401K: Just Getting Started

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:40 pm
Ok, so I am setting up my 401K today....how much is generally the starting %?

5% seems like a lot of my check right now. Is it normal to start out with 5%?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,181 • Replies: 20
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:55 pm
I was told 10% when I started, and that's what I do. It isn't painless, but remember that it comes out pre-tax, so will hurt a little less than what you might think.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:56 pm
Whatever you think you can afford!

Maybe you should set up a poll and find out what % others put in...I'd be curious too. I think I put in 10%.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:08 pm
You're setting it up for the company, right? Ours is 50% matching, or 3% of gross, whichever is less. That is, you contribute (defer) 6% of your own gross, and the company contributes 3% of gross, which is 50% matching. Max employee deferral last year was 14,000. I think it's up to 15,000 this year. I'll dig it out if you need it.

401K deferrals are pre Federal Income tax, but not Social Security and Medicare. It is after FUTA. In weird little NM, it is pre SUI.

Let me know if you need help. If someone else is doing the company setup, just forget most of the above.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:11 pm
rogers right, set it up so that at least you put in enough percentage to get the maximum company max. That's free money, honey.

If that's all you can afford now, fine. The important thing is to start.

Then, when you get your next increase, just take that percentage (or at least some of it) and add it to your 401K contribution. If you do that, you'll have never seen the money, and won't miss it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:14 pm
The company will match 50% up to 6%. I can't do 12% right now.

I was just wondering what the norm is....

I think I will start with 5%. I can add or subtract if I want to. I need to see how this will affect me.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:18 pm
Do enough to get the full company match. It's free money. Look at it this way- You are getting a 50% return on the money the minute you put it in. You will never get that kind of return again.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:18 pm
Start with the maximum 12 % and if you have to, work your
way down a few percentage points over the years. A good
retirement plan is more important than you think Bella.
Rather cut corners someplace else sweetie.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:20 pm
It's really a weird part of my life right now...the whole actually starting to save for the future...a 401K...retirement....so bizarre...

I know I can't do 12% right now....I will sit down and figure what I can do. I guess I can call the 401K people.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:23 pm
Remember, Bella, that 12% is going to lower your taxable income for federal, and probably state income taxes. Depending on your tax bracket, your decline in take home pay, might be lots better than you expect.

6% company matching is very good, by the way.

Oh, is this an enron type plan in which you are getting company stock as the investment, or is it a sort of mutual fund? Mutual fund - go for the max.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:29 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
The company will match 50% up to 6%. I can't do 12% right now.

I was just wondering what the norm is....

I think I will start with 5%. I can add or subtract if I want to. I need to see how this will affect me.

wait, I just wanna be sure of what you're saying.....

Is the 6% matching on their part, or yours?

Is it that you contribute 12% to get their maximum contribution of 6%, or...
Is it that you contribute 6%, which is the maximum they will match to, and contribute the equiv. of another 3%.

Does that question make sense?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:31 pm
They match 50 % Chai. If Bella contributes only 6 %,
the company is contributing 50 % thus 3 %
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:34 pm
ok

like roger said, 6% match is very good.

I was thinking that sounded higher than normal.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:37 pm
It is higher than normal, that's why Bella should invest
the maximum of 12 %.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:14 am
roger wrote:

Oh, is this an enron type plan in which you are getting company stock as the investment, or is it a sort of mutual fund? Mutual fund - go for the max.

Good question....I don't know. I have the option to invest in several options but haven't. So it must be a fund, right? Oh this is complicated.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:45 am
Sounds like a fund. If you're young, lean towards the growth funds. If you're old, lower yield but safer might be better.

Investments in your own company can have tax advantages, but the pitfalls can be deep and wide, as we have seen.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:26 pm
I think the amount you invest is different for everyone. It depends on your age, how much the company matches and your salary (i.e. how much you can afford).

If you're just starting out with your career 5-7% is a good range, especially if your company matches.

I know this sounds silly, but when I was starting to invest, a family member suggested checking for information on the AARP website...they have some good overviews of things to consider like age, salary, costs,etc. Here's a link if you're interested in checking some other sources out.

http://www.aarp.org/money/financial_planning/
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:47 pm
maybe I missed it? did you say what you can afford defer?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:45 pm
I work in the mutual fund industry. The best thing is to invest as much as possible - especially if you are young. You can take great advantage of the reinvestments of the mutual funds - that alone increasing your earnings huge.

Not only if you invest the whole 12% you get the 6% matching -FREE MONEY!! You will be investing before taxes (so your "real" money coming out of your pay will more likely be 7 or 8%?? depends on your tax rate/deductions, etc. and any money earned on your 401k is tax deferred. That means you do not pay any taxes on earnings until you take the money out. Since you will not be taking it out until you retire - your tax rate will be lower than it currently is - this is a win-win situation - not too many of those - take advantage.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:48 pm
When my company said they'd match 50% up to 6% they meant "up to the first 6% taken out of my paycheck". I could have 10% taken out, but the company would consider only the first 6% when it came time to match...
0 Replies