I Found a Bunch of Money...Now What?

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:56 am
fishin wrote:
My own guess is that the manager adds it to the days till and that's that.

Or the manager adds it to his own pocket. That is why I won't tell customer service how much money is involved. Only me and the person who lost the money would know.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:01 am
How about if you receive too much change? What do you do then?

I've had clerks mistakenly give me change for a twenty when I've handed them a five.

I'll thank them and then go on my way before they realize their mistake.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:06 am
i have had that happen once.
I kept the change
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:07 am
I give it back. Clerks can lose their jobs or be required to make up the difference out of their own pockets.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:08 am
You and I are nothing but a couple of crooks, shewolf.

A sort of modern day Bonnie and Clyde.

Wanna kill some people a little later on today?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:08 am
Sure Bonnie
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:09 am
What do I care if a clerk loses his/her job, freeduck?

Are you accusing me of compassion?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:09 am
Let me just straighten my hose and I'll be right over, shewolf.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:12 am
I always correct the clerk with change too. What goes around comes around.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:17 am
When I was a teenager, I had a Saturday job in a supermarket, and one of my tasks was to sweep the floor of the store, just after it had closed.

On two occasions I found things of value. The first was a make up bag, absolutely stuffed with £10 notes (£1300 in all) and I handed it in to the Manager. About ten minutes later, a woman started banging on the shop window, asking to be let in. She went to the Manager and described what she had lost, and didn't seem all that relieved to have it handed back to her.
It was a cash payment for a family holiday that she was taking to the nearby travel agent.
The manager, thinking that I should get the credit, pointed me out from a distance and told her that I was the one that handed it in.
She didn't even bother to come across and thank me.

The second occasion, I found what I thought was a cheap, silver looking dress watch. Again, I handed it in. An old lady came in the following day and made enquiries, and broke down crying when she got it back.
It was a platinum watch, set with (20 or so) diamonds, that her husband had bought her for their platinum wedding anniversary, and he had died a couple of months later.
She offered me a reward, and being polite (and just feeling good, that she had been reunited with her watch) I said I didn't want anything.
There was a mock fight about giving me money for about five minutes, but she made me take £10.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:20 am
You should have kept the money and the watch, Lord Ellpus.

I was just beginning to like you.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:25 am
I know what you mean about the money, Gus. I must admit I was tempted at the time........
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:37 am
Thanks guys!

I keep thinking that yes, someone who really needed it has it but let's be realistic...if you are shopping at the mall, you probably don't need it that badly. At least not anymore than I do. So who ever has it is probably wearing designer jeans...on me. Arg.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
I remember one time last winter, I was going to buy my new $500 snowboard... so I had the money on me and went to the store to start looking, but me and my ex got into an arguement and left the store before we could buy anything... we go into the car and drove for 20 minutes, and then I realized that I had lost my wallet with the $500 in it!!

So I called the store and asked them to look around the isles, they said nobody turned anything in and that there was nothing in the isles...

But instead of listening to the store employees I had to go look for myself and I headed back to the store.... as I walked in the first thing I saw was my big black wallet sitting right in the middle of the isle we were in.... all the money still there... I went up to the store clerk and asked for the person I spoke with... raised my voice at them for lying to me and saying they looked, because it was the most obvious thing on the floor...

Still surprised to this day that it sat there in a busy store for almost an hour and not one person picked it up!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:01 am
I went back to look. Nothing. Nada. Gone.

Scooped up by the first person who walked by.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:25 pm
I voted for Other,so I'm explaining.
1. Luckily,I'm solvent.I can afford to live comfortably.Any money I take out with me,I can afford to spend,or lose.If I lose it,Tough Titty.It might teach me to be that little bit more careful next time.So,yes,I would hand in any money found in a shop and ask for a receipt.If not claimed in a month,I would reclaim the money and put it in the nearest charity box.But if I found it on the street,who would I hand it in to.Do you really trust The Boys In Blue Rolling Eyes
2. If I were out of work,living on a day-to day basis,then yes,I would pocket the money without any hesitation.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:43 pm
Bella Dea,

I am sorry this happened to you. I think it's a shame that no one turned your money in.

I would turn it in to the police. Usually, if no one claims it after thirty days, it is then given to the person that turned it in. At least, that is what they (the police) do here in Louisiana.

I'd feel guilty keeping it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:56 pm
About 3 years ago, about this time of year, I went to a ATM inside of a small bank in a different town. I was going to get a few dollars out of the machine. To my surprise, there was money coming out of the machine as I approached it. I do not know how much, but there was several $50 & $20 dollar bills coming out. Nobody else was in this area which is outside of the bank doors. It would be very easy to pick the money up and put it into my pocket without anybody knowing. I should add that I was in the process of being downsized from my job of 38 years at the time.

What did I do?

I immediately thought of a little old lady or man who may have been making a withdrawal and leaving before the money came out. My Christian morals told me what had to be done.

I scooped up the large bundle of cash without counting it and immediately walked into the bank and told them that someone had left this money at ATM number 1. They took the money.

They never asked me my name or anything. I do not know if the person got their money back. I do not know if the bank person put the money into their own pocket and smiled to themself at their good fortune.

I have often wondered what happened, but I have never regretted turning the money in. BTW.... I am still unemployed.

While it is doubtful that you will every see your money again, I didn't want you to give up on your fellow man because of it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:36 pm
I would feel guilty keeping it too, no matter what happened to it after it left my hands. That would be someone elses decision to "steal" it, should they decide to pocket it after I turned it in.

Thanks guys.

I am "over" it but it still really bums me out. I mean, who wouldn't be bummed over losing $100?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:43 pm
Oh man! That's a lot of money to lose, Bella Dea. It's hard for me to think anyone could justify keeping something that is not theirs. For Pete's sake, they don't know that money might have belonged to a senior citizen that lives on just a few hundred dollars a month.

I think if people would think things like that, it would sure be nice.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 07:08:25