And now my life has changed in oh so many ways....

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:36 pm
I stumbled into a thread about PSAT scores tonight......

At the time of my stumbling I was working on a photo of my can opener. I had noticed that my can opener seemed a little unhappy and I took its photo. I was waiting for some transformations to happen, cruising A2K and Mo roamed in saying "let's pretend I'm a chocolate milk worker" toting a gallon of milk and a squeeze jar of Hershey's syrup.

I had spent a fraction of the day considering the new year already. I'll be adding a nearly empty book to the two previous books in my safe, waiting to bring them back to light for a judge, and wondering how full the next book will be.

I had spent another fraction of the day wandering the neighborhood knocking on doors asking people to open their garages to see if ought-to-know-better-Biscuit had locked herself inside. (Yes. She had.)

ANYway.....

I DID end up doing what I studied in college, for the most part anyway (though note: it took me several can opener photos to get one that I liked, that is what they teach you in photo school, by gum) and I'm wondering if you ended up doing what you studied in college?

Yes? No? Why? How?

Fill me in!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,106 • Replies: 56
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:42 pm
Yes, and no.

I think I need to be at my home puter for this one - don't wanna take over hamburger's puter for hours while I think and compose.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:44 pm
Well then I will consider that a bookmark and look forward to your future reply!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:46 pm
I did, but it took over three years to get a foot in the door. Associate degrees aren't what they used to be, never have been, and probably never will be.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:49 pm
my lifes more a case of "life is what happens while you're busy making other plans", never went to college, or university, may some day, if i can ever decide what to be when i grow up (if i grow up)

all my life i've wanted to read a lot of good books, listen to a lot of good music, watch a lot of good movies/tv programs and meet a lot of interesting people, and i've pretty much managed to do those things
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:50 pm
Studied Art History and Fine Arts. Worked in the field until I got tired of being poor. Moved into the (then) very new field of High Tech Sales and made lot's of money on Wall St., got tired of the work load and the money. Now I'm a happy (although poorer) garden designer who gets to use both the art training and sales experience. Obtaining knowledge is never a waste of time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:58 pm
Yup, I first went to school and got an AS in Medical Technology, worked as a tech for a dozen years or so in the blood donor industry, went back to school and got a BS in statistics, worked for a diagnostic test kit manufacturer doing clinical trials, left corporate America when my first child was born, started my own statistical consulting/clinical research company 13 years ago, been doing it as a home based business ever since. I still work primarily doing data analysis and clinical trials in the diagnostic arena so I've combined both degrees into a very nice niche.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:02 pm
Interesting!

Well said Green Witch - obtaining knowledge is not a waste of time. And there are so many ways to obtain knowledge that has nothing to do with education.

My education served me in that it opened a few doors but a whole lot of the stuff I learned never ever came into play in my working life. I think that might be typical of people who study art.

But probably in many more areas than art....

"Prove it" seems to be the real career maker.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:09 pm
Yes and no.

I didnt go to school to be a momma , but damn sure wish I could have. Laughing

I studied geriatric nursing and DID go directly to work an hour after graduation.

Worked many odd jobs during my time in school. Everything from motel clerk to autoglass installer. At one point in time I had almost considered chaging my vocation to auto mechanics.. Something about working on a vehicle really flipped my lid.
So , instead of sacrificing a financially rewarding career, by going to a technical college to study the inner workings of the grease machines we drive, I took some small introduction classes to mechanics and work on my own vehicles.

Still get the power trip I enjoyed , when I talk to people about the things I have done to my vehicles, and have that sense of security that is uneplainable when my car makes a noise.. yet, I can still cruise around town in my 'lab coat' and scope, puffing up with more pride then I can handle , knowing Im nurse.

Next to parenthood, nothing in the working world that I have ever tried , filled me with such a sense of belonging and strength.

Here I am in my life now, looking at my "safe" thinking about the things that are in there..
1 child who is now excited to get to know me now that she knows she was adopted..
Another child growing at my feet
A husband that is worth more then gold
A career that has brought me some of the dearest friends I could ever ask for and has given me the opportunity to learn how to love random people completely.
A tattered homeless past that gave me a real base for life strength.

and then of course, A2K wich has given me a bit of sanity......... just a bit..

now.. back to my padded room.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 08:18 pm
This is fascinating! That you all.

