And now my life has changed in oh so many ways....

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:50 am
You didn't know that, DD? C'mere, I won't hurtcha.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:59 am
I'm afraid to say that my early years seem to me now,on looking back,which I'm not really supposed to do,something in the way of a smoking ruin as is the way with launch-pads when examined from orbit which is where I now float unhindered by the dross of civilisation although not afraid to take advantage of it when the need arises.

I oftentimes like to daydream,in the bath particularly,and I recommend long,hot soaks for this very purpose,and I imagine that when I return on re-entry,whether the heat shield functions properly or not,that I will be greeted as a hero and as such ushered into the presence of The Great Goddess to receive Her divine salutations.

Mad though such a dream is,as I will readily concede to those whose sanity is beyond question,I do find it useful as a sort of guide-book on how to behave and go about things.

Were I to be of the opposite gender,something myself and Bernie are undecided about,I would obviously imagine receiving my reward from The Great God;Thor say,as The Great Goddess is well known for finding other females,rival as She sees them,well nigh intolerable.
0 Replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
I finished my second degree last spring and went immediately back into my OLD field. Sad

The money was better.

BUT! Next week is my last week at my old job and I will have my foot in the door of my new career in IT. And at the same money. Which I thought would be impossible.

Some of my life is getting better. Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:46 am
Well, I graduated the 8th grade and was looking forward to a higher education but my girlfriend was preggers so I went to work instead at a grain mill filling and stacking 100 lb sack of corn. After a few years of this and having no skills I sought emplyment with the government where I rose to a high position as a policy analyst with a corner office. I never was able to fulfill my dreams to become a plumber.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:46 am
oh, i would love to be a plumber. i really would. or a wood worker, cabinet maker, some such handicraft.
i studied (finishing my doctorate in) political science. thus anything i do would be in the field, almost. except if i would become a painter or a singer... which is unlikely.
from february i'll be back in my previous job - ethnic conflict mediation and conciliation. i wouldn't change. love to travel, and i get a lot of that with this job. my dream is to work in other countries, and that is also quite likely with this job. next year i'll be back in india and then palestine. happy as a clam. ....if only i ever finish writing the diss.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:12 pm
sozobe wrote:
Hey, Reyn's well and truly retired! Congrats!

Thanks! It feels great! It's a good time not to be meter reading here. The rain is coming down like crazy.

Sitting here in front of the computer with a big smile on my face. Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
And how long before Mrs. Reyn goes insane?

0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
No, I'm not doing anything like what I studied...

Which is making me think.

Most people seem to take it as a given that college in necessary, especially for those just coming to that age.

Most of us have so far said they are not doing what they studied. I'll assume we're all somewhat successful in what we have chosen to do.

I've learned most of my skills (especially nunchuk skills) by the seat of my pants. I think most people do just that.

Is the purpose of a degree just to get us in the door?

If so, why?

I'd have to say I couldn't pick out in a crowd who graduated and who didn't.

Now, legal, medical, that's different, but otherwise?

I just don't know.

Oh! Really happy for ya Reyn.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:04 pm
I didn't go to college or university.....yet. Know lots of friends blahblahblah who did. They are no better off than myself for it; though I used to believe I was below them somehow because I wasn't part of that scene.

For a long while I wanted to be a writer, mainly because I imagined I would be sitting around reading books, scribbling, hanging out and living a life like Hemmingway. I also have always been drawn to creative pursuits, and without going to college I am living my dream. Lots of passion, lots of ridiculous, and always playing.
I never planned things in my life, and that was how I imagined things would be. Silly, chaotic, and just diving in and doing what needs to be done.

I ended up working in homecare bc I needed a flexible job, and I am good at taking care of people. I also took on all sorts of odds and ends; painting, catering, tutoring, modeling, cleaning rooms, etc etc. Now I am in a homeless shelter; taking care of people again. I clean in a hotel and I take up projects when I'm not there. No matter what I do I will incorporate that element of working with people - because it makes me happy.

I love learning, so I will probably go back to school soon. It's time for a change.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:31 pm
I took a degree in Scholastic Philosophy (minors in English and Classical Languages).
Then my life took one helluva u-turn after a year working toward a Masters in Divinity.

As one might expect, I became a software engineer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:31 pm
Oh, I don't know, George. From my viewpoint, theology and software have a lot in common. Both are basically magic. <LOL>
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:37 pm
I majored in Commercial Art back in the "BC" days. (Before Computers) I left college at the first of my senior year to take a job that offered to pay me while they taught me production skills. It was the best move I ever made. Two years later I began freelancing with a portfolio full of actual printed work instead of simply classroom designs.

No client has ever asked me about my education. All they ever want to see is samples of my work or recommendations from other clients.

I had to learn how to write to get the art jobs. Pretty soon I was doing as much writing as design. Eventually I went back and took two years worth of coursework in Business because I needed it. Then I started doing events and publicity. Now I just say "public relations." I do whatever a client needs done. If I can't do it, I find a highly qualified contractor I can hire (illustration artists, photographers, etc.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
George wrote:
I took a degree in Scholastic Philosophy (minors in English and Classical Languages).
Then my life took one helluva u-turn after a year working toward a Masters in Divinity.

As one might expect, I became a software engineer.

I'm in love with you now.

That is a magic post.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:06 pm
It is, isn't it!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:38 am
flushd wrote:
I didn't go to college or university.....yet. Know lots of friends blahblahblah who did. They are no better off than myself for it; though I used to believe I was below them somehow because I wasn't part of that scene.

Yeah

I live in Austin, Tx, which means any number of things.

With some of the University students though, you would think the whole meaning of the city is the fact that the school is here.

I think it's kinda funny sometimes when a student will try to patiently explain something to you that you've been doing for 20 or 30 years.

I've been informed a number of times how I can sell my house, and start buying a flipping.

Uh, well, I'm sorta living here because I like it?

Well, getting back on track, it still doesn't look like anything like a majority are actually doing what they set out for.

Happily I hope.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:57 am
I think trying to decide what you want to do at college age is very dreamy.

Before the responsiblity of daily living kicks in it is so much easier to be idealistic.

I have a full grown sister who has a career as a student. I envy her.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:59 am
Really?
Why?

Idealism can be so farging annoying.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:13 am
Chai Tea wrote:

Yeah

I live in Austin, Tx, which means any number of things.

With some of the University students though, you would think the whole meaning of the city is the fact that the school is here.

(( patiently explaining ))

That is the entire reason for Austin's place on the map ....
UT.
Period . End of story..
Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:17 am
Because I would love to have the time and money to go take classes on things that interest me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:31 am
Yeah, me too.

As has been said, I definitely think there is a huge value in the experience of college no matter what degree you have or how you ended up using it. The meta stuff about critical thinking, knowing how to research/ get the info you need, learning how to express yourself clearly, working independently, all kinds of stuff.

I absolutely adored getting my English degree (emphasis on creative writing) -- it was both useless and universally useful. Being able to write well (which I can do occasionally though you can't tell here, I'm tired) serves all kinds of purposes. I've parlayed it into successful grant proposals (grant applications are mostly about telling your story succinctly and well) and successful lesson plans and, currently, a small crop of writing and editing jobs.

Getting a master's degree in early childhood education has been a great preparation for parenting, I recommend it for all parents. :-) I STILL regularly consult old textbooks, see if I remembered things right. It's a fascinating subject in and of itself, too, language acquisition, how baby and kid's brains form, all kinds of good stuff.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 01:29:01