Digital radio in the U.S.

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:59 am
I have found that satellite radio would not function in our apartment - the antenna needs to be on a windowsill, and the window must face south. Too bad.

Now, about digital radio. Most of the information I can find relates to the U.K. Here is what the iBiquity site says:

"Like its analog version, the Recepter Radio HD is in the mold of high-quality table radios made famous by the legendary Henry Kloss and his line of Tivoli receivers. But this radio has circuitry inside that not only receives regular AM and FM stations, but also the new digital versions of those stations.

The Recepter HD uses the digital broadcasting system created by iBiquity. It's a system only approved in the United States. Other countries around the world (including Canada) use different digital radio broadcast technologies."

Does anyone know if those "different digital radio broadcast technologies" are available in the U.S., or does iBiquity have a total lock on digital broadcasting here?

Is the choice of station limited to the ordinary local ones, or does it cover a wider spectrum?

If anyone here (specifically in the U.S, obviously) has digital radio what do you think of it? Do the stations include classical music? Is the location of the unit a necessary consideration as with satellite radio?

Any and all information welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 777 • Replies: 4
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:12 pm
See my reply to one of your other posts on this subject.Hope it helps Cool
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 03:57 pm
I have to say that this is a topic that interest me, as well.
Having done some research and now understanding (roughly) how XM, Worldspace and the like work...I don't quite understand the whole Digital Radio thing.

Is it more like a DSL connection? Same kind of idea? Obviously be going through a digital format, more information must be squeezed into a narrow band of information....
Anyone have any more ideas on the subject? Are there radio stations in the US that are using the technology yet?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 04:56 pm
Try my other posts in Consumer Electronics:

Digital or satellite - which?

Table Top digital radio

There's a lot of information in them, some very technical, some less advanced. Several people are very knowledgeable, especially timberlandko. Phoenix has been very helpful, too.

And you can try www.hdradio.com.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 04:57 pm
And yes, there are a good number of stations here using that technology.
0 Replies