I Found a Bunch of Money...Now What?

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:27 am
No, I didn't find a bunch of money. I lost it.

And since I don't have it back, it made me wonder.....how many people out there feel it's perfectly fine to keep money you find in a public place? By public place, I mean in a store. Somewhere you can turn in the money. The street is a different story all together since there is no way you'd be able to find the owner. **Lost: Lots of money. Looks sort of new. Green. Please call if you find.**

Here is the scenario:
You are in a department store. It's Christmas time and you know that a lot of people are carrying a lot of money around. You spy a bank envelope under the rack of clothes you are looking at. Curiosity gets the best of you and you pick it up. Inside is $100 in cash. You look around to see if there is anyone around you but no one is really that close to you. You could take it and no one would know. Or you could take it to the counter and hope the person who lost it, comes to claim it. What do you do?

No need to post an answer. The poll answer will suffice. Is it ok to you to keep money you find?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,767 • Replies: 47
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
This reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine. He was walking around in a video store, looking at movies, and as he turned into one of the aisles he noticed a twenty dollar bill on the floor. He looked around, saw that no one was looking, and picked the bill up and quickly put it in his pocket. He then left.

When he got to the next stop, the liquor store, he decided to treat himself to a extra 12pack, since he now had some extra money.

The bill came to 32 dollars. He reached in his pocket for the two twenties he had -- the one he had found, and one that he originally had.

There was only one twenty in his pocket.

He had picked up his own twenty dollar bill.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:33 am
I'd probably turn it in regardless -- I'm just superstitious/ Minnesotan/ something enough that even if I thought it would be minimally acceptable, I just couldn't.

Did the bank envelope have any info on it, though, or just totally blank? Name (good) or account number (bad)?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:36 am
Ha Gus!

There was a marketing campaign in L.A. that I fell for (and then used on several other people) that looked just like a folded-in-quarters 20 on the ground (outside). You see it, your eyes bug out, you grab it, you put it in your pocket and then at your leisure take it out and ogle it -- and when you unfold it find some sort of promotional message on a half-size 20. (As in, when folded it looks like it's folded in quarters and "good" from both sides, but it's really folded in half with 20 printing on the outside and message on the inside.)

Psych!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:36 am
Just my name. Nothing that would cause further trouble for me.

It just chaps my ass that people can be so dishonest.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:37 am
If it's your name, they should get it back to you.

When did it happen? Maybe they still will...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:38 am
Soz, when you lived in Minnesota, did you ever hang out on Lake Minnetonka?

I had some good times on that lake.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:39 am
In your scenario I'd turn it in. If I found it on the street where I thought that the likelihood of finding the owner was very small, and anyone I turned it in to would probably keep it themselves, then I would keep it. Of course, I've lost money too so I know how it sucks, but I make myself feel better by imagining that someone found it who really really needed it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:40 am
You've seen Purple Rain, haven't you?

Nobody appreciated that line like a native Minnesotan.

But no, I was more a Nokomis kinda gal.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:41 am
sozobe wrote:
If it's your name, they should get it back to you.

When did it happen? Maybe they still will...

Just my first name. Sad

I've called the store. No one turned it in.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:41 am
My sister lives on Lake Nokomis.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:42 am
Aw.

I like FreeDuck's take.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:44 am
I think I saw you one time, soz, on the corner of Hennepin and Lake. You were walking into Calhoun Square.

I believe you had a Barnes and Nobles tote bag.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:45 am
Really, Gus?

<that man is SO untrustworthy...>

Purple Rain is like the best movie ever.

"That ain't Lake Minnetonka..."

OK it's the best movie ever if you're 14 and live in Minneapolis and sneak into First Avenue now and then...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:46 am
Somebody's been Googling...

What's that area you just described called?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:49 am
Uptown
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:49 am
I'd probably keep coins, but I'd turn in folding money.

Bellla, you're now due for a substantial piece of good luck.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:50 am
hmmmmmmmmm... Cool

Anyway, back to Bella's cri de coeur. (Sorry 'bout the money, chica.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:51 am
I have found wallets in the past. If there is some sort of identification, I will call the owner. Once I mailed the guy's wallet back to him.

If the money is unidentifible, and let's say I was in a department store, I would go to customer service, tell them I that I found the money. I would not tell the store the amount. If someone were looking for it, I would tell the store to contact me, and I would return the money.

If I found money with no identification in the street, I would wait around for a bit, to see if someone appeared to be dearching for something. If no one came, then I would keep it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:54 am
I usually turn any "found money" in a store over to the Customer Service desk - I can't recall any times when I haven't... I have found that they usually don't seem to have a policy for handling these sorts of things though. A few times I've gone back the next day and asked if anyone claimed the money and the people there never seem to know what happened to it. My own guess is that the manager adds it to the days till and that's that.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I Found a Bunch of Money...Now What?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:03:59