Couple Sells Candles That Smell Like Jesus

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:39 pm
The obvious question: How the heck do these people know for sure what Jesus smelled like? Rolling Eyes

Couple Sells Candles That Smell Like Jesus
Product Flying Off Shelves

A South Dakota couple makes and markets candles they say smell like Jesus.

You can find candles with just about every fragrance imaginable, from blueberry to ocean mist to hot apple pie.

Now there's a candle that lets you experience the scent of Jesus, and they've been selling out by the case.

"We see it as a ministry, " says Bob Tosterud, who together with his wife came up with the idea for the candle.

Light up the candle called "His Essence" and its makers say you'll experience the fragrance of Christ.

Bob Tosterud and wife Karen say the formula is all spelled out in Psalm 45.

"It's a Messianic Psalm referring to when Christ returns and his garments will have the scent of myrrh, aloe and cassia," says Karen Tosterud.

Wondering what that must smell like, Karen Tosterud ordered those oils, a combination that produces sort of a flowery, cinnamon aroma. Then she called on a friend who just happened to be a candle-maker.

"And in October, we got our first batch of 768 candles. We had no idea how it would go," Karen Tosterud says.

But once word got out they went through 10,000 candles.

"It's the only one on the market and everyone tells us it's very unique and nothing like it," says Karen Tosterud.

"We wanted people to be able to experience Christ in new ways and to be able to read a bible and have that scent and that candle as a reminder that he is with us all the time."

"You can't see him and you can't touch him," says Bob Tosterud. "This is a situation where you may be able to sense him by smelling. And it provides a really new dimension to one's experience with Jesus."

The candles never stay on the shelves for long. The Tosteruds say each one that goes out is like a ministry in itself.

The candles sell for about $18. They are sold in about 150 stores around the country.

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0315/4287705_200X150.jpg

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,163 • Replies: 39
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:40 pm
I swear, in my next live I'll become a scam artist too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:51 pm
I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:54 pm
I know an old lady in East L.A. that makes these homemade at a fraction of the cost.

I can also get you rare reptiles, Drivers licences and Chesse.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:58 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole.

A ten-foot pole? Are they contagious?

Sounds like a great deal if you're looking to make a quick buck.

File it under, "Why the heck didn't I think of that first?".
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:59 pm
Amigo wrote:
I can also get you rare reptiles, Drivers licences and Chesse.

Can I buy wholesale? Be a great flea market item.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:04 pm
Buddy,You got the cash......They got whatever you want and however much you want.

Just take your hub caps off first and come hungry for Mexican food. (Alka selzer)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:07 pm
This whole "smells like Jesus" plus "essence" plus the color kinda grosses me out, but that's just me...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:13 pm
Maybe if we all put our thinking caps on, we can think of something great to sell.

Half proceeds to A2K, of course! :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
Incense that smells like Mussolini?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:17 pm
Mussolini Incense. Cone or stick??? How many??
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:22 pm
Smells like Jesus after he was born, covered in all that nasty afterbirth stuff?

Jesus after walking on the water?

Jesus after "hanging out" for a couple days?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:28 pm
How about an cologne called, "SexyGuy"?

http://file.sugarqube.com/Cards/jblo_SexyGuy.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:36 pm
I thought that pic was me at first. Only thing, his head has more hair.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:48 pm
I think the scent might be nice (not the sexyguy scent, the jesus one). I'd try mixing aloe, cassia and myrrh just to see -- nothing to do with jesus, you know.

Mussolini insence would be basil, tomatoe and fresh baked bread.....? Garlic too?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:06 pm
Why, just today, something came up at work, and I asked myself, "Now, how would Jesus Smell?", in a case like this.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:45 am
Jesus wept.

Prolly better than having your image in damp walls and mouldy stuff and such.

We are in a new age of religious insanity.

Next will be the sale of indulgences again..."As soon as the coin into the coffer rings, another soul into Heaven springs."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 06:56 am
Now, if someone would come up with a candle that smelled like Tangee lipstick, I would be the first one to go out and buy it. Memories..........................
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 07:12 am
what part of Jesus does this candle smell like?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 07:31 am
Reyn wrote:
Maybe if we all put our thinking caps on, we can think of something great to sell.

Half proceeds to A2K, of course! :wink:

for people who want to own a dog but cant due to allergies-
Here are some candle ideas

Wet dog
Dog sh*t
Dog breath
Dog farts

Same with cats.

Could also create a candle whos scent " boosts ones metabolisim"... since everything that affects the metabolisim is all the craze right now because people dont want to actually EXERCIZE... Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Couple Sells Candles That Smell Like Jesus
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 11:42:21