A2K New Year's Eve Party

Intrepid

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:29 am
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
I can't get the darn cork outta my wine bottle. Sad I'm lookin at that wine and the more I look at it the more I wanna drink. Dang corks. Why can't they just put a screw type lid on it.

Mumbles and tries again.

It may be a bit late for tonight, but a simple trick to open a bottle of wine when you don't have a corkscrew etc. is to put something over the cork... a screwdriver works fine for this. Hold the screwdriver in your left hand and pop it with the palm of your right hand. The idea is to push the cork into the bottle. If done correctly, you should not have any cork bits to strain out. Just pour and enjoy.

Happy New Year
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:29 am
Same to you Tico - Your home early
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:33 am
husker wrote:
Same to you Tico - Your home early

I had the little ticos out at a party. So, we got home before Midnight, and they stayed up to watch the replay of the ball dropping in Times Square. We tooted our party horns for a bit .... Then their little eyelids could stay open no longer ......

And now I've unscrewed my wine bottle ...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:35 am
Intrepid wrote:
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
I can't get the darn cork outta my wine bottle. Sad I'm lookin at that wine and the more I look at it the more I wanna drink. Dang corks. Why can't they just put a screw type lid on it.

Mumbles and tries again.

It may be a bit late for tonight, but a simple trick to open a bottle of wine when you don't have a corkscrew etc. is to put something over the cork... a screwdriver works fine for this. Hold the screwdriver in your left hand and pop it with the palm of your right hand. The idea is to push the cork into the bottle. If done correctly, you should not have any cork bits to strain out. Just pour and enjoy.

Happy New Year

Another trick I've found handy is to have a corkscrew in the drawer next to the silverware. :wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:37 am
Enjoy your wine, Tico. And, have a cigar on me.

http://www.cigarsalesonline.com/images/dbthumbs/dbimages/camacho.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:50 am
Intrepid wrote:
Enjoy your wine, Tico. And, have a cigar on me.

http://www.cigarsalesonline.com/images/dbthumbs/dbimages/camacho.jpg

I absolutely LOVE Camachos. Box-pressed even.

May I have two?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:56 am
Friends of mine asked me to reflect on the past year. As I try and think, trying to speak and or pray some profound thoughts from the last year (this has also been the year of me being asked to pray on many occasions) I draw a blank. What is it about this year that is any different than the past? Well for sure my(our) experiences have been different, difficult and life-changing and almost common place to staggering, ouch that's stinky thought.. So, instead of trying to be profound, I have simply spoken and prayed the experiences, trials, and the over coming.

The love that I (we) have received in so many ways and places is undeniable.
Life is to short and precious to dwell on hate and negativity - so the most profound thing I'm going to say tonight is my sincere and honest wishes that you have a great New Year filled with health, peace, love and friendship.

Husker
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:11 am
HAPPY (hic) NEW YEAR!!!!!(hic.....passing out)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:52 am
Happy New Year! To Everyone!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:01 am
http://static.flickr.com/41/80090193_4575078f8e.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:14 am
Damn, I got here too late! Did I miss justa_babbling_brooke's annual striptease/guacamole dance?

Trust me, it's better than Dick Clarke any day.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:10 am
Well, a belated Happy Nude Year to you, kkcan! And to all our readers.
It isn't the Year of the Dog until Chinese New Year, to go back a few pages.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:50 am
kickycan wrote:
Phoenix: Fifty bucks says you're snoring on the couch by 10:30.

I owe you. Somewhere in the middle of L&O C.I., I fell fast asleep. When I woke up, it was 1 A.M. Missed the whole darn thing!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:08 am
I couldnt have slept through that if I tried.
Someone on my street spent several hundred dollars on some damn loud fireworks.
scared the f-k outta me at midnight... when I was ASLEEP.
grrrr

happy new years . :-)
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:11 am
realjohnboy wrote:
A story from Johnboy before the new year kicks in and while we have a bit of time to kill.
Johnboy's mother, after raising three sons and doing a lot of charity work, decided she wanted to go into retailing. But what? She had no interest in clothing or antiques or stuff like that. The folks had friends who were in the Stamp and Coin business; catering to people who collected those things. No one does that anymore, I guess. Collecting little stamps from far off places. That is sad.
Anyway, she was in that business for almost 35 years. She, a smart lady, described it as a "sinecure."

This story is going somewhere, believe me!

She was invited to meetings of the local stamp or coin clubs, but she never went to them, except for one. Johnboy drove her to the run down house on University Circle. The host was a professor of history who, much to the chagrin of the University, was pretty much wacko, but tenured. His "wife" claimed to be Anastasia; the daughter of the Czar of Russia. The whole family was supposedly killed in 1917, but this lady appeared in Germany (1930's?) and claimed to be Anastasia.

So Johnboy and his mom are in this drafty house on University Circle. The place is full of trash. And cats. And the smell of cats. The other folks are talking about stamps.
"Anastasia" leans over to Johnboy and then to his mother and says, first in Russian and then in German: "So, when does the dancing start?"

RJB,

You are referring to Jack Manahan and Anna Anderson... The rare book store I used to work for bought his entire library.

I have a Christmas card from their house addressed to Her Imperial Majesty Princess Anastasia...

Small world eh ?

Happy new year everyone.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:12 pm
A small world indeed, Liontamerx.
Letty, a long-time A2Ker living in Florida, grew up one county south of me, and was the first to appreciate the attempt at wit of my screen name.
Panzade, or it might have been Bear (now going under a different name), was in a band that played in a club in the basement of my store building.
A small world indeed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:53 pm
My cold and I went to bed at 9:30 last night and I'm feeling little more lively today. New Year's dinner is cooked and ready to go.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
Sorry to hear that you have a cold, Noddy. If I'd have known, I would have come round to give you a good rub down with some goose grease.

Happy new year, everyone.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:42 pm
Lord E--

Thanks for the good wishes and a Merry New Year to you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:57 pm
I'm sorry I missed all the fun, but Happy New Year everyone :-D
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:16:22