ferret at university?

fuscia

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:54 pm
Hey all:

I'm assuming no, but
Do they allow students to own a ferret in university [in the dorm rooms].. more specifically - the University of Toronto???

..because I really would like one, but they can live like ten years, and I'll be graduating high school in a couple...

Should I get one, and just work something out? Or, should I just forget about it? :O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 903 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 07:20 pm
Don't get a pet until you are ready to settle down. If you have a pet it will limit your freedom and you are way too young for that to be a good thing. I loved just hoping in a car and going away for days when I was your age because I had no responsibilities. You would have to find a pet sitter if you decide to just take off and go to Europe during the summer. Be free, no ties and one day when you buy a house and have a real job, then you can get all the critters you can afford.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:11 pm
Its just a wee bit more important that you should be concerned about your studies than having a pet in the dormitory. College level classes, especially in the Freshman/Sophmore years, take a lot of a serious student's time and energy. Just adjusting to living "on your own" away from family is difficult for many.

Of course, if you're not a serious student, if you are only going to college to party and have adventurous sexcapades ... get a pet that will attract a lot of attention. When your folks have to scramble to pay your tuition and board, buy your books, keep you clothed in fashionable duds, just tell them you're entitled to a good time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:46 pm
Call the school and ask.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:59 pm
I have to agree with Green Witch. I run a homeless cat shelter. The most often used reason for bringing me a cat is "I am moving and they won't let me have pets there." I always want to ask them if they will let them have their kids? Pets are a responsibility. It is a life! Yes, an animal, but a life nonetheless. And that pet depends on you for it's love, security, and well-being.

When you have a secure home, by all means, get a pet. But, do me a favor? Get a cat? :wink:
0 Replies

fuscia

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:19 pm
thankyou
thanks everybody
makes sense I guess -
I'm not anticipating any sexcapades in my future, so
"sigh" I suppose I'll just wait!

I'll just make do with my cats, which, MOMMA.ANGEL... are from a shelter!

Smile

anyways
thanksabunch
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:24 pm
Bless you fuscia for saving those babies!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:38 pm
Were they bonsai kitties?

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/bkintro.html
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:31 am
In my opinion, ferrets are worse than some other pets - they smell! Ferrets are born with anal scent sacs, but these don't contribute significantly to ferret smell. The distinctive ferret odor comes from musk glands in the skin, which are concentrated around the face and spread over the rest of the body. The strongest contributor to ferret odor is hormonal activity. Hormones stimulate musk production in the skin glands, so the best way to reduce odor (by about 90 percent!) is to spay or neuter your ferret.

Unfortunately, bathing your ferret too often actually makes it smell worse! Bathing strips the ferret's skin of essential oils. The dry ferret overcompensates by producing extra musky oils, which result in a smellier ferret.
0 Replies