I'm going to sit back and read and think on this.

It seems like "direction" is intregal but not absolutely key.

Hmmm.....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 09:28 pm
Yes I did end up doing what I studied. Kinda. I graduated with a degree in Fashion Illustration, segued into Advertising as a layout artist and art director and now, almost thirty years later, I'm primarily a graphic designer/art director/layout artist. Advertising is the glue that holds it all together.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:24 pm
Went to several colleges, studied some, but mostly just bummed around. Did manage however to reap the fruits of my labor because I am now a very capable bum.

One of the highest ranked in the industry.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:30 pm
Me, I grew up wanting to be a meter reader. Rolling Eyes

I saw these fellows walking house to house and figured, what a fun job! They pay people to do this?

After all, it wouldn't be the type of work you'd just fall into, right? Right?

And now, 31 years later, my dream career is over.

I am very sad. Sad

[size=7]Yippeeeeeeee![/size]
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:49 pm
Hey, Reyn's well and truly retired! Congrats!

(That's my bookmark -- also don't have any time to respond more fully yet...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:21 am
Yes....given that I did a general degree first (with honours in English) then did two thirds of a post grad teaching qualification (which, oh joy, I had the sense to walk out on!!!)...and then did my post grad social work degree.

But, in terms of what I do today, that social work training was a squillionth of what I needed, and I have never stopped studying.

The English, philosophy, psychology and history I did in my first degree have been exceedingly useful in everything I do, though.

(PS: Were you hoping the photographing would make the can opener happier?)

(PPS: What has been most helpful, information wise, in your life, re raising Mo???)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:12 am
Oof, I've told this before. Smile

But I'll say it again.

My undergrad degree is in Philosophy. Plus I have a JD and am admitted to the NY Bar. I practiced for a little over 3 years and hated it.

Bummed around, found I had a knack for computers. I currently work as a Voice Recognition Engineer. I work on several products, some of which relate to my (general) background, some don't. Can't say much, trade secrets and all that, yanno.

My job did not exist when I left college and Law School. Hence some of the answers here might be qualified by that -- I could not possibly be doing this as an offshoot of what I studied in school because it was not a subject when I was in school. How many people have that kind of a spin on their careers?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:35 am
The only thing I ever wanted to be was a photographer but even then I really didn't know what kind of photographer I wanted to be (I'm still not sure, now that I mention it).

I've only known a couple of people who were really SURE of what they wanted to do --

One is a friend who looked over the data of what would allow him to make the most amount of money and maintain a 9-5, leave the job at work life. He became an actuary.

The other is my brother. He wanted to be a soldier and he is indeed a soldier.

The progress one makes between worrying about SAT scores and real life with all of the real choice it requires is an interesting process, is it not?

Quote:
(PS: Were you hoping the photographing would make the can opener happier?)

(PPS: What has been most helpful, information wise, in your life, re raising Mo???)

I don't know what I was thinking!

Abuzz/A2K has without doubt been the most helpful information wise.

What I learned in my education and career that has helped the most has been ...

...that there is no shame and a lot to gain by taking 100 shots of/at something before you're satisfied.

...when to be satisfied.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:40 am
Here is the photo of my unhappy can opener:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/House/th_canopener.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:41 am
oh no

Jespah is ( whispering ) big BROTHER!!!

I never KNEW I wanted to be a nurse until I actually started the job in a nursing home.
I chose to be a nurse simply because it was the most return for the least investment.
In school, I was pretty laid back about studying, and didnt have a complete dedication to anything.

Sort of ... educational grazing.. was my mind set.

Once I started working, I never felt more complete.
I can truthfully say, I dont belong in any other field.
I am a nurse with every fiber of my being.
Love it.. just love it. Very Happy

I remember, when I met you Boom, you fit the idea of a photographer so well.
I can see how that belongs to you. ;-)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:49 am
Worse, Jespah is a (screaming in fear) LAWYER!!!!!

Always loved computers, but thought I'd get a degree.

Was bored to tears in school; three different majors, none the right thing for me.

Dropped out, got a job as a net admin, and only occasionally looked back.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » And now my life has changed in oh so many ways....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 11:28:36