Boomers don't trust direct deposit

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:37 pm
Fishin's explanation for the older contingent makes a lot of sense. I think that in general, people older than Gen X or so are more likely to distrust online technology. My mother-in-law wouldn't buy some doll clothes for sozlet for Christmas because she didn't trust the site that was selling them (a major brand).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:20 pm
Soz are you calling the Boss old Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:24 pm
Older than Gen X, yes. :-)

This is what I meant by Fishin's explanation of why there is an exception, with the older contingent (older than Baby Boomers):

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1751043#1751043
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:00 pm
That's just dumb.

As IMO are all of the people currently between the age of 45 and 60.

Seriously. That's what they think of everyone else. How much DOPE did you smoke growing up anyway?

True baby boomers suck. Don't group me with them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:23 pm
pffft
I think I've officially gone past thinking cjhsa's posts are dumb.
pffffffffft on the p.c. police

~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't been in a bank, other than to get the cash to pay for my last car <the interac machine just didn't want to let me take that much cash out of my accounts all at once> in close to a decade now.

Actually, the interac experience in Canada is very different from that in the U.S. We've got more of the machines, proportionally, and use them much more regularly.

I haven't worked anyplace that would do anything other than direct deposit since sometime in the mid-1980's. It's direct deposit all the way. There is no other option at most Canadian employers.

My current employer doesn't even issue paystubs anymore. You go online to find out what you got paid, and when it was deposited.

It's been a long time since we either got an actual cheque, or a confirmation stub dropped off at our desks, or mailed home. It's all self-service round here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:01 pm
For a while there, the medical spending account was sending paper checks, but I've found that if you write them a nice note, they're more than willing to do direct deposit. It all shows up in maybe a week.

Right now, I use checks for 3 things: mortgage (because I pay extra principal, so I have to specify where all the cash goes, but I believe they have an online option there so I will probably look into that soon. Only thing is, I'd have to remember to pay them via the mortgage company's website, rather than my own bank's site. Not a big deal unless your brain is fried. Smile), a company I get monthly stuff from and need to specify whether I want something specific (they may also have an online option; again, the thing is, this wouldn't be through the bank so it's another little thing to remember) and gift checks. My bank can even set me up so that checks to individuals can go through them; I may set up my folks' and brother's info there as these are pretty much the only people we ever actually send checks to. Oh, one more place, the paper delivery guy, for the tip. But the actual newspaper is paid for online.

It's just easier. I hate all of the paper and I hate the stack of stuff waiting to be done at the end of the week if it can't be done online. Online, I can quickly do things at work, but offline means it waits for the weekend when I'm at home, near the stamps and address labels and all of that happy stuff.

Newtonville? I dun live in Newtonville.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:24 pm
I don't get it ehBeth. Why can't I use the same arguments against baby boomers that they have used against younger (and especially older) people for their entire lives? I've had to live under the laws designed to protect those idiots since I was born, and then after they were through with them, they change the rules.

Would someone like to take a stab at that?

I really enjoy being able to single out the stupidity of the true boomers - and this thread provides a great opportunity.

For the most part, they are greedy, self serving, liberal, dope smoking, anti-capitalist (but they are still greedy), anti-hunt, gun grabbing Democrats. And they wear tie-dye.

I'm certainly in the minority in my age bracket for this opinion, but find someone of current retirement age to back me up. They will, trust me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 08:08 am
ehBeth wrote:
I haven't worked anyplace that would do anything other than direct deposit since sometime in the mid-1980's. It's direct deposit all the way. There is no other option at most Canadian employers.

My current employer doesn't even issue paystubs anymore. You go online to find out what you got paid, and when it was deposited.

It's been a long time since we either got an actual cheque, or a confirmation stub dropped off at our desks, or mailed home. It's all self-service round here.

I've experienced the same thing. I come into work on pay day and there is an e-mail in my work e-mail inbox with a PDF copy of my pay statment.

The only paper checks I've gotten were the 1st paychecks at each new job I've had. They do a $0.00 electronic fund transfer to verify the account info is correct in the system on the employee's 1st paycheck and mail them a paper check. After that it's all done electroniclly.

I've had my current bank account for about 6 years now and I've wrtten less than 50 paper checks from it too. I use their on-line bill paying system instead.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
The boomers trusted Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan over their own parents.

What do you expect?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:19 pm
I don't think you'll find anyone here with a more publicly trusting and respectful relationship with his or her parents than ehBeth, cjhsa. (Have you met hamburger?)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
cjhsa wrote:
I....For the most part, they are greedy, self serving, liberal, dope smoking, anti-capitalist (but they are still greedy), anti-hunt, gun grabbing Democrats. And they wear tie-dye.

I'm certainly in the minority in my age bracket for this opinion, but find someone of current retirement age to back me up. They will, trust me.

Uh, what brought this on? We were talking about banking. The generalization wasn't made by me, it was made by wherever I got the article from (CNN, I think).

I never knew banking inspired such passions.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:40 am
Good for her. I know I'm stereotyping. Most boomers wear that stereotype on their sleeve.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
jespah wrote:

Uh, what brought this on? We were talking about banking. The generalization wasn't made by me, it was made by wherever I got the article from (CNN, I think).

I never knew banking inspired such passions.

It was just a window of opportunity. Sorta like now is the time to invest in retirement communities. Wink
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
Are there other windows or is this the only one?
0 Replies