Cybership Abuzz - The Story

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 05:36 am
Just so long as you don't shrink on the voyage...

I see ehBeth as equal to any two normal little, feisty, stroppy deeruahuahas ...so we have them sewn up...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 06:28 am
dlowan wrote:
...I guess Jes would have to be Mrs Noah .....

I better tell Mr. Jespah to roll over. Good thing we have a king-sized bed. <snicker>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 06:34 pm
no vL i mean those little footquotes beneath the squiggly lines. Some people have 2 or 3 line quotes that I often shoot right through and dont stop till Ive confused myself.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 09:05 pm
Oh Smile they don't bother me...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 02:00 am
Violet:
Do you still post on Abuzz?
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 04:29 am
New Haven, yes, occasionally. I mentioned it earlier in the thread...
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:56 pm
I wonder if the bunny could be provoked on her special day. Any guesses.

Idea :wink: Idea :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 01:19 pm
Oh, yes, William. Just call her dolwin. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 07:11 pm
totally unmoved.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 07:21 pm
I will not be, I will not be moved,
I will not be, I will not be moved
Just like a tree that's planted by the water.
I will not be moved.

And on a serious note. (damn, I hate that expression)

What about this, rabbit?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/04/16/australia.hideaway.reut/index.html

got lost in the Laci Peterson coverage.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:17 am
Be interesting to know the full story - but my initial reaction is grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I can kind of understand a kid getting to feel the whole thing had become too big for her to handle - but the guy she hooked up with was supposed to be an adult...

Wonder what this means for the reliability of the police investigation into the alleged serial killer?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:39 am
What's this about?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:47 am
New Haven. Look back a couple of posts, and I have given a link to a very startling story involving an Australian girl who the world thought had been murdered by a serial killer.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 01:10 pm
Thanks, Letty.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 09:59 pm
I hear that Deb. What a story! Can you imagine how the parents felt when they found out she was alive?
0 Replies

ronmac60

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 10:11 pm
Violet Lake's brilliant wordsmanship and invention of metaphor (Abuzz likened to a dying cybership) presents an excellent on-site view of Abuzz's malaise but I do not agree as to the causes.

Having joined Abuzz more than three years ago it was amply apparent to me that Abuzz was NEVER designed, as Violet claims, to attract "the most graceful and intellectually curious people".
Abuzz, from the start was less of a Mensa Forum and more of a
"street corner meeting place".

Just reading a few hundred posts will soon reveal that many Abuzz
participants were uneducated folk who just wanted to express their opinion. Period. Some, obviously had little or no background on the subject of their attention. They just felt a certain way about the thing and wanted everyone to know what they thought.

I recall many posts that offered opportunities for educated comment but soon got off the track with inane and irrelevant
opinion, causing any serious writer to drop all contact.

As well, I recall off-the-wall posts that should have been ignored
in hopes of them not being recognized and, instead within days hundreds of members replying, thus disclosing the fact that there were just as many grade 5 members as there were with a college education.

Such a diversity of membership was a good thing provided the administration had immediately drawn up a few simple ground rules and requested volunteer self-monitoring.

As an example I personally frequent another forum in which, if I overstepped the bounds of propriety (perhaps foul language or
personal innuendo toward a member or even a subject not worthy
of discussion (I'm sure anyone who has read the stuff on public
bathroom walls knows just what I mean) an interruption in the post would occur. I saw several people kicked off the forum for 24 hours and even warned that their entry to the foum would be
deleted if it re-occurred.

What these regulated forums were saying was that any discussion
is fun but if it breaks out into a bloody fist fight it serves little purpose and isn't fun anymore.

Violet's reference to members masking under many aliases is true and could be easily prevented by allowing only ONE
membership per registered URL.

Any early member could see the writing on the wall when, in late 1999 one would read that " I ran my post through spell-check and then it would NOT post" or " I wrote a long post and then pressed
"review". After that it would NOT post at all.

These and other tech problems showed us that the great NY TIMES,
valued, I suppose at $10 billion or more did NOT see fit to hire one $500 a week techie to maintain the software. Any high school techie can repair and maintain a website, making sure the spell check works and that replies are monitored.

Nevertheless Violet's diagnosis is sadly accurate. The great cybership has hit the shoals and lies mortally wounded on the rocky shore.

Abuzz can only survive if some serious group buys it and restores it to its past grandeur. I see no saviour on the horizon. If others do I would appreciate it if they gave them a welcome hand.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:04 pm
Montana<

A lovely avatar such as yours is welcome here. Sure beats a smoky old bunny.

ronmac<

Good post about Abuzz.

I would say that some of the members you thought were uneducated were probably more educated than you thought. It takes talent to write some of that gibberish.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:12 pm
Williamhenry3
Why thank you very much :-D
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:49 pm
williamhenry3 wrote:
I would say that some of the members you thought were uneducated were probably more educated than you thought. It takes talent to write some of that gibberish.

Good point.

I also think there are a lot of immature kids posting there just for the attention. It's sad there are kids that have to do that to get noticed, but it's also EXTREMELY annoying to those of us who want to have a decent conversation.

I used to really look forward to Abuzz, but now I only check in there occasionally.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 05:15 am
ronmac, thanks for the lucid post, and thanks for the compliments Smile I joined Abuzz last summer, so my story is based on limited experience and opinions I've read on "what happened to Abuzz?" threads. It really is a special place with a strange story.
0 Replies