Is there hope for rock and roll?

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:37 am
Its not ska though is it? its reggae.

I agree with questioner though. Its shite. Only a personal opinion of course. But it does my head in. especially that song about 'nobody likes a bogan' WTF?
I say if rock and roll is going to be doomed to having trumpets in for the rest of eternity, then it will have no future as far as im concered.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 02:00 pm
There are plenty of great old bands w/ horns in their songs. A horn section isn't a bad thing necessarily.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
The Beatles had TONS of horns, you classic rock junkies, you.

Chicago BLOWS.

So, horns, not the best measure of a band's talent or lackthereof?

I like good artists. I've found good artists in every genre. A large portion of the millions of whitey ska bands that popped up in the 90s suck, in my opinion, but I can't condemn the whole genre. Fishbone rules the skool. The Subhumans flirt with ska.

Why are people always confusing today's pop/country with real country. Johnny Cash rules, so does George Jones and Hank Williams (the first one). These are all artists.

People who dis on entire genres often have heard very little of what that genre has to offer. That's what I think.

The radio is a horrible measure of what music is out there. Horrible. So if your opinion comes from what you heard on the radio, do like Slappy, and on a rainy day just surf the net and READ about bands and listen to samples. It's fun!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:08 pm
Wait, disregard that last post of mine.

Christian indie rock sucks. All Christian rock sucks. And all screamo bands suck.

So I'm a hypocrite.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:10 pm
not a bright eyes fan?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:47 pm
The music industry is all about fads. Music companies push whatever package they can make the most money on. And every era attests to different musical love affairs.
Big Hair music has got its place but I doubt it will ever rules the air waves again. I think more people are branching out. I think radio as we know it is dead too. With satelite radio the days of being clubbed to death with the same drivel is gone. Whether is be Rap, country, rap, ska, whatever...
Most people I know are dial flippers. They don't listen to the same thing, the same genre or the same anything. For all of you that hate whatever type of music it is you hate, this too shall pass.
If there is a market for rock'n'roll, there will someone to fill the stage.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:30 pm
I have to agree with Gargamel, most all music can be appreciated if you look in the right place.

I really like these bands that are sort of crossover bands and really have unique sounds that are great.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:14 am
yeah I would agree with gargamel, sorry i was so general in my last post, yes there are great songs with horn sections in, and i think a decent amount of music can be found in each genre, but i dont generaly like ska, or regae for that matter.
however, ghost town by the specials is a BRILLIANT song. so i guess im a hypocritte to. we are all hypocrittes.

christian rock: hmm, yes most of its crap as it defies the whole purpose and meaning of rock and roll (sex and drugs) however 'majesty' by delirious is quite good, though obviously im not a christian.
0 Replies