'm sorry, I didn't remember the waterhttp://www.discussanything.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif My bad.

I'm sure human feces doesn't taste that bad anyway, right?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:22 am
I've definitely gotten more upset than people who were the target before.

I thought of this thread when I read the following. It just doesn't seem like it should be funny but I was giggling out loud every time I thought of it for the next half hour or so after I read it. I can't say why, exactly, I just was.

CONSTABULARY NOTES FROM ALL OVER [i]From the Lewisboro (N.Y.) Ledger.[/i] A Flintlock Ridge Road man said he saw a bear in his backyard. Police could not find a bear when the officer arrived. Police said it was possible the man saw two turtles.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
Funny is what ever makes me laugh. I find the more I laugh out loud, no matter what the circumstances, the easier it is to laugh.

I think people take things to seriously and don't laugh often enough.

Example: Last summer I went on a bike ride and my companion and I stopped at a new restaurant for a late sunday breakfast.

It was busy so the host told us it would be around a 20 minute wait. We waited 30 minutes before the host realized there was a table open the whole time.

We were seated and waited another 15 minutes before we could flag down somebody to bring us some water and menus. We waited another 15 minutes before they came back to take our order and another 35-45 minutes before they brought us our order.

Now we could have gotten mad and stormed out or yelled at the waiter or complained under our breath like some of the other tables nearby, but what is the point. I found the disorganization and utter lack of service rather funny. It was so far beyond bad the only thing I could do was laugh at the situation.

I was there with good company on a glorious morning with nothig else to do. Why not find the humor in the situation? I think humor is what you make it out to be and I was not going to let bad service at a restaraunt ruin an absolutely beautiful day. Instead I laugh... i find it much more pleasing than gettig angry or stressed out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

And when your better half finds that out, it'll be the end of ya, Lordofthecarelessremark . . .
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:07 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
I think people take things to seriously and don't laugh often enough.

Agreed. Folks would live longer and be happier if they did.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:52 pm
Sometimes I think it is a sickness, especially when I am involved in something very serious and I crack up when I think of a good jokey line to respond to a serious question. I know somewhere I am perfectly capable of being serious and proper like everyone else. I do have will-power, I just don't use it.

.... from my profile ...
I enjoy humor (or humour) and see this as an exceptional part of a human being, the ability to be able to laugh at ourselves and life in general. Someone once said that depressed people are the only ones who see life as it truly is. Well, if the rest of us, who use humor to make life bearable, are deluding ourselves, I am going to carry-on doing so. I don't care to live in a world of misery and, even if it may be considered inappropriate by one or two others, I will continue to inject humor where I wish to do so. Pffft!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:02 pm
My humor is (as Lordy so eloquently put it...thank you dahling...!) off the wall. I have a rather "dry" sense of humor. I say what others are thinking and that's the funny part. And I am not afraid to use the words poop, pron, boobies, doodie and fart. Which interjected into any sentence can make it funny.

I enjoy humor of all different kinds. But I guess since my style is off the wall, I do enjoy the off the wall and bizarre.

My favorite though is observational humor. Poking fun at stereotypes. Chris Rock is a perfect example. At first, you think "what an angry little black man!" but then you realize he's making fun of the stereotypes of white people and black people, not actually making fun of white or black people.

I also love slapstick. Leslie Neilson always makes me laugh. "Surely you must be joking." "No, I'm not. And don't call me Shirley." HA!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:37 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I am not afraid to use the words poop, pron, boobies, doodie and fart.

Pron is one of the funniest words I know Bella.

See? I think much humor is based on laughing at mistakes, faux pas, mishaps and other things that would normally be called an error.

Humor breaks tension. Kinda like if a little kid knocks over a glass of milk and looks at you like you might be mad. He's stressed. If when you reach over to get a napkin you accidently on purpose knock over your milk too, both of you are going to laugh.

It's showing the other person it's ok to be human, to have foibles. None of us are going to get out of this alive. So we might as well have fun along the way.

There are few things beyond a health crisis of a loved one that I can't laugh at. Even then, when the crisis is passed, there might be a laugh down the road.

I can be a complete bumbling mess sometimes. I have no mechanical ability, and sometimes things that others are able to do daily are beyond my comprehension. I think my brain sees the world differently sometimes, as far as physical connections. I once burst into tears because I couldn't figure out how a key worked in a lock. I kept unlocking it, then, I go ahead and relock it, then try to open the door.

Sitting here typing this, I laughed out loud at how ridiculous that is.

My initial reaction when I realize someone maybe got offended at something funny I said is "HUH? WHY? C'mon laugh with me." Then I start to worry about making them upset, and try to act all serious, but it doesn't last.

PC - yes I suppose there's a time and place. However, if you're gonna walk around this world worrying about how something is going to upset someone somewheres, you might as well stay in bed.

I can remember times in my life that I regret taking something too seriously.

I can't remember ever regretting cheering someone up by making them laugh.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:07 pm
Heeven wrote:

the rest of us, who use humor to make life bearable, are deluding ourselves....

This was probably written by a humourless b*stard who, try as he might, just doesn't "get it".

By putting down people with a sense of humour, he may have made himself feel a little better for a short while. Doubtful though, as he more than likely felt thoroughly miserable again, the moment he put down his pen.

Great to see you around again, Heev old girl. Where have you been, me little darlin' ?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:58 pm
I'm one of those people who tend to crack jokes in ultra-serious situations. People look at me like I've lost my mind, "to be joking at a time like this."

I can't help myself. It must be my way of coping. Makes some people very angry, though.
0 Replies

Demonique

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:14 pm
Apparently i have a dry sense of humour ? Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:18 pm
Eva wrote:
I'm one of those people who tend to crack jokes in ultra-serious situations. People look at me like I've lost my mind, "to be joking at a time like this."

I can't help myself. It must be my way of coping. Makes some people very angry, though.

I hear you, Eva. I can't stand it when I've got to explain a joke, or that others don't even realize that you've made one.

One needs to wear a big "JOKE" sign around one's neck sometimes it seems.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:20 pm
Oh, they know I'm joking, Reyn. Apparently they think some times & places are not appropriate for humor.

I need a sign that says, "LAUGHING HELPS!"
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:01 pm
I need a sign that says, "GOOD THING YOU'RE LOOKING AT THIS SIGN AND NOT MY HUGE ERECTION..."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:18 pm
sozobe wrote:
I've definitely gotten more upset than people who were the target before.

I thought of this thread when I read the following. It just doesn't seem like it should be funny but I was giggling out loud every time I thought of it for the next half hour or so after I read it. I can't say why, exactly, I just was.

CONSTABULARY NOTES FROM ALL OVER [i]From the Lewisboro (N.Y.) Ledger.[/i] A Flintlock Ridge Road man said he saw a bear in his backyard. Police could not find a bear when the officer arrived. Police said it was possible the man saw two turtles.

I have no idea why, but I burst out laughing when I read this. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:22 pm
See?!

:-D
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » humor
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 02:00:58