Selling my old vinyl

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:54 pm
I'm considering selling off my old vinyl records so I did some research on them today and sent an email to a store that buys old vinyl. I sent the band name, title, and the details of the pressing (based on my research of how to note such details) for a few choice items.

The store I sent the inquiry too responded very quickly saying that they were interested in seeing the collection and that the titles I had for sale were ones they were interested in.

Some of the records I have are pretty rare so the prices for good used copies range from $40 to $140 while most sell for about $8 -$16.

Is 30% of what I've found for "retail" a good offer?

All of the albums are in great shape, most of the jackets are in good shape and most have intact liner notes and inserts.

I want to make sure I get a fair price.

Any help appreciated!

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:12 pm
@boomerang,
30% sounds about normal.

If you have valuable collectors items, E-bay can surprise you...
boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:34 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah.... I know..... I just don't think I have the time to hassle with trying to sell them myself. I'd really rather just do it all at once since prolonging the ordeal makes it hurt more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:37 pm
@boomerang,
I'm interested too, as I have a pretty good trove.
BillRM

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:47 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
rather just do it all at once since prolonging the ordeal makes it hurt more.

I would suggest, if you had not done so yet, consider converting the music on them to mp3 files before selling them.

It will hurt a hell of a lot less.
boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:10 pm
@BillRM,
Honestly, some of the music is pretty crappy. The albums that are worth the most are the ones that I like the least. They're pretty serious hard core punk.

But they're pretty cool.

And rare!

They've been sitting in my basement for 30 years. They've been stored well, though, so that has helped them keep their value. Many of them are early pressings, or were printed in small editions, or are pre-release promotional albums, or have certain other qualities that make them valuable.

In most cases it's the object that holds my affection, not the content of the object.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:23 pm
@ossobuco,
I got some prices from a lot of sites but www.musicstack.com seemed to have a lot of information based on the issue numbers (or whatever they're called).

You have to be careful though -- it lists prices from all over the world. What might sell for a lot in Greece or Argentina or whatever goes for pennies in America.

I looked up all the prices for certain pressings and averaged it out to arrive at what I thought might be a reasonable price. I could still be way off.

Some of mine are autographed, etc., and it's hard to find equivalents.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:23 pm
@boomerang,
Boomer- At one time, we had about 6,000 records. When we moved down south, we had to get rid of some of them.

We put an ad in the paper. Some guy from Ohio came over to N.Y. in his truck. He bought a bunch of classical records. We had a lot of the old Mercury Living Presence records. The guy gave us around $15- a record, some a bit more. The recordings were absolutely pristine.

For one record, we were paid $250- (For those who are interested, it was Mercury Living Presence's "Hi-Fi-a La Espana") He told us that he had many of the records pre-sold in Japan and Germany. For the $250- one, he had presold it for $900-

Anyhow, the best thing is to check on e-bay, and see what people are asking for a particular record.

Also, if you have a local paper, you might want to put an ad there.
boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 09:29 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Wow! Nice.

As I mentioned, the price differs greatly depending on the country it's being sold in so I totally get what that guy was doing.

I'd love to think mine was a treasure trove but I think if I can get $350 for all of them that I'll be happy.
0 Replies