THAT'S A HELL OF A STEAK ! ! ! MAMMOTH RESURRECTION

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:19 pm
CBC had an interesting interview with a gentleman who is sequencing the wolly mammoth genome from a mammoth found frozen in Russia. I dug around, and found this article at Live Science dot com . . .

So, like, what do mammoths like to eat? But, more imporantly, what do they taste like?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,092 • Replies: 19
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
This was a project that was being followed for a few years and I always got a kick from the name 'The Jarkov" mammoth. I kid you not.

They were browsers and could handle tall grass prairie, and stuff like maples and aspens .
The little guys in Baffin Island had evolved into smaller sized probably as the weather changed and the trrain became more barren ground tundra rather than mixed softwood and conifer (taiga). A few of the mammoth species wound up in southern climes and they have recently found enough DNA to show PCR partial matches on certain local species of living elephant in S E Asia. Those guys have developed a taste for large amounts of cultivated crops.

Barbequed Pachyribs natch, with some down home Piedmont sour end slappin sauce and some sides a greens /n hamhocks with some sweet taters and crowder peas. NOW thats what Im talkin about. Put in a great big hunk of my dear sweet mommas hot buttered corn bread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:41 pm
Yer makin' me drool, there, Boss . . .
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:46 pm
Well let's see...if they ate leaves and grass and the such I would figure they would taste like something along the lines of a vegetarian mammal. Perhaps a little of a side of beef combined with elephant and maybe, depending on their precise location even a bit of a moose flavoring. Possibly a smidegeon of buffalo tasting similarity.

Rather sad that I may never get to sink my teeth into a tasty mammoth burger...cooked rare, with the evidence of the grill seared onto the outside. Served with some sauteed onions and a raw onion or two as well (one can never eat too many onions). A pile of fries on the side and maybe some cheese...have to think about that part. Slobber over it and devour rapidly while moaning as the ecstasy of it all takes hold.

And could I get a diet Dr.Pepper with that as well?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:56 pm
It all sounds good to me . . . except the diet part . . . i do love Dr. Pepper, but wont' drink it in Canada--too much anti-freeze in it . . .
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:56 pm
If it is like beef,

I like it med rare, abt 145 F
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 03:07 pm
Mmmm.. Can I get a mammoth rump roast? Yikes! I'd better go get a bigger freezer...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:16 pm
It would likely taste pretty much like elephant.

And Set is evil....

His name is an anagram of "satan et"...and it appears satan wishes he'd et mammoth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:17 pm
So what does elephant taste like, Miss Wabbit?

I though you lagomorphs were supposed to be vegans . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:40 pm
I have never eaten elephant, nor would I...but, I bet it tastes like.......

chicken.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:16 pm
From what I read, they sequenced the mitychondrial dna - not the whole dna string. Maybe this is new news.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:42 pm
so, at least we will know a lot about Mrs Mammoth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:46 pm
The article and the radio interview which i heard neither one specified what particular type of DNA had been sequenced. The gentleman referred to in the article and interviewed today stated that they had sequenced one percent of the DNA in a remarkably short period of time, and looked forward to completing the entire sequence in about a year. If they were specifically referring to the mitochondrial DNA, i missed it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:47 pm
Er, isn't mitochondrial dna often a visitor dna? (dim memories of this stuff)..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:56 pm
Well, I didn't read your link, yet, Set, so I could easily be out on a limb.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:58 pm
What i linked was just something i came up with quickly while listening to the interview on the radio . . . if you've got more complete information, it would be appreciated . . . i found it very interesting that there is a contention afloat that mammoth could be "resurrected.

I bet they charge through the nose for mammoth steaks, though . . .
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:25 pm
You won't be eating mammoth steaks any time soon but buffalo are a different question. They're close to having the herds to a point where buffalo meat could become common. The stupidest thing the white man ever did was bringing european cattle to the Americas; there were perfectly good meat animals here which don't have any of the problems which cattle have trying to live here, the most major of which was the bison.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:33 pm
Analyzing organellar DNA from mitochondria has been the only method of studying ancient DNA in the past, as it is more tractable due to its 1000-fold higher copy number per cell. However, the mitochondrial genome codes for only a tiny fraction of an organism's genetic information -- 0.0006 percent in the case of a mammal. In contrast, most hereditary information is organized on chromosomes located in the cell's nucleus (nuclear DNA). A mammoth was chosen for study in part because of its close evolutionary relationship to the African elephant, whose nuclear DNA sequence has been made publicly available by the Broad Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts (USA). Using comparisons with elephant DNA, the researchers identified 13 million base pairs as being nuclear DNA from the mammoth, which they showed to be 98.5 percent identical to nuclear DNA from an African elephant. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-12/ps-ssd121905.php

Does anyone know if 'nuclear dna' is the same as 'mitichondrial dna'?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:50 pm
Some of you might want to check this one out:

http://www.mammothpublications.com/gpage.html

There's reason to think that a handfull of mammoths may have persisted in North America until the time of Queen Elizabeth. I'd heard this from renaissance historians before the internet age as well.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:43 pm
dlowan wrote:
I have never eaten elephant, nor would I...but, I bet it tastes like.......

chicken.

I thought you were gonna say, Rabbit. That would have been much more twisted. Smile
0 Replies