8 pound Dolly takes on a 40 pound Chow dog

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:58 pm
I spent New Years day with friends, who wanted me to bring my two dogs, which they adore, with me. Both of my dogs are love bugs whose only experience with other dogs is one of being affectionate buddies.

Maddy, who is a 14 pound Bichone Frise, and Dolly, who is an 8 pound Shih Tsu-Japanese Chen mix, were playing with the guests around my friend's house. More guests arrived and accidently allowed my friends two large dogs into the house. The 40 pound Black Chow dog cornered Maddy in the kitchen. I heard him screaming and the Chow growling on top of him. I rushed to the kitchen as other guests tried to get the Chow off of the terrified Maddy. To everyone's astonishment, we saw a furious growling 8 pound Dolly grab hold of the Chow's tail and try to pull him off of Maddy.

The dogs were finally separated and the two large dogs were taken outside. Dolly went with them out the door and continued to bark at the bullies. One of the men grabbed her and brought her back inside. She went to Maddy to check him out while we examined him from head to toe and found no injuries or bites. My friends were very upset at the attack on Maddy. I wonder if he will trust another dog again.

Maddy spent the rest of the day on my lap, trembling for a while until he calmed down. In the meantime, Dolly kept going to the windows where the big dogs were looking in, growling at them. It was obvious that she was challenging them with "bring them on." Dolly is my 8 pound fierce protector of her big brother.

Don't mess with my Dolly.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 941 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:59 pm
a dwarf chow?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:04 pm
Dys
dyslexia wrote:
a dwarf chow?

Nope, a full gorwn large Chow. Maybe he weighs more than 40 pounds. 50 to 55 pounds?

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:07 pm
My small dog acts brave and barks through the fence at dogs, then runs for her life if they get near.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
Edgar
edgarblythe wrote:
My small dog acts brave and barks through the fence at dogs, then runs for her life if they get near.

But Dolly was really tugging at the Chow's tail to rescue Maddy. She not only didn't run from them, she chased them outside and didn't quit until she was picked up and brought inside.

BBB
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:12 pm
I remember one time I was sitting in a bar when a guy walked in and asked who owned the chihuahua out back.

A woman said it was hers and the guy informed her that her dog had just killed his dog.

"What?", she replied, "How is that possible? What kind of dog do you own?"

"I own a Rotweiller. He got your dog lodged in his throat and choked to death."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:27 pm
Dolly
I misspelled Japanese Chin in my first post. I also think the woman I brought her from was mistaken in saying she was a Shih Tsu. chins are very rare in Albuquerque, I've never seen another one. The more photos I see of adult Japanese Chins, the more I think Dolly is wholly a Chin. I don't have a photo of her to post, but this photo of a five year old dog looks a lot like her.

http://www.nextdaypets.com/ListingImages/3fd182c3-ca421.jpg

Maddy is the Bichon Frise in my avatar.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:28 pm
Go Dolly!

Glad Maddy is fine, too.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:18 pm
Dolly deserves a gift for her bravery, BBB.

Maybe she could use a collar to match her new image?

http://www.wartenaschihuahuas.com/SpikeCollarPink.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm
Dolly and Madison?!?!?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
DrewDad
DrewDad wrote:
Dolly and Madison?!?!?

DrewDad, you are so smart -you got it! Dolly Madison.

When my children were growing up, we had two dogs named Bonnie and Clyde and two Siamese cats named Cesar and Cleopatra.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:06 am
Eva
Eva wrote:
Dolly deserves a gift for her bravery, BBB.
Maybe she could use a collar to match her new image?
http://www.wartenaschihuahuas.com/SpikeCollarPink.jpg

Eva, a perfect collar for Dolly. Funny thing is that Dolly is my party girl. She is a coyly outrageous flirt and uses it to her advantage.

I was absolutely astonished at her action in response to Maddy's distress. I knew she was feisty, but never dreamed she would fight like an enraged mother bear to save her big brother.

BBB
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
Of course she would. She is female, isn't she? That is what we do.

I thought the collar would be perfect, too. Wink
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
Dolly and Maddy discover stairs
My two dogs, Dolly and Madison, are a great source of amusement for me.

Yesterday, I drove to my son's new home near Albuquerque to monitor it until they arrive from Florida on 1/22. My contractor and friend, Henry accompanied me as well as both of my dogs.

It is a large two story house with an L-shaped stairway to the second floor. My dogs have never been in a two story house and stairs were new to them.

Henry went up stairs to check things out and the dogs tried to follow him. They stumbled around until they caught on to how to mount the steps and reach the second floor. Henry came down with Dolly following behind him, sometimes hopping and sometimes rolling, but she made it to the bottom.

Maddy, on the other hand, did not come down. We called and called to him. No Maddy. So Henry went back up stairs and there was Maddy, standing there looking down the stairs, but not knowing how to get down them. Henry called to him but Maddy just whimpered and stayed where he was. Finally Henry picked up Maddy and carried him half way down and then put him down. Maddy tentatively tried, one step at a time and then, finally, scampered down the remaining steps.

A few minutes later, Maddy followed Dolly part way up the stairs again, but then turned around and hopped back down.

I concluded that little 8-pound Dolly is fearless while 14-pound Maddy is much more cautious.

Aren't dogs funny?

BBB
0 Replies