High Tech Remotes

arclyte

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:32 pm
Hi,

My g/f is kind of a tech geek and I'd like to get her a snazzy remote to control her home theatre setup. She's got a plasma tv, vcr, dvd player, and tv which is plugged into a dolby surround system.

Does anyone have any opinions on what the best remote out there is? I've looked at a few of them and they all have so many features it's making my head spin. Here's a few I really like, if anyone has used them I'd love to get your opinion on it:

Logitech Harmony SST 668
http://fun-electronics.com/index.php?product=31548

Sony RMAV 2100
http://fun-electronics.com/index.php?product=41526
seems a bit big, but i like the touch screen...

Philips Pronto TSU7000
http://fun-electronics.com/index.php?product=34977
is this really an $800 tv remote? will it make me popcorn while i'm watching movies? or descramble satellite codes and pay-per-view codes?

Philips Pronto TSU3000
http://fun-electronics.com/index.php?product=34973
this is a little better priced, and i like the PDA look to it, but it might be overkill... of course, maybe it's worth the extra dough cuz it looks more impressive Smile

right now we have about four or five remote controls. i'm lucky if i can keep track of my keys, never mind four or five remotes! i'd love to be able to consolidate them all into one remote, and these are pretty snazzy looking remotes, but is it really worth it to buy an $800 remote? we do have x10 light dimmer switches, so maybe we could use a remote that would be able to do lighting scenes or whatnot... anyway, thanks for any guidance you can give...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 4
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:24 pm
World's Smallest Universal Remote
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:23 pm
I have the Sony RM-AV3000 which adds a few bells and whistles to the RM-AV2000 you mentioned. It works great, controls up to 16 devices and allows you to setup programmed sequences (so for example, you can have it turn on your DVD player, turn teh receiver on, switch the receiver to the DVD input, setup your surround sound, turn on the TV and switch it to "VIDEO2" with a single keystroke). I've had it for almost 2 years now and have had ZERO problems with it. It looks bigger than it actually is. It's roughly twice the width of most of my other remotes but the same length/thickness.

The only thing I DON'T like about the Sony's is that you have to program everything directly on the device. The Pronto has a hook-up that allows you to connect it to your PC, setup all the codes/commends on the PC and then download them to teh remote. That's a fabulous feature. I wish Sony would implement it on their remotes. That's one of the reasons the Pronto remotes cost so much. You can litterally custom program them to control any device. If you are doing a complete home automation setup you can use it to controol your lights, the garage door or the coffee pot. Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:28 pm
High tech remotes
If she's a tech geek, she'll probably want to pick out the remote herself. Can you give her a gift certificate, or go with her to choose? I know these options don't sound very romantic, but gambling on her preferences may wind up not being very romantic either, should she have definite specifications, that don't happen to include your particular choice.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:24 pm
The Pronto 7000 gets my vote every time :wink:
0 Replies