Couple claims world's largest family

flushd

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:41 am
There is something disturbing to me about women who choose this for themselves. I see them in my hometown. I will refrain from mentioning the specifics, however these women are all (every one of them) from a certain small European country. They come here for the farmland and to raise ridiculously large families. I have a serious aversion to these types of families. The women are all ages, and they always seem to be pregnant when you see 'em. Pop out a kid and get pregnant right away. Eight kids is a small family. Rolling Eyes
Part of my aversion is the way it alters my view of the women. They look more and more like pure flesh. Every year they look more and more used up. Food for the kids. Raising kids. There seems to be nothing else to their existence. It goes against everything I care about.
The other thing is the amount of land these families use and the spread of nepotism. A simple case of one worldview going against my own - on what I consider to be my home.

I don't care if the family is rich or poor. It doesn't matter to me. Families this size represent a different approach to the world. In my opinion, it is an approach which should not be encouraged.

I have nothing against a single individual, but I do disagree with this style of building the world.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:29 am
msolga wrote:
...but when there's something like 17 children, that's putting far too much on the older ones. Unfair, & quite selfish of the parents.

Bingo! Give the woman a prize.

Well-stated! That's another aspect of this situation and couple's wanting large families.

<2 thumbs up>
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
flushd, good post! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:39 am
Last night my daughter-in-law and I decided that the real choice in Women's Lib is not Home vs. Career, but Children vs. No Children.

Be Fruitful and Multiply has alternatives.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:40 am
So, is this like, a thing that happens on a significant scale?

Is it occurring more than it used to?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:22 am
nimh wrote:
Is it occurring more than it used to?

I've got no hard facts, but my impression is that some young couples are opting for a "no children" family these days.

I can count my oldest daughter as one of those.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:28 am
Reyn wrote:
I've got no hard facts, but my impression is that some young couples are opting for a "no children" family these days.

I have the same impression. I think that some women are opting for professional careers, rather than children and family.

Ultimately, I believe that this might just cause a problem. If the smarter and well educated women are not reproducing at a similar rate as the average woman, overall, the population, over time, will become less bright.

And we have enough problems with "dumbing down" as it is!!! Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:08 am
Phoenix--

I agree with you about the wrong people having babies to the detriment of the Western gene pool.

Fortunately there are plenty of fertile third-world women with neglected potential.

Unfortunately the rates of ADHD, Autism, and a slew of other serious mental quirks are rising.

We have sown the wind and we are reaping the whirlwind.
0 Replies

kidneyboy

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:22 am
I come from a family of 16 children. All single births by same mom and same dad. I enjoy being from a large family and don't think it is selfish at all to have a large family, if anything it is very unselfish. My mother would do anything for anybody and so will her 16 children. We are all very close and enjoy being with each other.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 10:14 am
What a nice post, kidneyboy! Welcome to A2K!

I think large families are great if you can afford it.
Unfortunately, most people can't.
0 Replies

croker

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:46 pm
my father is the youngest of 23
Crough family
PeterboroughOntario canada
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 08:33 pm
How big was the house that they lived in?
0 Replies

shabih

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 06:22 am
There are other families having more than 17 children
There is one family in Haryana , India .
They have 23 children, and they are waiting for the 24th one as well
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 06:57 am
According to the Guinness Book of Records, a Russian woman had 4 sets of quads, 7 sets of triplets and 16 sets of twins, total is 69.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:35 am
Glad this thread has been revived.

I suppose whether it's seen as a selfish/not selfish, negative/positive thing lies soley within that family.

Unrelated to the ethics of this, I think it's interesting how large families make ends meet.

I think I described this before, but I thought it was pretty smart....

Years ago, on Oprah, she had a show with all really large families.

One guy owned a McDonalds, and although the natural reaction might be they all eat junk food, that wasn't so. Because he was the owner, he was able to buy so many things cheaply and in bulk for his family. Think about it...

All paper products
Condiments
eggs
bread products (english muffins, buns)
milk
cheese (ok, that cheese is pretty disgusting)
juice
hamburger and chicken and fish (the breading could be removed if they wanted it healthier)
potatos (no one says you have to deep fry them)
salad
cleaning supplies

I think that's pretty cool.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:46 am
Chai wrote:
Glad this thread has been revived.

Glad to see you on it! Very Happy

Like your new avatar!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:38 am
It's Oscar the Death Cat.

U R Next
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:22 am
Well....
Sure it is up to the family. Each person can make a decision as to how many kids they want to have.

My question is how do you get to know 17 kids well? How do you guide and love them well. It is hard enough for me to do right by my three. I know different people have different ideas about what is important in life but there is education and clothing and food and even just good old fashioned discipline. It would be like having a classroom of kids all the time. And it has to get old fast. But to each his own and God bless and keep them and their 17 children!

eek! Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:30 am
My grandparents on my mothers side had 11 kids and there were 13 on my fathers side.
The older children helped with the younger ones, which is how they managed back then and some had grown and moved out by the time the youngest were born.

I was a single mom with one child, so I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to have all those kids Shocked
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 12:37 pm
Re: Well....
mismi40 wrote:
My question is how do you get to know 17 kids well? How do you guide and love them well.

I don't buy that.

How do you get to know 17 children well?
By carrying them in your womb for 9 months, giving birth to them, living with them.
You get to know them while your teaching them how to care for the littler ones coming up, and watching how they do. You don't only get to know someone by being alone with them. You'll get to know them by seeing how they interact with you as well as a bunch of other people, which IMO may be even more important than how they are with you individually. A person is a sum of many things. Who they are with one parent, and who are with society as a whole.

Also, love is not a finite thing. It's not as if it's in a cup, and when it empties you say, "I have no more love to give."
0 Replies