Digital or satellite radio - which?

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:53 am
Given that our local classical music station is going to be sold and no longer broadcasting classical, which is the most likely approach to classical music broadcasting - digital radio or satellite? Which gives the most stations/channels and the widest variety of choice?

I need info on Boston area service, but think satellite can provide music from around the world, no?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,164 • Replies: 39
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:55 pm
Satellite will give you the best selection and it doesn't matter where you are.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:07 pm
But don't you need your own satellite dish?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:52 pm
The reciever comes with everything you need to pick up satellite radio. It is about the size of a pack of cigerettes. Sirius or XM are the two choices. They charge a monthly fee.

I think digital radio will still be free broadcast.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 03:28 am
I don't know what people here think of devices like the Squeezebox from Slim devices.

Can connect through a wireless interface to the computer and you are able to listen to any radio station on the web plus it can play back any audio on the computer , CD's and so on. But of course need to check your system specs with thier minimum requirement.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:23 am
But woouldn't you have to have a sound system to hook the receiver up to?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:29 am
Re: Digital or satellite radio - which?
Tomkitten wrote:
But woouldn't you have to have a sound system to hook the receiver up to?

Get a satellite radio that retransmits an FM signal that you can pick up on your existing radio if you don't have a stereo that you can plug it into. These receivers will plug into any stereo system.

I'm not excited about digital radio because there are no good stations in my area. I love my satellite radios.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:23 am
I am looking into satellite for a Christmas gift for my dad. They seem to be VERY popular this year, since I've seen a lot of XM ads and Howard Stern's move to Sirius...Personally, I can't see my dad wanting to contribute his subscription dollars to HStern's ridiculous salary--like 500 million or something...so I think I'll go with XM. Plus I may steal it to listen to the new Bob Dylan program XM is talking about.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:57 am
The Sirius table top stand-alone model seems the best bet, though pricey. It gets AM and FM as well as satellite. I'm Seriusly considering it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:03 am
I have XM in my 2 cars, and on the internet (The internet is a freebee, if you have the service). There are 3 classical stations. One is serious classical, one opera, the other popular classics. You can get a free 3 day trial on your computer. You can't get any of the news stations on the computer, that you can get when you have the service. I absolutely love it. We went out west, and got clear signals everywhere. My son has it. He has it on a boombox, and a Walkman type thingie. Check it out!

http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/index.jsp
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:09 am
I bought stock in sirius last summer. 'nuf said?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:11 am
XM looks to me like more popular stuff. Does anyone know what classical stations Sirius has?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:17 am
Well, on sirius 80, you get the mainline classical such as Brahms, Bach, Mozart, Haydn Schubert etc there are a few others with "light" classical and one (I think 85) that is classical vocal operas and such.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:18 am
Actually,I don't listen to music on my computer much. It's my Sig. Oth. who is in charge of music, and listening from the recliner in the livingroom which I can hear very nicely in this room. The problem is location location location - how to match the location of the radio with the hearing ability of the listener., plus, of course, the apparent end to classical music broadcasting in the Boston area, except for bits and pieces, especially in the evening - the evening will be a total desert if CRB gives up the ghost.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
About contributing to Howard Stern's (I agree, ridiculous) salary - think of your money supporting the last ditch stand of classical radio.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:29 am
Re: Digital or satellite radio - which?
I have both XM and Sirius, and I do have to say that I think the music that they play on XM is better. Ofcourse, that's a matter of personal preference. Serious has bigger name DJ's. For example, several of the old MTV VJ's who were big in the '80s and are now working for Sirius. Sirius just has bigger name personalities all across the board. But if you're looking for content quality, XM is they way to go. They spend a lot more time figuring out what to play.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:31 am
Here's the entire channel lineup:

The classical is 110, 112, 113

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/full_channel_listing.jsp?sort=number
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
Also, XM has AirAmerica Radio which Sirius stopped carrying last summer. If that's not the best reason to go with XM over Sirius, i don't know what is.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:32 pm
A Tweeter salesman told me that the antenna for Sirius units (I'm interested, specifically, in the Tivoli tabletop model) must be located on a windowsill, and that the window must face south. Is this true?

It seems odd that the receiver could only work if facing one direction, since in a car it would face in various directions according to the way the car is going.

Can someone clear this up for me? I really would like to subscribe, but our windows definitely don't face south; the antenna problem I could most likely deal with, but the directional difficulty has me stumped.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:36 pm
Further thought: I can't get any information from the Sirius telephone number as they require you to enter your account number. But I don't have an account number, because I don't want an account until I know a bit more about this location problem., but I can't get the information because I don't have an account number and so it goes, around and around and around. Kind of a Catch 22.
0 Replies