6yr old dog peeing in house.........

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm
I have a 6yr old Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, he started wanting to go out in the middle of the night, now he is peeing in the house, mostly when I leave him alone when going out. It is not for a long time or anything 1hr to 3hrs. This has been going on for a few months now. he is now peeing on the christmas tree(fake) and some other decorations. I just do not know what to do. He means way to much to me to get rid of him, I have had him all his life so this is not an option. I am dealing with it as best I can but it is starting to bother me. I still have his kennel (cage) I guess I am going to start using it.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,048 • Replies: 6
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:48 pm
Welcome Griffen, you'll find lots of animal lovers here....

Have you spoken with your vet about this? Seems like a good place to start. My dog has an old leaky bladder and is on a drug called proin which helps the bladder control itself. However, my sister's dog pees in the house when she's anxious and she's on anti-anxiety pills (yes it's true).

If he's 6 and it's just starting, I'd be concerned he has a health issue that needs addressing by your vet. Kenneling him may just add to anxiety if that's his problem. Make an appointment, keep him kenneled if you have to until you see your vet.

Is he drinking water excessively? Is there a lot of urine where he goes? Is the urine a normalcolor?

And what in the world is a Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog anyway?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:49 pm
I looked them up on google - gorgeous breed!
0 Replies

Griffen13

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:08 pm
CATA WHAT???
I live in Ohio and these dogs are not very common here, I think I have heard of one other person other than my vet who knows what they are. They are used for hunting and herding down south, but I just wanted a pet. They are great dogs.

Thank you for the info,
I have been to the vet and we did some pretty highend tests Costly too. They did urine, blood, thyroid, tested for diabetes and a few other things. All of them came back negitive. So from what I have read this is pointing me towards behavior problem such as Separation anxiety?? Though I am still in need of help for this as well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:16 pm
I'm glad you ruled out disease. Maybe you could try an anti-anxiety pill.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:50 am
Hmmm....it sounds as if it is behavioural.

I would try having a good search around on the net for "behavioural problems in dogs" (or words to that effect), and have a word with your Vet as to whether they can guide you to a good book, or contact address which may be of help.

Have you changed anything in his routine......introduced a new pet? Cut back on his walks? etc etc...

If he has been bred to be a working dog (herding etc) it will mean that his breed is used to just that. Working.
A typical herding dog (UK) can cover a distance of 40 miles a day and think nothing of it. If a working dog is confined to the house as a pet, it usually goes a bit "stir crazy" if it doesn't get enough exercise.
This can result in all sorts of weird behaviour, ranging from destructiveness through to aggression and nervous anxiety.

There is an old saying here in the UK among Vets......"A tired dog is a good dog".

Are you wearing him out each day? That's probably what he needs.

Talk to a breeder of Catahoulers, and see what he/she says about it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:08 am
What a fascinating breed! By the breeding mix, he sounds as if he is quite a large lad.

....."Once called a "Catahoula Cur", the foundation of the Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog came from the Red Wolf, which was in Louisiana in the 1500's, the Mastiff and Greyhound which were brought by DeSoto in 1541, and the Bas Rouge (Beauceron) brought by the French in the early 1700's. Together these four canines contributed in part to the inception of the Catahoula that we know today."

........"A Catahoula requires a minimum of one hour of running exercise each day, rain or shine. If the dog is kept outdoors, this is not a problem, but, if he is an indoor dog, he must get this exercise. Daily walks or runs in a yard are sufficient, but necessary. Since this dog has the inherent nature to herd and track game, he needs the exercise to release some of that penned up energy."

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/mammals/dogs/dog3091.html
0 Replies