Lovatts Colossus no.102 - Cryptic Competition

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 02:12 am
Hoping someone may be able to help me with the following cryptic clue

45D. Gives in and escapes deadly sin somehow (6)

The letters I have are Y?E?D?

I am thinking 'Gives in' = 'Yields', but can't break up the rest of the clue to lead me back to it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Butterfly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 977 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:26 am
Hi Butterfly

I can't break it down for you, but the only word I can form from the letters you give is "yields", so I'm pretty confident you are on the right track. Below are explanations for the word "yield", perhaps you might find something there that will assist you to verify your answer.

Quick definitions (yield)

noun: an amount of a product
noun: production of a certain amount
noun: the quantity of something (as a commodity) that is created (usually within a given period of time)
noun: the income arising from land or other property
verb: bring in
verb: be the cause or source of
verb: give in, as to influence or pressure
verb: consent reluctantly
verb: cease opposition; stop fighting
verb: give over; surrender or relinquish to the physical control of another
verb: be fatally overwhelmed
verb: end resistance, especially under pressure or force (Example: "The door yielded to repeated blows with a battering ram")
verb: be willing to concede
verb: be flexible under stress of physical force
verb: give or supply (Example: "This year's crop yielded 1,000 bushels of corn")
verb: bring about
verb: move in order to make room for someone for something

Hope this helps.
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:34 am
Thank you for going to so much trouble to try and help me Dutch, your assistance is greatly appreciated as always!

Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:39 am
Hi, Butterfly!

Your clue was - gives in and escapes deadly sin somehow

"gives in" = yields
"and" escapes "deadly sin" (take "and" away and you are left with "edlysi" somehow (anagram) = yields.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:47 am
Hi lezzles!

You're brilliant! Cool

Thank you so much for solving that for me- it was driving me around the bend! Laughing

Post if I can return the favour- I have completed the rest of the cryptic grid now and will gladly assist you if you need any help.

Thanks again!
Take care.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:55 am
Butterfly - no trubs!

Will post if I get stuck. Thanks.

Have been too hot to concentrate, and sticking to the pages, which get damp and horrible, so have a few to catch up on.

See you!
0 Replies

sumi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:08 am
Hi Butterfly,

Nice to be able to assist you for a change....

If AND escapes out of deadly sin, the remaining letters are an anagram of yields!

It took me a while to work that one out also.

Cheers,
0 Replies

sumi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:45 am
Whoops!!! Sorry.

I was so anxious to help, I didn't scroll down all your replies so missed lezzles....my apologies.

Cheers,
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:37 am
Hi Sumi

It's nice to talk to you again!

Thank you so much for your assistance, it's greatly appreciated! Very Happy

If you get stuck on any of the other cryptic clues, just post and I'll gladly help you.

Hope to talk to you again soon.
Regards and many thanks, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:51 pm
butterfly wrote:
I have completed the rest of the cryptic grid now and will gladly assist you if you need any help.

You've WHAT?

Wow, It only came out a few days ago. How long you been doing cryptics for Butterfly?
Do you do other cryptics besides Lovatt's ones?
I've been tackling them for about a year now and I find I still get stuck on some 'clues' but am learning all the time. Thing is, if I try a non-Lovatt's one I'm completly baffled.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:58 pm
Hi Julksy,

I haven't really looked at other cryptics apart from Lovatts so far- theirs have been more than enough to keep me on my toes! Laughing

Lovatts cryptics were a very slow gradual process for me. A few years ago I wouldn't even go near them- thought they were too difficult and way over my head. Over time though, I became curious and started to look at the clues and found I was able to answer one or two, then three or four etc, and then I started to learn different techniques in solving them from the Lovatts 'Feedback' and 'Judge Sums Up' pages, where they would sometimes explain how to break up the difficult clues and solve them. (eg. evens/odds, spoonerisms, anagrams etc)
I just kept filing away each new technique, and in turn, they helped me to solve more of the clues.

It took me a very long time to be able to complete my very first cryptic, and many more grids after that 'scotched' me by at least a few answers, but that just made me more determined to learn and persevere with them!

I have gone from fearing them, to now anxiously awaiting each new grid! Laughing

Like you, I am continuously learning as I go along.

It is also wonderful to know that when I get stuck on any clues, that I can turn to my A2K family for help- there are so many wonderful people here!

Post if you need any help with the current grid Julksy, and I will gladly assist you!

0 Replies

julksy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:06 am
It is good to know that the Cryptic family is here eh?
I must admit I look foward to the Colossus coming out just for the cryptic ( my eyes aren't good enough to see the small text in the other puzzles anymore), but I also can't help myself logging in here stealing a few answers...hehe...but...thankfuly whoever helps others with answers tells them how to work out the clue.....so it's all a learning experience for me.

Those bloody Sudoku things tho.....you had a go at those?....I know how they work...but I am SO hopeless at them....*laughs*
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:41 am
Hi Julksy,

I'm glad you enjoy the cryptics too! Post any time you need help or are not sure about an answer, and myself or others will do our best to assist you. :wink:

I have just become hooked on the Sudoku puzzles recently, Laughing , and am slowly working my way up to some of the harder ones. I always use a pencil so I won't make a hash of the grid when I make a mistake!

Have a nice evening Julksy.
Hope to talk to you again soon.
Regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 04:01 am
A pencil?
I have to stop myself using a knife..*coughs*
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 04:03 am
Laughing
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 04:21 am
I have to admit I have a scribbling pad handy when I do the hard SuDoKu's. I draw up a grid on it big enough to write in all the "Possibles" and then use a white-out pen to eliminate "Impossibles".

I get a little bit annoyed when people boast that they can do SuDoKu's in a few minutes - I just do not believe it! Sure, the easy ones are just that, once you get the hang of them, but the harder ones can be really mind bending.

I too stick with the Lovatt's cryptics; which is probably a very lazy thing to do, but being used to their 'mind-set' I don't want to have to get used to someone else's.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:47 pm
Finally got to the Cryptic and then hit the panic button. I could not work any of them out. My concentration was totally gone. I decided to sleep on it and if I could get nowhere to call on the A2K brains trust.

Tried again this morning and managed to work out all but one. I decided I was not going to agonise over it any more, so typed up this posting together with the clue and what cross letters I had.

As I hit the 'Submit' button the answer jumped out at me.

Rather than delete the post I decided to edit because -
a) I wanted to thank you all, knowing you would have answered it; and
b) because I realised that seeing the clue printed on the screen clarified and de-personalized it, and made it simple to solve. This might be a trick worth trying if you get stuck.

Thanks again!
0 Replies