Is there hope for rock and roll?

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:46 pm
I think there is hope for rock and roll.

Last night I attended the most amazing concert. The bands that played were Shinedown, Silvertide and Halestorm.

These bands and others like them are bringing to good ol' days in music back, but will the suits 'n' ties allow it?

Things said about silvertide in particular:

Philadelphia Magazine said "If Steven Tyler and Aerosmith sipped from the Fountain of Youth, this is what they'd sound like as 20-year-olds!"

England's Metal Hammer Magazine summed them up perfectly. "There are 4 ingredients involved in Silvertide: those being their Led Zeppelin swagger, Black Crowes grooves, and a touch of Aerosmith sleaze, all fueled by Guns and Roses attitude! You want rock and roll like it used to be? These are your guys!"

This show was amazing. Everything that could've happenened did, and the energy was unparalleled.

My question is this: Do you think that rock and roll will be able to come back and shove this garbage music we here to do, this commercial crap, out of the forefront.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,526 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Punkjab

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 02:42 pm
No music is garbage my friend. It's all in the ears of the beholder. What kind of music do you mean by "garbage" though?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:33 pm
Extreme Garbage would be Ashlee Simpson, Jesse McCartney, Phantom Planet, and plenty of other bands that are created by the record labels and aren't what fans of rock and roll consider music.
0 Replies

Punkjab

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:10 pm
I see. Well, I could agree about Ashlee Simpson, but I haven't really heard the other two. I don't even think that Ashlee knows how to sing, it's just her image. Some of her songs are okay though, but the fact that she's actually not really singing them kills the feeling.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:15 pm
Punkjab wrote:
No music is garbage my friend. It's all in the ears of the beholder. What kind of music do you mean by "garbage" though?

Ska is shite.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:26 pm
Quote:
Is there hope for rock and roll?

No
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:38 pm
Razz My way of marking
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:21 pm
Questioner wrote:

Ska is shite.

you're wrong if you mean all of it. reggae is directly derived from Jamaican ska by way of Rock Steady, and reggae isn't garbage, so it's unlikely ska is garbage, anymore than rock could be non-garbage while rock's predecessors were garbage.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:31 pm
yitwail wrote:
Questioner wrote:

Ska is shite.

you're wrong if you mean all of it. reggae is directly derived from Jamaican ska by way of Rock Steady, and reggae isn't garbage, so it's unlikely ska is garbage, anymore than rock could be non-garbage while rock's predecessors were garbage.

If I wanted to allude that reggae is shite, I would have said reggae is shite.

And when I say Ska, I am referring to the music that was later labeled as Ska, such as The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and similar rubbish.

Or as I put it earlier, Ska is shite.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:32 pm
alright, is Simmer Down by Bob Marley & the Wailers garbage? because it's ska.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:34 pm
yitwail wrote:
alright, is Simmer Down by Bob Marley & the Wailers garbage? because it's ska.

If it sounds like the type of music I labeled above, then yes, it's shite.

There is very little reggae music that I appreciate. I do enjoy some of the Bob Marley & the Wailers, but would hardly attribute it to what is modernly labeled 'ska', regardless of how you wish to label it.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:36 pm
ok, thanks for clarifying. in your opinion, it's garbage, and in my opinion it's not.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:37 pm
Let me rephrase it like this:

Modern Ska Bands are Shite.

Also let me add:

Country is shite.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 06:21 pm
Hey, C.S. You and I haven't interacted since the poetry inspiration. <smile>

Let's realize that music is a mood thing. Some is for dancing; some for just sittin' and listening; others for experimenting; others are just there for those who need it when they need it.

Although jazz is what I do best, I love certain country music because of the rhythm. What's garbage and shite to one, may well be a healing spring to others. It depends on the setting event.
0 Replies

imnidiot

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 07:38 pm
There is hope for rock, but it is always changing. As long as there are musicians who are influenced by ohter rock musicians, they will always use some of their style and riffs, and incorporate it into their own style. All music is evolutionary and is influenced by it's predecessors. As Pete Townsend sang it, "Long live rock!"
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:21 pm
Questioner wrote:
yitwail wrote:
Questioner wrote:

Ska is shite.

If I wanted to allude that reggae is shite, I would have said reggae is shite.

And when I say Ska, I am referring to the music that was later labeled as Ska, such as The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and similar rubbish.

Or as I put it earlier, Ska is shite.

I like the mighty mighty bosstones. For some reason they have some music that just makes you wanna turn it up and jam.

I can understand that music is in the ear of the beholder and all of that, but some music isn't original from the artist, they're not inspired and writing thier own songs or anything like that.

My main question is about rock and roll. I can appreciate jazz, blues, ska classical, country, metal, alternative....the list goes on. But I'm talking classic rock, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Allman Brothers, etc.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:41 pm
Well I'm a music nut. Looked up the band online, read some reviews, and just ordered the cd from amazon for $5, among a couple other cds.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:44 pm
Haha...Mili Vanili cd's are commanding up to $45 on amazon. Must be a huge demand for "Blame it on the Rain."
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:56 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:

My main question is about rock and roll. I can appreciate jazz, blues, ska classical, country, metal, alternative....the list goes on. But I'm talking classic rock, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Allman Brothers, etc.

I have no doubts that the above will continue to be played for many years yet. Now, if by 'hope' you mean will rock albums of this type continue to be forthcoming, I would venture that yes, we will see a few. However, in all likelihood they will be little more than tribute bands and retro-cultish groups looking to fill a niche that's given way to pop and rap.

That's not to say that there won't be many classic rock junkies for a few more years to come (until we all die off, that is.)
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:46 am
might I add I hate rap.
0 Replies